Photography Thread 4

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by YODA, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

2. Seventh

Better, updated version.
    [​IMG]

3. Seventh

4. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Couple from when HMS Ocean was up here last week. There wasn't much going on around the boat, I messed up my ISO (translation: I forgot I'd taken it off auto...) and there was a canny sea fret in so at times you couldn't see one end of the ship from t'other. Not an ideal 'togging session :bang:

[​IMG]
    HMS Ocean in the Mist 2 by Anth Gaskell, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    White Ensign by Anth Gaskell, on Flickr

5. Seventh

6. Seventh

7. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

It's taken me a canny while to get round to mangling and posting these, but July 21st and 22nd was the Sunderland Airshow. Lots of swearing at sea gulls flying between me and the planes, surprisingly few total losses photo wise but a lot of shots that I didn't feel happy with (to be expected with how many photos I actually took!). So...

1) The random stuff Mackems have along the river. A steel tree? :confused:

[​IMG]
    Airshow Steel Tree by Anth Gaskell, on Flickr

2) Battle of Britain Memorial Flight

[​IMG]
    Battle of Britain Memorial Flight by Anth Gaskell, on Flickr

3) Those red nutters that aim at each other

[​IMG]
    Airshow Reds 1 by Anth Gaskell, on Flickr

4) Red on Blue

[​IMG]
    Airshow Reds 2 by Anth Gaskell, on Flickr

5) Reds past the Lighthouse

[​IMG]
    Airshow Reds 3 by Anth Gaskell, on Flickr

6) Breitling

[​IMG]
    Airshow Breitling 1 by Anth Gaskell, on Flickr

7) Reds Overhead

[​IMG]
    Airshow Reds 4 by Anth Gaskell, on Flickr

I was stood behind the centre marker for the show for the Red Arrows so they flew straight over my head at the start of their set. I ended up pretty much on my back with the 70-300 Tamron trying to get them all in frame but wishing I had the Nikon 18-300. Maybe I'll have one for next year's show.

8. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

9. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  10. csoby

csoby Valued Member

Very nice, White Panda

11. AndrewTheAndroid

12. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

I need a little advice guys. I have been tempted to buy a semi decent camera for a while but have zero experience other than my point and click £50 jobby i have. My budget is low and knowledge is lower. I have no intention of taking up photography for any other reason than pleasure. So with that in mind i have been tempted in to buying the Samsung galaxy nx1000. This is currently £399 with £50 cash back and a free galaxy tab 2 7". Now i know that you don't ever get anything for free so is this camera worth the money or is there a better choice for around the same price tag?

13. Allers

Allers tricking, kicking

That's a pretty good deal, but if you're looking to get into photography, I'd go for a canon 550d with the kit lens (I would recommend the 450d too, it's a bit cheaper and just as good, but the only place you can buy them now is ebay. However, 450d doesn't do video, 550d does videos and photos).

Google shopping page for you ;)
    http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...a=X&ei=CVuvUOXYF8Wx0AWasIDQBg&ved=0CFQQ8wIwAA

I'd look around at the reviews, it's a good camera, and the kit lens is sufficient. The auto mode is good enough for taking pretty good photos. The problem with getting DSLRs that aren't from Canon or Nikon, is that although the photos are usually okay, you don't get much control, and although they're marketed as DSLR, they remain pretty much point and click because of the limited options. The quality is also incomparable, and with a Canon/Nikon you have pretty much top quality with every photo.

Also, if you plan to improve and specialize your photography more, there are hundreds of lenses and filters which give you a much higher level of control over your photos than with other cameras. You can stay with the same body, but using different lenses you can get completely different photos.

I would recommend reading the digital pictures reviews; it is a fantastic, comprehensive website with everything you need to know:
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T2i-550D-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx
    And the lens it comes with:
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-18-55mm-f-3.5-5.6-IS-II-Lens-Review.aspx

If you plan to get into photography, Cambridge in Colour have a good set of tutorials I would recommend reading through:
    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

Good luck :cool:

14. AndrewTheAndroid

I concur with this, except I would say that since you(SpikeD) haven't had any experience with a DSLR, I don't think you should be worrying to much about about specialization just yet.

Seeing as I use a 650D, I also recommend the 550D. :D

15. AndrewTheAndroid

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  16. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Well I never get round to mangling the photos I've taken and getting them posted. Trying to fix that as a NY resolution but for now I've finally mangled my shots from September onwards so here's a mixed set from my wanderings around the north east.

1) - Middlesbrough Transporter Bridge
    [​IMG]
    Transporter 1 by Anth Gaskell, on Flickr

Taken on the Heritage Open Days in September where they opened up the bridge for everyone to walk across the top. The stairs didn't suit my frame and the views from the top weren't spectacular but it was a canny experience.

2) - Gibside Panorama
    [​IMG]
    Gibside Pano by Anth Gaskell, on Flickr

Another from Heritage Open Days, a panorama from the top of Gibside with the main site being in the valley. Quite a hike up there after my famous last words of "I wonder where that goes?" but again it was a good wander even if it was a rather warm day. Not a bad first pano for me, using my monopod rather than a tripod.

3) - Roker Pier
    [​IMG]
    Roker Pier by Anth Gaskell, on Flickr

Same weekend as the last couple, Roker Pier in slightly warmer times.

4) - Roker Lighthouse

[​IMG]
    Roker Lighthouse by Anth Gaskell, on Flickr

Surprised myself with this one - nae mangling needed (apart from cropping to fit Nutters) :eek:

5) - Teesmouth Prints

[​IMG]
    Teesmouth Doggy Print by Anth Gaskell, on Flickr

A new haunt for me is Teesmouth nature reserve (more "I wonder what's along there?"). Had a few ideas for shots for another day while I was there but the doggy prints caught my eye that day.

6) - Teesmouth Landscape

[​IMG]
    Teesmouth Landscape by Anth Gaskell, on Flickr

A second from Teesmouth and a second that needed no mangling. Watching that ship go out got me thinking of how busy it would have been there 40 or 50 years ago with all the yards on the Tees.

7) - Building the Past

[​IMG]
    Beamish Eston Church by Anth Gaskell, on Flickr

My favourite haunt is building the past again with Eston church being moved to Beamish and rebuilt brick by brick (get close to the building and the bricks are still numbered - it's literally building by numbers). Should be pretty interesting when they get it finished sometime this year.

8) - Wouldn't be a Beamish trip without...

[​IMG]
    Beamish Village December 2012 by Anth Gaskell, on Flickr

Yes, I had to take a shot from here again. A cold day but still a lot warmer than when I was there in February. On the tracks you can see the gear for an ice rink set up every winter. The building work is more moving house as Hetton band hall is rebuilt in the village. Eventually I might get bored of taking photos stood there...

17. csoby

csoby Valued Member

Haven't posted any in a while... here are a couple of our holiday lights.

[​IMG]
    Angels Watching

[​IMG]
    Christmas Tree Closeup

18. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

This thread has been dead for over a year again. What happened to the 'toggers? :( Here's some of my shots from last year (that I was sure I'd posted in this thread). Click the pictures for large versions.

[​IMG]
    New noms - Beamish Museum's new bakery.

[​IMG]
    "Form a queue!" - A busy Beamish day in the summer.

[​IMG]
    Gibside Avenue

[​IMG]
    A bonney floo'er

[​IMG]
    A quieter day at Beamish in April 2013

[​IMG]
    Rocky - Souter, Tyne and Wear

[​IMG]
    Red Arrows at Sunderland Airshow 2013

[​IMG]
    "I wonder what's along there?" - A walk along the Wear at Washington.

[​IMG]
    XH558 at Sunderland Airshow 2013

[​IMG]
    Empty Belly - XH558 showing her bomb bay open.

[​IMG]
    XH558 and a lighthouse.

And some from last night. I was at a gig up at Sage Gateshead and decided to take the DSLR for a walk, though it was rather nithering out. Turns out the D3100 isn't the best in low light :(

[​IMG]
    Bisected Sage - Sage Gateshead bisected by the Millenium Bridge.

[​IMG]
    Newcastle and Gateshead Quaysides.

[​IMG]
    Mono Sage.

19. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Some Martial Arts themed photos taken by my Mother. Most of them are of me but there's a couple of others as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These two were taken by me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  20. csoby

csoby Valued Member