Phillipines Trip

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by David Arnold, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Pinoro

Pinoro Valued Member

Thanks, Bill!

As soon as I can save some money and I can get away from work for 2 weeks!
    Coz now I'm officially a Phills addict! :D

P.S.: I also have some pics on my website.

2. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Yeah!

Hi Pinoro,

>As soon as I can save some money and I can get away from work for 2 weeks!<

Yep, I know what you mean. I've just started a new job, so the flight cost is in question this year, but more so the holiday entitlement so soon after starting...:-(

But I shall return, oh yes, I shall return..;-)

Bill

3. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Hey Pinoro,
    Looks as though you had a blast, who knows maybe we will bump into each other out there one time.

I see your training went well, Bobby and the Red Horse Chapter are top class, I am sure they put you through your paces. Next time your out send my regards to Bobby and his group, I will try to hook up with them when I am out next.

Looks like your travelled around a bit too, where else did you go, and how did you find it?

Best regards

Pat

4. Pinoro

Pinoro Valued Member

Thank you, mr. O'Malley!

Yes, Redhorse Chapter is a very special small group, all the guys are great - and Bobby is simply unbelievable! He trains everyday, 3 hours in the morning and 3-4hours in the afternoon - that was my ''treatment'' there too! He knew how to ''push'' me to the limits - not just the physical endurance, but mostly the ability to adapt and to absorb a big volume of information in such a short time.

Actually, I haven't travelled around too much - just Manila - Las Pinas ( where my girlfriend lives) - Batangas and then back in Las Pinas.
    But while I was in Taal I spent some quality time on the Lemery beach, Ligpo Resort and Rockport Resort in St. Luis (near Taal).For me it was more than enough - cause I will go again for sure and I will have the chance to see more :)

5. Pinoro

Pinoro Valued Member

Another video I just finished editing:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpFx8tzyRLM"]Kalye Todo Arnis - first training trip - YouTube[/ame]

6. dk79

dk79 Banned Banned

Hi Everyone.

I'm currently studying Baji Quan in China. However I'm interested in also finding out about the possibility of studying kali eskrima/ knife fighting in the Phillippines.

So traveling to the Phillippines from november december jan feb march and then back to china for the rest of the year where my baji master is.

The problem is I will have to work and study in both locations to fund this. I will need to earn more teaching english than I spend on living etc and for tuition. At present this is possible in China for me.

What do you think the possiblity of being able to do this is and do you have any contacts that I should contact? Teachers etc...my priorty is the learning environment nothing else. So I don't mind living basically.

Can anyone advise me?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  7. anino

anino New Member

I personally think it would be harder for you to get a working visa here in the Philippines. In china, the employer actually supports your working visa and that is a great boon. Here you're pretty much on your own and based on your time commitment I think employers would be reluctant to help you out. but do try to snoop around you might get lucky.

8. reydominguez

reydominguez Valued Member

Hows your TRIP?
    So sad that im out for a while here in MAP! If you still needs some help, im just around the corner....rey13eskrimador@gmail.com

9. Pat OMalley

Hi all, if you need some help finding FMA instructors in Manila then Brother Rey is you man, for any of you planning a trip out to that region, drop him a line he will put you in contact with some of the top Masters in that area.

Best regards

Pat

10. dk79

dk79 Banned Banned

Hi Pat...hope your well...thanks for the info on training in the phillippines/manila.

Could you do me another favor when you get a chance? Could you check the email address for rey in manila....as I tried to send him an email and it was returned...

Thanks

David Kelly

Ps...If you ever what any help or goods from china drop me a line I can help or source it for you in addition if you ever what any rashguards I will be able to get them for you. At present I'm finalising a deal to supply all the MMA clubs in northern ireland with plain rashguards so thay can print their clubs insignea/sponsers etc on them.

11. reydominguez

reydominguez Valued Member

its on my signature, rey13eskrimador@gmail.com:woo::woo::woo:

12. Pat OMalley

Hi David,
    I think Brother Rey has given you the mail, try it and let me know, also drop me an e-mail and we can talk in more detail.

Best regards

Pat

13. Pinoro

Pinoro Valued Member

At the end of october I did it again,hehe! I spent two wonderful weeks on Luzon and I enjoyed again the intensive training of ''Redhorse Chapter'' in Taal,Batangas... My respected instructor and friend Bobby DelaRosa guided me through the advanced aspects of the Kalye Todo style: advanced hand drills, variations in striking,disarming,trapping and locking and the free flow ,which is the last step before sparring.

Here are two videos from our training:

[ame="http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=kk1NpQ9x0Ig"]YouTube - Kalye Todo - Take it easy[/ame]

[ame="http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=IQdHW3kbKeQ"]YouTube - Redhorse Chapter/28kg kettlebell[/ame]

14. Utotin

Utotin Valued Member

Sounds like you would feel right at home in Los Angeles (USA). In my part of town it feels like there is a Jollibee and Chowking on every corner (not to mention Goldilocks and Red Ribbon). We also have a branch of the famous Barrio Fiesta as well as Max's fried chicken. Oh and Shakeys Pizza is actually an American competitor of Pizza Hut that has done well in PI rather than a pinoy version of Pizza Hut. And yes we have lots of those here too.

I can't wait to go one day too. I don't practice arnis (althugh I would love to one day), but my wife grew up in Manila and she can't wait to show me where she grew up and intoduce me to her relatives. She also wants to take me Baguio which she said I will definitley enjoy. I would also liketo spend Christmas there one day when our kids are a little older. My wife says that christmas/new years in America is boring compared to the holidays in PI, and from what I see on ABS-CBN it looks like she is telling the truth!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  15. Pat OMalley

And she is right, Xmas and New Year is awsome in the PI, unfortunetly I have not been able to go at that time of year for the last 2 Xmas and New Years but did get back this July gone. If your out and about on Xmas and New Year make sure your under cover as the fireworks drop in from all over, not so much of how good a display you can put on, more of who can make the loudest bang:)

As for where you are in LA, well I wish I knew last time I was there (August) as where we where, was nothing unless you hit an expensive cab for at least 20 mins. Sounds great. I will have to see it next time I drop over you way.

Best regards

Pat

16. Utotin

Utotin Valued Member

Everything in LA is a drive, but next you are down here check out the glendale/eagle rock area and you will find all these in very close proximity to each other (except shakeys'). There is also a huge filipino supermarket (seafood city) where you can buy all your favorite filipino snacks. sarap!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  17. Lucy O'Malley

Lucy O'Malley The Mother Art

Yellow Cab Pizza is far better than Shakeys and Pizza Hut put together, in my personal opinion......Hard to get a table though in the PI as chocker block.

Funny thing this year, we hardly ever go to Jollie Bees, but the kids want to because one of them locally has a play area, so we usually use it as a bargaining tool for most of the holiday and then go in once or twice towards the end of a trip to the PI, well this year we went into one elsewhere to get a drink because we were walking in the hot sun and the kids were thirsty and the staff imediately recognised us and remembered the kids names from the year before at another site that we had never been in. I think I have been in Jollie Bees about 5 times in 8 years so it was funny as hell. I did remember the manager though, because last year he gave our little girl a free bag of chips and took her round the kitchen to meet the staff. Only in the PI. Haha!

When we were in LA, I saw a sign for Filipino Town a few times, is this where you mean??

18. Pat OMalley

Got to agree with Lucy on that one, Yellow Cab Pizza is the best ever....

As for the Jollibees Lucy was talking about we had to leave there quickley though as it was as hot as hell outside and we had been training all morning and inside they must have had the aircon on full blast. It was like walking out of an oven on to the middle of the Artic Tundra Brrrr. Dam cold.

Out of all the places we haunt though I like AA-BBQ the best for food, good local food and a good local price.

Best regards

Pat

19. nikos

nikos Valued Member

Is GT Leo Gaje in Manilla? How can I contact him for training in Philippines?

Thank you very much in advance,
    Nikos

20. shootodog

shootodog restless native

best bet is to ask jay bataclan or rommel tortal