Pictures from a China and Korea TKD Tour.

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by aaron_mag, Oct 4, 2008.

1. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

Just got back from a TKD tour that went to China and Korea. I'll be brief on the details (since Pictures, as they say, are worth 1000 words). Our Korean master (who is nearly 70, and still has lots of energy) took us to Yanji where we got to work out and do demonstrations (and see demonstrations) with the Yambian University Team. Then we went to Korea and did demonstrations (and watched them) in public and at a university. This was my third trip with him, but the first time I got to go to China (which was the reason I decided to go again this time). Great trip.

Here is their workout space at Yambian University (forgive me, I don't know how to size pictures). This building, btw, is totally devoted to TKD. Awesome space. Flooring is old, but easily held 60+ people. Could have 100 working out at the same time with no problem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the Yambian University TKD players, a guy also on the tour, and myself (far right).

[​IMG]

This young man from Yambian University is an incredibly good guy. I had fun working out with all the Yambian University people, but we just made a good connection with the guy in the picture (despite language barriers). One humorous thing that happened is, as we were stretching, he leaned over to me and said, "How old you are?" I told him '37'. His eyes got really wide and he said, "You 57!!!"

;)

Had yet another midlife crisis right then. After I corrected him he then reassured me by saying, "That okay. You still strong..."

Another thing I learned about the north Chinese is that they LOVE to laugh and have a good time. They were just such fun people. Here are some goofing off pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally here is a picture of a demo in Korea (in a place they call their Folk Village).

[​IMG]

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Wow! Very impressive, certainly sounds and looks as though you had an absolute ball!

Thanks for sharing these with us.

Regards,

Dan

3. TheAngle

TheAngle Valued Member

Those wall pads and bags look nice. I want to get out there and throw some kicks so bad...

Thanks for sharing. :)

4. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

Sweet! If you have time would you mind giving a quick overview of the sort of training done (I'm always looking for new ideas and this seems like a good opportunity).

5. aaron_mag

I really didn't get to see the way they train regularly. The fact was that our korean master was invited there to do seminars (at Yambian University). He has many deep old ITF connections. General Choi once stayed at his house for three days and he was a friend of Park Jung Tae (who was one of the earlier promoters of TKD in China).

Yambian University practices the WTF style, but they have roots in the ITF as well (their head coach trained with Park Jung Tae).

So our training while there was traditional ITF style (stances, patterns, punches from the hip, etc, etc).

When we spared we used ITF rules. This actually confused the university athletes. When I slipped inside and started using my hands one of them, with a shocked look on his face, said, "You Cheat!!!"

But those guys were good athletes and fast learners. The guy in the picture above had these really long arms and when he started using the lead hand jab it worked really well for them. He would grin and shake his fist as if to say, "Secret western technique! Just punch the guy in the face!!!" :)

It was my first time sparring with guys who train extensively (almost exclusively) for WTF style sparring. I did notice you end up in the clinch a bunch. I was so tempted to throw a hip toss (from my Sambo training) but realized that would be a jerk move. These guys are athletes getting ready for their competitive season against other university athletes. If I injured them with something unexpected like that (if they didn't fall right, for example) they'd miss their season and it would qualify me as a first rate jackass.

6. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Looks like a great trip Aaron. Cools pics.

Nice one,

Stuart

7. aaron_mag

Yeah I don't know if I'll ever get the opportunity again. Ideally I'd like to go in another 4 years, but my instructor is 70 now. He was very tired by the end of the trip. You could tell. Having him organize another trip and take us in another 4 years is asking a lot.

One of the things that made me feel the passage of time was comparing this trip with previous trips. When I went before many of his Korean friends would come and hang out with him in the evenings. When I asked where they were this time they had either passed away or were very ill now.

I did see something that might interest some of you. In Seoul, near Itaewon, was something called the ITF Foreigner Training Center (second or third floor). I kept meaning to check it out never got around to it. I wonder if it is a place where people can go to train in Korea. I googled it came up empty.

Oh well. Maybe once it is certain that our instructor will no longer be doing asian tours we can do a European tour and workout with many of the nice people on MAP...

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Looks and sounds like you had a blast Aaron!

If you ever do that European tour you're more than welcome to stop by Nottingham:)

Mitch

9. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Absolutely wonderful pictures Aaron!

And the faces! Lots of smiles! That alone would be worth the time and energy. It looks like the trip was a wonderful experience for all!

Narc

10. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

ITF Foreigner Training Center (second or third floor)
    -- Interesting, wonder which ITF this belongs too or is part of.. Ill have to do some research. If thats for foreigners.. where do the locals go :)

Maybe its Choi jung Hwas new residence lol :)

Seriously, its a shame about your master getting too old for the the trips, but time waits for no man and many will never experience what you have (and Im talking more personally here).

Stuart

11. iaingreer

iaingreer Valued Member

I can answer this one for you, my sister is currently out there teaching english and one of her colleagues is a 'student' there at the moment. Hes been training since August and has already attained a green belt :rolleyes:

My sister (a TAGBer) who is studying in Ulsan (ITF training she has now taken up) says that a lot of the dojangs over there grade foreigners in lightning quick speed (I call it false confidence).

I'm heading over to south Korea in Feb for a visit and pilgrimage as it were, hope to get some training in as well at one of these clubs too!
    Can't wait!!

Iain

12. aaron_mag

I had heard this too. My cousin had a girlfriend who taught English in Korea and got her blackbelt in like a year (this was WTF). A former student who had transferred into us (great TKDist, but unfortunately moved away) was saying there were these absolutely terrible TKDist who would be at his university club who had come from Korea after doing the teaching english program. In their defense he said they would take off their blackbelt once they saw the level other people were at (this was WTF as well).

Conversely there is a Korean who is a 4th dan who trains with some guys I know in Hawaii and he is very, very, skilled (and I believe he is WTF).

So maybe they just figure they might as well take the foreigner money (whether ITF or WTF)...

I will be very interested in what it was like to train at one of these places, plus interested in your trip in general. Please post something on MAP when you get back!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  13. iaingreer

iaingreer Valued Member

My fiancee is heading out at New Year for a while to keep my sister company (my fiancee is also a TAGBer), although I don't think they are planning on getting much training.

We are flying to Incheon airport then onwards to Ulsan (near Hyundai beach I think) which is one of the largest cities in South Korea, but I quite fancy having a look at some ITF training when I am over there and I believe that there is some TAGB clubs as well.

Never been this far travelled before so will be interesting!

With respect to the foreigners teaching methods, I agree with that, they seem to put them through quickly so they can keep them interested and therefore getting a financial commitment from them, unfortunately, when the poor souls come back home, they are under the impression of being able to do a lot more than they actually can.

14. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

Sweet - thanks for the update.