Physics Universities

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by LJoll, Feb 15, 2008.

1. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

Azeitung or any other scientists: I'm in the process of deciding where to do my degree in physics. Which British universities are most respected in the field of physics and does that really matter much in the long run?

2. tideliar

tideliar Valued Member

University of Leicester is one of the best in europe for physics/space-science/astrophsyics... They offer (or did anyway) an MPhil in space-science and astronomy I think...

3. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

I have to choose between Cambridge, Edinburgh, Manchester, Bristol and York.

At the moment Cambridge is my first choice and is obviously very prestigious, but I was wondering how much that actually matters. Is it the name of the university or the actual quality of teaching that would make one preferable over another? Which of these would you consider to be the second-most respected?

4. tideliar

tideliar Valued Member

I'm afraid for physics I don't know. Both York & Edinburgh are very respectable schools too, and of course Bristol & Manc are top notch. If it were biology then I'd say either Edinburgh or Bristol, but ...:( sorry mate.

I'll try and ask my ex, she might know. And as to the name of the school, unfortunately yes it does matter at undergrad level... but all of those schools are excellent so, its either Cambridge or a.n. other great school.

edit: If you're faced with a series of virtually equal choices think about some of the secondary issues too: which city/region do you fancy spending the next 3+ years of your life in? Which school has better facilities? What about cost of living? Availability of public transport? off campus entertainment? clubs and societies you might be interested in... have a think about all the other stuff and see if that helps...

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  5. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

I think it helps to "know the system".
    Let's say you're lucky enough to get offered a place at Cambridge, and you put down Bristol as your second choice.
    Then, disaster strikes, you only get a B in one of your final exams, and so you can't go to Cambridge. Only problem is, Bristol only guarantee accomodation for those who put them down as first choice (might be the same with other unis). So then you may end up not being able to get into halls at all at Bristol.
    I know that's a worst case scenario, if you're 100% sure you will get your AAA then obviously Cambridge is the one. But in my case, I was rejected for Oxford, but even if they accepted me I was going to turn them down, simply because I knew I could not get an A in Chemistry.

All the unis you mentioned have good reps, maybe only Oxbridge internationally though.

If you don't get Cambridge, I would go for Bristol, just because it's the greatest city in England (I've heard rumours of a place called Lon....something or other, but I don't know much about it).

6. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

Yeah, that's the impression I seem to be getting. I think Cambridge will be my first choice, Manchester want the same grades and I'm not very interested in York, so I'm really deciding whether to put Bristol or Edinburgh as my second choice. All my inclinations between them are fairly irrational, such as whether there are a couple of people I quite like going to one of them. As for Cambridge, would going there give me any significant post-degree advantages over somewhere like Manchester? It's weird, but I've been doing uni stuff all year and this is the first time I've really considered how my choice will affect the rest of my life.

7. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

Interesting. This whole second choice accommodation guarantee business is new to me. My Cambridge offer is for AAA in Maths, Physics and Further Maths. Maths and Physics aren't really an issue for me, but I could easily get a B in Further Maths if I don't do enough work (which is very possible considering how prone I am to long bouts of nihilism). If I did put Bristol as my second choice and didn't reach my Cambridge offer, what would actually happen?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  8. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

Check up on my information, as it's 4 or 5 years old. But, I doubt it's changed as I don't think Bristol have built any new student halls.

If you didn't reach Cambridge, you would get into Bristol (provided you meet their requirements). However, accomodation may not be guaranteed. I never met anyone that didn't have Bristol as first choice, so I don't have any first hand information. It could be that they just say it to encourage people to choose UoB as their first option!

I would check all this up with someone from UCAS and the university that you are considering putting as second choice.

9. tideliar

tideliar Valued Member

Those aren't irrational mate. You're gonna be leaving home and family for years! It's a big decision!!

Is the "name" Cambridge an advantage? I'd still say yes. Internationally it's reknowned so if you work overseas you'll have an advantage. Also, the people you meet there could be influential later in life...

10. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

I'm pretty sure the early stages of a Physics degree is tougher at Oxford than at Bristol. I don't know about later on though.

Is it the case that Oxbridge upgrade all BSc degrees to MSci/MPhys (etc) after a few years of graduation?

11. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Maybe in terms of work assigned but not in terms of material covered, they really do like to beast their first years, with tutorials and redundant assignments, but all that does is take away from the fun of university life. First years aren't supposed to work that hard, they're supposed to have a good time and find their feet living away from home. Everyone I know who did UG study at Cambridge (no one went to Oxford for some reason) described it as a fairly boring university, which isn't surprising really, you dont go to Cambridge if your first priority is partying.

12. Topher

Topher allo!

For that... you go to Manchester! :D

13. Thelistmaker

Thelistmaker bats!

I think the oxbridge effect also still holds sway with history aswell, but any real scientist will tell you that thats also a non-subject, with people just writing what they think their sources are telling them and not having to do statistics of any sort :eek: Dam them, and their humanity ways.

14. xen

xen insanity by design

shame on you!! York is cool!! :D

I did an MEng in Electronics Engineering there, so I spent a few years in the Physics and Electronics building. Really enjoyed it.

Academically, it was all good (this was a few years ago, so I don't know how they rate now) and the social life was top.

York has over 360 pubs inside the city walls, the campus has about 6 bars, the town has a lively underground dance scene, with frequent free parties out in the sticks (sanctioned by the police, so everyones a winner :D )

And if you crave a big city night out, you are just down the road from the Leeds.

What more could you want?

:D

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  15. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

Manchester students take more drugs and have more sex than anyone else.

That was the case in 2003 anyway...

16. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

Any chance this thread could be split into discussion on universities please?

17. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

18. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably out Cambridge as my first choice then decide what to put as second after I've seen Edinburgh.