[Philippines] If anyone want to learn basic Tagalog please just post a reply.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Kapalmuks, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Kapalmuks

Kapalmuks Valued Member

If you want to learn some basic Tagalog please just post a reply on this post. I would gladly assist you in learning the basic.

Maraming Salamat Po = Thank You Very Much.

2. BakbakanFighter

BakbakanFighter Valued Member

I would love to. One question, how do Tagalog and Babayan differ?

3. Citom

Citom Witless Wonder

Short answer: Tagalog is a language, Baybayin / Alibata is a writing system.

Long answer: Tagalog can refer to:
    1. Language
    2. The region of the Philippines (eg. Southern Tagalog Region)
    3. The ethnic group (who speak mostly Tagalog).

Baybayin is a Pre-Hispanic System of writing used mainly by the Tagalogs but also by other ethnic groups in the Philippines, such as Ilokano, Pangasinan, etc. Here is a sample of Baybayin used by Tagalogs and other ethnic groups in the Philippines:
    [​IMG]

4. BakbakanFighter

BakbakanFighter Valued Member

Awesome thanks, it is confusing but I think I am getting the gist...

5. Citom

Citom Witless Wonder

I think the confusion started when Unicode labeled Baybayin as "Tagalog Script". Whilst Baybayin was certainly used for Tagalog, it was also used for other languages / dialects in Pre-Hispanic Philippines.

An article by Dr. Nolasco explains the differences between Tagalog, Pilipino and Filipino in the other thread in this forum.

6. Kapalmuks

Kapalmuks Valued Member

Thank you very much Citom for that nice post. Yes, Baybayin was in the pre-spanish time. Mostly Filipinos today are not even familiar with Baybayin as it seems, it's been forgotten by almost every Filipinos nowadays.

Maraming Salamat.

7. Kapalmuks

Kapalmuks Valued Member

Yes Tagalog is the national language of the Philippines. Filipinos are the people of the Philippines. Pilipinos is mainly used (and it is still being use by some today) during the pre-american time as the letters Ph pronunciation is P, like Philipinos to Pilipinos. Unlike the American pronunciation of Philipinos is Filipinos, like Philippines to Filippines. Until nowadays as mostly Filipinos pronunciation of the Philippines is Pilippines, like maybe phone is to pone.

Maraming Salamat

8. Citom

Citom Witless Wonder

Walang anuman, Kapalmuks. Sa totoo lang, Pinoy din ako, na nakatira ngayon sa UK. Mabuhay ang sambayanang Pilipino!

"You're welcome, Kapalmuks. In trush, I'm also a Filipino, living now in the UK. Long live the Filipino people!"