[Philippines] mind set in the philippines.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by shootodog, Nov 29, 2008.

1. shootodog

shootodog restless native

this might get controversial and i expect it to go south in a huff so here it goes.

filipinos are some of the most hospitable and kind and generous people i know. almost carefree and self effacing. they love to laugh and have a good time with their visitors. sometimes to their own detriment.

there is an old tagalog saying that i hear tossed around when there are gatherings that involve many fma groups:
    many of you might say: "why leave the worst for ourselves?" some people prize that tutong over the good rice.

2. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Laughter

Hi SD,

When I was in the RP last year training in Latigo, the locals would stop to watch, laugh and go on their way. There was no intent behind the laughter other than finding my mistakes funny; there was no unpleasantness whatsoever in their reaction.

I believe there is a Chinese rice dish where the aim is to produce a crust around the rice; this is also a prize. Seems we in the West may be missing something where rice is concerned!!

Bill

3. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

Hey Shooto

I love Tutong...best part of the rice for me. :)

Best regards

Peter

4. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

When I was in the phillipines 20 years ago I met with the same type of kindness and hospitality.

We have a lot to learn from people living in the so-called 'poorer' countries. Felt safer and appreciated far more there than in many places in the west.

Oh yeah... we fight over the crust was well!! Can't believe some over here would just look at it and throw it out LOL!!

cheers, powchoy

5. vismitananda

vismitananda Valued Member

Thanks for posting those kind words about us.

We Filipinos actually very hospitable in such many ways. We somehow take good care of our visitors as good as we can.

Oh! I see Tutong is a nice food. In my language (Dabawenyo, from Davao, Mindanao) it is called "Dukot" some kids today says that eating Tutong will get you dull. I somehow think what is the connection. LOL.

Also we Filipinos cannot forget how to loaugh, I mean even in terms of hardships in life as we are so poor, we can still have the sweetest smile you see.

I also experienced once when we have a visitor, we tend to eat the food that I don't like and serve the best food to the visitor, I somehow taught it was unfair but I tend to understand why.

Thank you guys. :D