[Philippines] Languages and Dialetcs of the Philippines

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by embra, May 30, 2009.

1. embra

embra Valued Member

Can someone identify the major languages/dialects of the Philippines?

I understand that the major language is Tagalog. Is Cebuano a dialect of Tagalog? What other major dialects and other languages are spoken in the Phillipines? Do these langages use a romanised alphabet?

Can someone provide some links to where one can listen to Tagalog/Cebuano/other dialect? - I always start to learn language by listening and mimicking the oral tones and phonetics (usually with some bizarre experiences initially.)

Is US/UK English understood/spoken by the majority of Filippinos? Is Spanish spoken/understood also?

Also, why 'The Philippines', but 'Fillipino'? - or am I just picking this up wrong.

Thanks in advance.

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

There certainly are no shortages of languages and dialects in the Philippines.

http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=PH

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_Philippines

Pretty much what you're asking is covered in there. Tagalog is relatively easy to pick up. But it's best to be able to live somewhere that you have to speak it daily. Outside of the Philippines... most Filipinos will speak relatively good English - although much of it is heavily accented if they were born and raised in the Philippines.

Nice explanation follows on the terms Philippines and Filipino -

source: http://malaysia.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080414174455AA9ytqh

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  3. embra

embra Valued Member

There is an outside of outside chance of me working in the Phillipines at some point. I aint banking on it, but it would be sweet if it happens.

4. vismitananda

vismitananda Valued Member

I can help you with these questions. Mainly we Filipino's have only 8 Major dialects, they are:

1. Tagalog (Our National language)
    2. Cebuano (Widely spoken in some parts of Visayas and whole Mindanao and my vernacular language)
    3. Hiligaynon
    4. Ilocano
    5. Kapampangan
    6. Pangasinan
    7. Bikolano
    8. Waray

Cebuano is a completely different language.
    ex.
    Tagalog:
    Saan ka nanggaling?

Cebuano:
    Diin ka gikan?
    Asa ka gikan?
    Those words means one thing, translated in English as "Where have you been?"

Some of the words of Tagalog and Cebuano may be the same but has a diff. in meaning.
    Tagalog:
    Langgam - is their word for "Ants"

Cebuano:
    Langgam - is our word means a "Bird"

They came from our ancient langauge called the "Alibata"

Filipinos can speak and understand English well. It has become a part of the school's curiculum after the Americans sent hundreds of teachers to teach us their way of teachings.

Spanish was being taught at shcool w/ the English language, but after 60's or 70's (not so sure), they've ripped it of the curiculum

The Philippines - simply refers to the country or the nation, or the Philippine Archipelago.

Filipino - may be refer to the people who are inhabitants of The Philippines or the Filipino citizens.

Filipino - can be also refered to a male local of The Philippines
    Filipina - means the the female local of The Philippines

I hope I've answered your questions.

5. slipthejab

If you manage to work some sort of gig in Cebu on an expat style salary then go for it. If you're working in Manila - carefully consider your options - traffic is a freakin' nightmare. Trust me on this... or ask any Filipino. :D

I was down in the south for quite a while and I really loved it. It's not without it's issues on any given day (MILF, NPA etc.) but overall I wouldn't have traded living there for anywhere else in the world.

God bless the poor people down that way... you can't get more salt of the earth than many of the people farming coffee and cocoa in the mountains of the south.

6. embra

embra Valued Member

Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate the input. Somewhat independantly from MA, I am kindof into culture, language and enthnicity.

The Philippine gig would happen as part of a US gig, if it happens at all. I cant say for anyone else on MAP, but for me and most folk I know getting any kindof gig anywhere (like that pays the bills and food) in just about any field, is damm tough right now.

I have worked a fair bit in Europe and been on business trips to the US and Dubai, but its not everday that someone phones me up and asks about my interest in working in the Phillipines! Whether it happens at all i.e. the compnay is serious about the work, then they shortlist me, then they select me vs hunderds of others (I am regularly submitted to jobs now with hundreds of competing resumes); is for now all kindof in the lap of the gods.

Thanks again guys.

7. slipthejab

here you go bro... you're first language lesson! :D

Attached Files:

8. embra

embra Valued Member

Does this mean

a) you are a chicken of a mother-*****r?
    b) your mum is the chicken tonight?
    c) something else ...

9. slipthejab

ahhaha nothing so terrible actually... it's a classic case of transliteration gone wrong. :D

10. embra

embra Valued Member

Ho ho.

This is part of what makes other languages and cultures interesting. You simply cannot get much better than an approximation translating from source to another. Best efforts in pronunciation can get you into all sorts of hot water.

This is a public forum, so I am not going to give examples, suffice too say Dutch pronunciation can truelly get you into a subtle mess (usually with laughter), and translation of idiomatic German to drunken pub English can be surprisingly vivid and descriptive.Some Italian interpretations of popular English can be somewhat astray as well.

Nothing like a good bananaskin or 2 to trip on.

11. Hyaku

Hyaku Master of Nothing

Twenty million speak Cebuano commonly called Bisaya further South. More than Tagalog before they decide on it as a national language as it is used in the North including Manila area.

Spanish is not spoken but Spanish people can understand 50% of Bisaya