Personal trainers

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by CraigLeeJKD, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

That is indeed a bonus.

What I'm doing is in a classroom (I prefer that way, left to my own time I'd end up in the pool instead!). It's full days over a few weekends, then the exam, which still fits in as it's weekends :)

I member of staff at the gym came out with some crackers the other day. Like, "135bpm is a good resting heart rate". What the hell??? I hope I don't come out of it like that :D

2. CraigLeeJKD

CraigLeeJKD formerly 'into_the_abyss'

LMAO.

I actually have a friend who has a resting heart rate of 120bpm. She only has one lung too. Hehe I remember a few years ago in Psychology class we all had to get our resting heart rates measured and psychology lecturer's face when he measured my friends'.....quality stuff.

3. Tom@Foresight

Tom@Foresight Valued Member

Some book's that i have read that you might find useful:-

The first is a must!

1) Personal Training Theory and Practice, By James Crossley (Hodder Arnold, 2006)
    A great book that covers all the basics you need to know about and a great itroduction to more advanced skills suck as exercise psychology and postural assesment.

2) Atlas of Skeletal Muscles, By Robert Stone (Mc Graw Hill, 2000)
    A very useful book helps you to visualise all the origins and insertions

3)Anatomy and Physiology in Health and Illness, A Waugh + A. Grant ( Churchill Livingstone, 2003)
    A great book that covers all everything you could possibly need to know about anatomy and physiology in a stright forward manner, but a bit more depth than on a standard Level 3 COurse.

Hope these help

TOM

4. Tom@Foresight

Just another thought,

another great resource that you can use but i costs about £60 annually, is www.ptonthenet.com

TOM

5. CraigLeeJKD

Tom, many thanks for the recommendations, I'll be sure to get hold of them.

Much appreciated,

Craig

6. Tom@Foresight

When will you both be graduateing?

Have you had any thoughts about avanues of work yet?

TOM

7. CraigLeeJKD

I expect it will be between March - July next year for me.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm gonna do yet. I definitley want to be freelance but I might look at starting off in one of the well known chain of gyms.

8. Victoria

Thanks for the books Tom. I'll probably pick some up, especially the first one :)

My level two is over a few weekends then the exam etc, so should be all finished by the beginning of next year. Then on to level 3 :cool:
    I'm only thinking of freelancing at the moment, or something part time while at uni :)

9. Tom@Foresight

Freelance is a very difficult area to get in on, but possible if you offer a good level of service and don't go crazy on the old priceing.

I am currently working on a series of articles for PTonthenet about setting up a PT company in the UK. When i get them done in the next few months i will e-mail you copies if you are interested.

Craig, it is oftern a good idea to start in a gym and prctice your art! Get practice in when it is not costing you money via lost clients. There are also alot of chains that will provide you with funding for 12 REP's points a year, so thats another course out of them.

Victoria, WHat will you be studying in uni? Sports related?

TOM

10. Victoria

Sports science :)

Yes those articles would be worth a read Tom. Thank you!

11. spirez

spirez Valued Member

Tom i've just ordered the first two books you recommended, thanks for that.

I'd also be interested in seeing those articles once done please, if that's ok with you?

Victoria just a quick question, how old are you going to be when you start the course? Reason i ask is that i;ve seen something about being an independent or mature student if over the age of 21, or if you have been working since leaving school. This means you may not need to pay the course fees but i'm not sure exactly how this system works.

Have you done A-level or college qualifications?

Cheers

12. taekwonguy

taekwonguy Very Valued Member :)

13. taekwonguy

taekwonguy Very Valued Member :)

lol I also want to be a personal trainer, something like Ross Enamait, I am starting a National Diploma in Sport and Exercise Science in September, then I want to get a level three certification that can be done alongside I think, then I want to do a degree in Sport Science, is this a good route?

14. spirez

spirez Valued Member

I'm in a similar situation as you because i come from an engineering background, meaning i have no biology or sport qualifications.

I say similar because my choices are either to do a 1 year foundation degree before a 3 year degree at uni or do a two year national diploma at college and then head straight onto the 2nd year of the sport science degree.

I'm going to go the uni route i think because the college environment is ****. I did engineering for 4 years and there are too manhy little chav kids thinking they own the place, it;s really quite sad!

15. Tom@Foresight

HI all

The uni route is a good one, however make sure you do a course with a REP's level 3 included. Some courses are tailored towards people who are looking at doing research into sport, work in bio mechanics ect.. and not really geared up to give you the skills for PT work.

Before you consider uni i would weigh up a vocational course such as the Premier Diploma (www.premierglobal.co.uk) or the YMCA PT course (www.ymcafit.org.uk). These are the two market leaders, each course is about 6 weeks long full time and are conducted at venues across the UK. Premier also does a full 12 week course which is PT, nutritional advice, sports therapy and body massage. YMCA has a similar one too.

Personally i did the Premier course for my Level three in 2000, found the course content and structure great! since then i have done other courses with both premier and YMCA and could not fault them.

TOM

16. Tom@Foresight

PS anyone who would like copies of the PT business articles when done (should have series done in April) just PM me you e-mail addy and i will get tehm sent out to you.

TOM

17. Tom@Foresight

Hi all,

Just thought i would post this here for all you looking at PT training:-

http://www.trainingshow.co.uk/

Training Show at Excel London 19th and 20th May, same weekend as Seni, so all those going down for that can pop their head in.
    Never been to this show myself so do not know how good it will be or if it is worth it, but going to have a look in this year.

TOM

18. spirez

spirez Valued Member

Just a little bump for this thread.

I've just completed my first week of the Premier Diploma and have to say that so far it's been absolutely fantastic! We've started out with some basic biology and physiology info with some training theory thrown in to mix it up a bit but the proper training theory starts next week. It's still fairly basic at this level but once i start the actual level 3 personal trainer part it's going to get more in-depth. I'm only studying level 2 gym instruction at the moment but it's a great foundation to build upon.

The information seems really good and is delivered excellently, i'm picking it up realy quickly.

It was an expensive course but this is going to set me up for life hopefully so it's a small price to pay imo. Plus from what i;ve seen of people who've done other courses it seems structured much better, more up to date and the info seems better too. One mate did a future fit course and the work he showed me didn't look all that great. It actually seemed a little dated

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  19. spirez

spirez Valued Member

double post

20. Tom@Foresight

Hi Spirez,

Glad your enjoying the course mate!!

TOM