Personal trainers

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by CraigLeeJKD, Jan 26, 2007.

1. I figured I may aswell "hijack" this thread rather than create a new one :)

Personal training is something I'm looking into and I intend to take the level 3 course after all my A level exams are done. I just wondered how one would go about being a freelance personal trainer.

Wouldn't you need your own gym? Surely people work freelance without having their own gym, no?

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I was looking into this earlier and the ISAA or ISSAA . . . something like that really informed me on it. They do online course certification and one of my local gyms has a personal trainer that went through them. They also offer business courses for your questions (bleh* I'm advertising) as well, I had some long discussions with the guy on the telephone.

Basically from the jist of it you have to build your clients up. You can either advertise yourself (which I'm sure would be a bit difficult, people would be taking a chance on you) or you could go through a gym, get clients there and only take a share in what you make, and then when you are a recognized name in your town/community you could branch off by yourself.

3. cxw

cxw Valued Member

While you're doing the theory, make sure you're doing practise.

Key questions:
    - Are you helping yourself or others increasing their strength? And what have been the results?
    - Same again except for fat loss.
    - Have you help competitive sports people improve their physical condition? This is an area that will be quite challenging as you'll have to figure out to integrate your training into the entire training of the person.

If you can get people to train now, then that would be really good. Even if you have to start off free for the first people until you get a reputation as being able to get results.

Charles Poliquin started out training after a member of a volleyball team asked for advice. After getting results with this person, the rest of the volleyball team hired Poliquin to help train them. And it carried on from there.

Results > Theory

4. Tom@Foresight

Tom@Foresight Valued Member

Hi

As i have said earlier in this thread once you are qualified i really do reccommend that you work in a gym for a short period, not as well paid or as glamorous as a freelance PT but it will give you a much needed chance to hone your new skilld in a supported enviroment.

The freelance PT market is becoming increasingly packed. Premier alone churn out about 150 new PT's every three months across the UK. Most tend to try to establish themselves as freelance PT's initially. There is also a great deal of established companies offering this service.

I would go into a gym setting for a year, ractice your skills get some advanced training, and put togatehr a business plan based on your experience.

Then look at gaining clients one at a time, offer a good quality service, always be smart and on time, abd most importantly make sure your clients achive thier goals! You should see the clients roll in.!

TOM