Pkhamidar2com's MA Diary :)

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Pkhamidar2com, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

Hey, this is my training log

Currently i do Tangsoodo (TSD), have been since around june - july 2011

I quite like it, its got high kicks which i LOVE!

I have so many goals that i dont have time to list them here now, but i will do later on today, or tomorow.

Anyways ill be posting the martial arts classes i have (which are on tusedays), and the workouts i do at home in order to improve on the martial arts.

Please do follow, and if you have your own MARTIAL ARTS diary (sorry if i am being rude but i only want to follow MA diary, not the weightlifting ones :p) then please link it to me here and i will follow with excitement!

thank you :)

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Another training log, good to have you aboard.

All training logs can be found here, let's keep this for your own training, rather than clog the thread up with further links.

I look forward to the addition of your training regime.

3. hext

hext Valued Member

cool, will look forward to reading this..

Do you not believe that weightlifting will benefit your MA or are you just not including it in you log?

many thanks!

4. Pkhamidar2com

oh yeah i know it will benefit, and i do weight lift when i get the time, but im not interested in it.

5. hext

hext Valued Member

cool...Look forward to your update later tonight :)

I'm not very familiar with too sang do other than it's Korean..

6. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Welcome to the training logs. Check out the Jedi Training log, I'm doing strictly MA training as well.

7. Pkhamidar2com

YAAAY! k gonna follow you now! :) i absolutely love reading about Martial arts haha :) Im always abusing the new posts link at the top looking for more MA's threads.

8. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Welcome to the Training Diary section. You should remember that many of us who are posting weightlifting/conditioning diaries are using the lifting/conditioning to supplement MA training. In my case I'm not training MAs at the moment because of injury, but I hope to restart in the next couple of months and will be logging MA sessions along side the lifting.

9. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

I'm flattered, but let me point out that there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here. I always like to look at what others are doing to gain knowledge about body conditioning. They've been very helpful to me as I'm sure they will be for you. Good Luck!

10. Pkhamidar2com

Hey guys, im back from tangsoodo, i got a weird first post for my dairy.

Anyways, just so you know, we usually have like 5 minutes of sparring, sometimes 10 minutes right at the end of each lesson. Sometimes we dont have any sparring. And thats what i hate. Today we didnt have any sparring, but we did have a whole hour last last week (last week was off as the hall was under construction or something).

Anyways, today we started off with usual warmup, circuits, practicing the Katas, practicing the kicks, etc... etc... That is what we did for the first half. Second half was weapons training. That wasnt bad either. I was always looking at the clock, thinking, ok 10 minutes left, PLEASE let there be sparring.

Turns out there wasnt... man i was annoyed, i may sound like a brat, but i love sparring, and thats the main reason i go martial arts, to spar haha! I like learning, yeah i love learning, but sparring is what i love the most! When i think of sparring, my stomach flips, my eyes water, my pulse quickens, and this is all literal, it all happens, im not even exagerating, infact im holding back hahaha.

Anyways, what makes it that much worse is that for the next month, theres no sparring... WTF! uhg...

So what im thinking is, i emailed the local judo club, and i asked them how much it costs, it hink its the same price, hopefully, even if its 5 pounds more, i dont mind because apparantly there is more sparring.

A few problems however.

1) I got my FIRST TSD grading next week... or the week after, somewhere within the next month, but i have to pay for a whole month, and no sparring...

2) If that judo club is within my budget, i can go to it, but i dont know. I mean i been doing tangsoodo, and i been working SO HARD, just to spar, to get better at sparring. Things like pracitcing every single day, doing so much cardio, increasing speeds of my kicks. It feels like im throwing it all away!

I dunno, i really do hope its cheap enough. Oh and also i have no use for my sparring gear, which isnt a problem if it does come to me changing to judo. I can just sell it on ebay.

But i just dont know, if it is a good price for judo, and if it has the good sparring i really want (sparring for 50+% for the lesson would be a dream!) and i like it then i may join.

Im going to go to a free lesson, and try it out.

Remember, i dont mind if its a striking art, or a ground art, whatever, as long as tehre is loads of sparring, IM IN!

anyways tomorow my friend wants to spar with me, so ill go. Except he doesnt do any art, but he just wants to try it out, im more than welcome to though, but is aid for him not to go crazy, ill show him what i learned so far.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2011
  11. Simon

You need to learn how to spar.

This involves footwork, timing, distance and balance.

You need to have a solid defence.

You need to be able to recover after each attack in order to either renew the attack, or be in a position to defend yourself.

Sparring is good, but there is much you can do to improve your sparring without actually sparring.

Also you looking at the clock tells me you are not totally concentrating on the drill you were supposed to be doing.

12. Pkhamidar2com

I know but I practice so much at home. every lesson is identical nearly because my teacher believes repittion makes perfection which I agree with. but I'm tiered of be so stressed about getting to spar. I was really stresses last nightmare about no sparring but instead some woman came and was teaching me chemistry instead.

also I was focusing but when someone else gets it wrong I'm just there in a a stance for poke 2 minutes so I just quickly look at the force. maybe I exaggerated about kookingbat the clock alot but I wanted to spar.

problem is watching judo doesn't give me the same goosbumps as striking arts.....

I'm in a bit of a pickle...

13. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I agree with simon.

are you paying for your grading etc?

Try out judo and tell them you like sparring (randori) and more likely than not, you'll get thrown into it - literally.

But i say listen to simon and ask him for advice regarding improving for sparring.

I found there was a difference with striking and grappling arts.
    Striking needed a lot of prep to start sparring , grappling assumes you'll learn by sparring.

I think pressure drilling mixed with sparring is a better method and its something i did a lot in muay thai but i got frustrated with the instructor not letting new guys spar (apparently he did this year for anyone) and the mass of conditioning we did didnt fit well with my lifting (srsly half the class was push ups and only 15 minutes to work on technique, Tabata 3 times a week, it was more of a fitness class).
    but i know i'll need that kind of striking in the future and i did learn a lot of very applicable things that i use now cos i stayed long enough and trained 4 times a week (for a year).
    Dont blindly trust the teacher but think of why he's reduced the sparring and ask him if you're unsure

14. Simon

You like sparring, but be honest with yourself.

How good is your side kick, is it the best it can be?

Does your jab scare the life out of your opponent, does it make him flinch?

Is your timng and distance sharp and are you always just too far away to be hit, but close enough to strike yourself.

Can you apply locks and chokes when in close. How about sweeps?

I think you need to take a few steps backwards before you can move forwards.

15. Simon

16. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

*Adds to skill improvement list*

17. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

In traditional MA there is a lot of information that interconnects the overall experience. Your training should focus on many aspects of body conditioning and techniques, every lesson has a skill that you should be aware of. Pay attention to the information and make use of the class time to focus on your overall performance. As a beginner you should ask questions of your instructor and upper level students. Most important is to have patients you have plenty of time to spar and develop your technique.

18. Pkhamidar2com

I never said my techniques were perfect but I just wish I could spar more. I really loveit

every single lesson I'm so stressed about if or not I get to spar. I had a god damb migraine for 4 days and I beloved it was partially related as well as exam stress.

but still I know if I were doing judo iwould be less stressed but not as joyful as I prefer sticking arts but I am gong to go to that free lesson whenever is

I know my moves are light years away from even being less tan satisfactory but just training technique is pointless if you don't spar.

I know there isa lot ti learn. and you know what. if I was. guaranteed way more sparring I would practice a technique till my skin rips from exhaustion from practicing something again and again because I KNOW I CAN USE IT IN MY MEXT SPARMING MATCH. that is what motivates me. not just blindly sparring. not just technique bit and equal balance of the two or more sparring.

lol one guy as a joke suggested I go pick fights with people. that way i get ffee sparring. no stress just putensils entertainment lol.

so yeah... I want to spar. one of the reasons I would rather do kick boxing. combines sticking and lots of sparring :) if I found a gym that was within my budget I would happily join :)

19. Simon

You need to calm down a bit.

20. Pkhamidar2com

Todays update to my log.

I did 1 hour of swimming today constantly. I was so tired after that.

Debating whether or not to practice tomorow. I feel tired, from todays swimming, but also friends coming over on friday... might just suck it up and do it.

Ah well we shall see how it goes :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2011