Photography Thread 4

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by YODA, Feb 8, 2009.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

1) yes... from back in the day on my Nikon N90X and my Mamiya RB and RZProII MF cameras. Ah... the joy of getting rolled developed and then slapping down the results on a lightbox. :)

2) sadly no... never got the hang of rangefinders. :cry:

3) yes... back when I was living in Thailand I spent any time not training... shooting. Lots of handheld medium format stuff in B/W. Miss those days. Oddly enough I have boxes of rolls of film that I've shot but never developed. Funny how that happens. Some of them more than 10 years old. Rolls of 120 kicking a round that I need to push or pull in development but never got around to it. Someday... someday.

Will have to get up and post some examples up here soon.

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

@Omicron - stunning area that. I've spent many a trip out that way. I really dislike Vegas and that was always a good place for me to head off to when I got sick of mates rippin' up Vegas. Some good climbing to be had out that way. Beautiful and rugged country side that. Really makes me miss the US.

3. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Nice! I'm quite jealous haha.

4. Omicron

Omicron is around.

@ slip

Agreed! I was in Vegas to celebrate some friends' graduation. Their choice, not mine! We spent 6(!) days there, which was about 5 days too many in my opinion. Getting out to Red Rock was my favourite part of the trip.

5. Omicron

Omicron is around.

Don't be! It's not really the gear that makes the photo...

6. Seventh

Yeah, I know, but I am photography nerd, so I'm going to nerd rage :p
    Besides, that is some decent gear there.
    I've been meaning to get myself a GND or ND filter, unfortunately I'm broke ;_;

7. Seventh

Yeah, I know, but I am photography nerd, so I'm going to nerd rage :p
    Besides, that is some decent gear there.
    I've been meaning to get myself a GND or ND filter, unfortunately I'm broke ;_;

8. Omicron

Omicron is around.

A ND filter is next on my to-buy list! But yeah, gear gets prohibitively expensive pretty quick...

9. Seventh

10. Omicron

Omicron is around.

Cool! Is that HDR or exposure blending? I like pictures of big sky and interesting clouds.

11. Seventh

The entire thing is two photographs stitched together and touched up in PS CS5. I used exposure blending, mostly just using brightness/contrast setting and curves and gradients to mask, if that makes sense.

Both photographs were taken at an f/stop of 22. Shutter speed for the bottom photograph was 1/25, and the top photograph 1/50.

Any criticisms? (it would be greatly appreciated)

12. Allers

Allers tricking, kicking

That's not bad at all Seventh, looks really good! :)
    Couple of criticisms; the foreground seems a bit underexposed, a bit more light on it would have maybe looked more interesting.
    Also, there isn't a definitive point at which the reader is meant to look, if you know what I mean. The main subject is the sky I guess, but there is no definitive point in the sky. It doesn't detract too much, a more up front point of focus would have made it more interesting though.
    Either way, a very impressive photo! ^^ looks great!

13. Allers

Allers tricking, kicking

double trouble

14. Omicron

Omicron is around.

Yup.

May I ask why you choose f/22 over a wider aperture with faster shutter?

Agreed!

15. Seventh

Thank you so much for the criticism!
    Was to lazy to use manual, so I left it to the camera to choose the shutter speed whilst I controlled the aperture (was on Aperture Priority). I was also taught that a large f/stop number means consistent sharpness throughout the photograph, which I want in a scape photograph. I also didn't bring a tripod with me.

16. Allers

Allers tricking, kicking

Well, I've taken loads of photos, and I hate to be critical without allowing others to criticize; I would upload others, but it's late, and I'm lazy.
    So, as my tagline suggests, I leave you with a butterfly.

[​IMG]

17. Seventh

Pretty epic pic.

Like how you blurred the background and focused on the flower and the butterfly. Would be nice if you maybe moved the camera a little more up, and got the butterfly more focused and sharped. Comes down to preference though of course.

Once again, pretty nice photography.
    Might want to re-size that pic though :)

18. Omicron

Omicron is around.

Depth of field increases as you increase the f-stop, it's true. So in a sense, you do end up with a crisper looking image. However, most lenses have an aperture (or range of apertures) where they provide the best resolution. As far as I know, that range usually tends to be somewhere between f/4 and f/8.

This makes sense. You wouldn't have wanted a shutter speed much slower than 1/25 when shooting handheld. :D

19. Seventh

20. Seventh