Phillipines Trip

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by David Arnold, Nov 21, 2007.

1. shootodog

shootodog restless native

err because we're sado-masochists? :D i'm sure it's because we've taken a few shots to the head one time too many :eek:

2. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

True Bro, too true, hows the Olisi breaker, hope she is still doing a good job:eek: We will be back out this July and will pop up to Manila for a short time, maybe this time we can hook up and do some Sig Sig and San Mig.

ALso PM me as I am very interested in talking to you about the KDL DVD and conerting it to PAL.

Speak soon Bro

Pat

3. Pinoro

Pinoro Valued Member

Time is running ( 43 days left) and I'm back with another question :D

Since I have only 2 weeks there and since I will train 6 or 7 days only in Taal Batangas, I realized that it will be very difficult - if not impossible - to go to Cebu or even to leave Luzon island...
    So I'd like to use the other 6-7 days to visit and to train some other schools in Manila or in other locations on Luzon. Preferrably a largo system... is there a De Campo school in Manila? Pekiti Tirsia? Lameco?
    What are your suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

4. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I think there is PTK in Manila but I dont think they are strictly a Largo system or Lameco for that matter and I am not sure if they still have anyone left there. I am sure some of our Pinoy brothers will be able to help you out there.

A good system to also look into whilst in Manila would be Lightning Scientific Arnis. A great bunch of afficianados and a very respected system too.

Best regards

Pat

5. Azazeal

Azazeal Valued Member

You should check out LSAI! There are quite a few LSAI-groups in Manila, and the ones I met are great guys!

For PTK in Manila, you've to visit Rommel Tortal.

DeCampo.. well, it usually takes a little more time to get to know them ;) I dont think they have an open class in Manila. The Trainer im Manila is Abyz.

6. free_2_flow

free_2_flow Valued Member

If you're looking specifically for good for Largo Mano, I highly recommend you go and see the arts practiced in Paete, Laguna. Pls. do a google on "Garimot" for a start.

Hope this helps!

7. Pinoro

Pinoro Valued Member

Thank you all very much for ur kind advices!
    I was interested in De Campo while my trainer from London also studies this system privately... But if you say they are hard to be found.... anyway, in the future I will learn from him too. :)
    So the ''highlights'' would be LSA, R. Tortal and Garimot from Paete. Is that far from Manila? Difficult to reach?

A great week-end to everyone!

8. ritche-stl

ritche-stl Valued Member

i would say it's more or less same as going to batangas from manila as far as distance.

9. Karl

Karl Valued Member

I use to got to Los Baños- Laguna and form Manila takes about 1:20 to 1hour and 40 min with the bus. So I guess to Paete will be double the time..
    If you go there and u have interest u can contact Jerson Tortal (in Los Baños) he is teaching Dekiti but again is more corto than largo..Just Pm me.

10. chenstyle44

chenstyle44 Valued Member

back from work

hi there.
    back from work. did a three week stretch in northern alberta and am feeling a bit run over and stepped on. cumulative fatigue is terrible.
    can honestly say that I have had zero time to train. lots of testosterone floating around the shop and dont want to risk punching anybody else in the chops, which happened last time I was waving a stick around. some guy grabs me and says "What are you going to..." thats when my fist touched his lips. he treats me much better now.
    i'm thinking of heading back in september to train with master rommel another two weeks. hopefully can get in another style or two, but it's going to be another session like this one, with five-six hours per day, at least that's what im hoping. nothing like doing what you love all day.
    I'm recommending staying at st illian's inn. its on the outskirts of makati. it cost me about $250 CDN for a week. its just a block off pasong tamo and there is a lot of knife and tactical stores in the basement of the cinema mall just a block away. one of the stores is run by rommel's students and a deal can be had there. just wish I had the money this time or i could have bought a spiderco wave and a kershaw ((bulldog?))
    nice knives.
    going to see what the political fall out is from this trip on the weekend when i train with my teacher here. i hope he's okay with it, but with all the stuff thats happened in the past, im kind of anxious. ah well, cant be ruled by one mans opinion. pm me and let me know what your thoughts are on that point.
    i have to go and buy some groceries now. will chat later.
    Gord

11. silverfox_y2k

silverfox_y2k Valued Member

I am heading off to PI at the end of March, will be mostly in Pangasinan, Baguio region. Anyone know of places I can train in this area? Will also spend a few days in Manila so will probably try and get some training there too, was also thinking of visiting Yaw Yan in Pasay, anyone ever trained with the guys at this club?

I can almost taste the Lechon and Halo-halo already...mmmmm lol

12. Karl

Karl Valued Member

Im going to Baguio almost every 2 years since 1989 and I was unable to find anyone teaching FMA until last year that someone told me about a modern arnis group at the YMCA ....you can ask there.
    If u are lucky and find someone there in Baguio please tell me ...
    About Pangasinan, where exactly in Pangasinan are u going???
    In Manila Im sure you got already enough contact adresses.....
    Regards
    Karl

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  13. silverfox_y2k

I will be in the Dagupan region for my Cousin's wedding. I will check out the YMCA and Bagui and ask some relatives if they know of any Eskrima clubs in the area.

14. Karl

Karl Valued Member

Check ur email, I just send u a message there with a contact adr in Dagupan..
    Good luck and regards

Karl

15. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

im from yy pasay..:)

wish i could go back home soon :cry: :cry: :cry:

16. chenstyle44

chenstyle44 Valued Member

baguio ymca

hi silverfox,
    there are two groups training out of the ymca in baguio city.
    one group trains twice a week and the other, which im told does a hybrid mix of stuff, trains about four days a week.
    i didnt have time to train with them, as i didnt know about them till i was passing by the y and decided to drop in. the guy at the front desk said is was arnis de mano and that's all the input i have for that group.
    two years ago, there was a guy teaching doce pares out of a tkd school in puerta vaga mall on session road. also, didnt have time to see him either.
    i did have time to train with eli nerona and he teaches out of the gym in puerta vaga mall. muay thai and boxing, but he does do some palis de mano, which i was able to do with him for a couple of hours. well spoken man and i recommend getting in touch with him. the footwork he taught me was great.
    so, what did i say here, check out the ymca and puerta vaga mall, both on session road.
    have some halo halo for me. yummmmm.
    couldnt get enough of the stuff at chow king.
    Gord:)

17. silverfox_y2k

I tried sending them an email I found on their website awhile back but didnt get a reply, whats the best way to organise a training session with them?

Thanks for all your help guys...I cant wait, I am flying Friday morning and get there Saturday afternoon..I will be going straight out for some Chow King and then some chilled San Miguels! I am not looking forward to the long ass drive from Manila to Pangasinan tho! Luckily that wont be for a few days, and will get to have some fun in Manila first:D

18. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

you can give them a call. the number is on their website... on my signature. i am currently in the US right now so I can't accompany you personally.:eek:

19. Pinoro

Pinoro Valued Member

I did it!!!! I spent the best 2 weeks of my life in the Philippines - 6 days only in Taal - Batangas, training 6-7 hours/day with Guro Bobby Dela Rosa - an outsdanding trainer and a wonderful friend ( but if heknows that I call him ''Guro'' I'll be in trouble, cause he doesn't like it :D )
    Here are two training videos:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=s1-E0XyCu8A

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YQnlpNR_Hsg

20. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Excellent!

Hi Pinoro,

Great to hear you had a fantastic time.

So...When are you going back?...!

Bill