Personal frustration

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by JJJ845, Feb 15, 2012.

1. JJJ845

JJJ845 New Member

We started for standing a took him down with a yoko otoshi, went into mount held him in this position for some time them fingers in eye and bite

2. JJJ845

JJJ845 New Member

Yes and injury is rare , because we don't take it to extremes unless needed

3. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

No attempts from him? Just bam, takedown, mount, finish iwithout any opposition? No striking even?

4. Goshin Wow-za

Goshin Wow-za Valued Member

Ok guys, first of all, I could care less if you believe it or not. I don't define myself or my experience by what you think. But really Giovanni, this is not a difficult technique to excecute. Watch a video then try it out, it's really not hard to do. Looks impressive, but not difficult, particularily on a person that's not seen it before.

Nowhere did I say we were "too deadly for bjj", so that's just a cop-out. And I'm sorry, but nobody "demanded to roll" nor "challenged me to fight". Class ended and I was asked if I wanted to roll. I obliged. I used techniques we use in our dojo ALL THE TIME, I didn't try to deceive anyone, so please spare me the "poor bjj fighter got taken advantage of" nonsense. He came in as a cocky little turd, and regardless of how you are misinterpretting it, that had to do with HIM, not bjj, or bjj players in general.

And most of all, don't roll me up into a group with the OP. I just threw my two cents in. You asked me to provide an example. I was then asked to expand on it, which I did. Don't ask me to throw you a bone and then complain about how it tastes.

5. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Yes to what?

You tap? Or do live weapons training with no restrictions?

So you do have rules.

How about ukemi? Do you allow your partner to take ukemi at any point in training?

6. Dean Winchester

So what was the intent behind the eye gouge?

7. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i'm not debating whether you threw a scissor lock and whether it worked or not. i'm ranked in hapkido and we were taught to execute the exact same technique. and i won't lump you in with the other guy. but if you don't tell a guy there's no rules, and he's operating under what he thinks is a ruleset, then that would put you at an advantage. no? were there strikes in your fight?

8. Goshin Wow-za

Well we'll have to agree to disagree on that point. As a student, it was not my responsibility to have a sit down discussion with this kid before we roll, when he's just been sitting in a class for two hours learning small joint manipulations and the like. He had a martial arts background, in an "alive" training environment, and should have been prepared for any eventuality if he's going to engage in live sparring with an unknown martial artist. These are well known techniques, it wasn't some amazing "teh deadly" secret maneover. I wasn't biting and eye gouging... I used on-syllabus techniques that are hanging on the wall for all to see.

Frankly this is starting to sound like a bunch of excuse making by folks that can't handle that a bjj player doesn't have automatic-win status over guys studying a more traditional MA (Which we barely qualify as, considering our penchant for cross training, which makes this discussion even more ludicrous), and that use of "illegal" techniques DOES throw a wrench in their gears from time to time. I've trained with numerous bjj players, aikidoka, judoka, and had nothing but respectful and enlightening discussions and training sessions. I've also been positively owned by bjj-trained guys on numerous occasions, and I don't whine and cry about it, or let it affect my perception of my own training. It was an example from my experience that fit the topic. I wasn't bragging or insulting anyone or anyone's art. You're just taking it out of context and making it something it isn't.

P.S. Goshin is japanese for self-defence. It also clearly states this in plain english. This is purely semantics anyway.

9. Goshin Wow-za

Fair enough. Agreed, it was an advantage. Although, to be fair, this is all based on the hypothetical that he was not aware of the rules (or lack thereof), and that even if he had been, would have been able to defend against it.

And as far as striking, of course not, we were rolling. Do you strike when you roll?

10. Dean Winchester

Ah the way it was phrased made me think it was a club you teach at.

Still as a senior I still feel you have a similar responsibility to check the new guys are clued up not to mention a responsibility to your teacher and Dojo, gym etc not to cause unnecessary trouble for them.

I haven't questioned the technical performance simply the attitude displayed you displayed in the quote I posted.

Well considering what I study I can hardly be accused of being anti TMA.

I'm using what you said on here about your responsibility within the Dojo, can't see how it was out if context.

Yeah I know what it means it's rather generic don't you think? Just the name alone wouldn't convey what was being taught as such and it wouldn't clue anyone in to the rule set used within.

It would only give a general idea and there would be a very good chance that it would be misunderstood either by the perspective student or even those running the Dojo.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  11. Goshin Wow-za

Sorry Dean, I wasn't trying to make an accusation specifically directed at you. I must admit I feel like I'm a little outnumbered on this one, and that the words I'm using are being twisted to fit an agenda of some kind in this discussion. I was directing the comment at the torch-carrying mob. Sorry.

I don't see how getting a tap with a technique we are taught in class is causing trouble for the dojo or my instructor. I wasn't walking around high fiving people and screaming "in your face!!!" afterwards. He wasn't thrown to the curb afterward like a cur in some old samurai movie. It was a friendly match that happened to end quickly. And it's being made out like I'm claiming I won the gold medal at ADCC or something. The guy kept training with us, it's not like I started an inter-club war or something. I just said he complained I only won because of an illegal takedown. That's it, that's all. The rest of this is semantics and reading too deep into things. Period.

Like I said, I don't disagree that his hypothetical belief that everyone operates under bjj tournament rules put him at a disadvantge. I just disagree that that somehow makes me the "bad guy." I train for self-defense, not sport. And I'm not going to apologize for doing what I train to do.

12. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

haha I know, where is this gym ? Im going to bring the young team down for a session, katanas, shanks, baseball bats with nail's through them. the works !

13. Goshin Wow-za

My guess is that's probably the last we'll see of JJJ845.

14. Dean Winchester

You'd be eye gouged into submission.

Thing is even training for "the street (tm)" you have rules to contend with.

Be they legal, social or personal morals, ethics etc.

Then of course there's just the common sense stuff during training that you need so that you can have a productive session and long term martial career.

15. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

OP is talking cack and I call shenanigans

I train for no rules and work and fight under no rules and and would certainly never escalate to this level just to massage my own ego in a training hall....what would he have done if his bite didn't work? Shank him?

No rules my aching ass....

16. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

You can't seriously expect a jury to believe that he consented to being bitten or have an eye gauged by you in class. :rolleyes: If I was on your jury, I'd vote you guilty immediately.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  17. Decision Tree

Decision Tree Valued Member

This thread is total BS. JJJ845 - eye gouging people and biting them hard enough to draw blood! WTF? You are asking for serious trouble. Legal trouble as well as a personal fued/ vendetta with this guy just because you have a massive ego. I'd rather let someone gain position on me (and then work to reverse it) than have to resort to that sort of stuff in a training environment. There really is no excuse.

If we are on the deadly streets - do what is necessary to survive (which does not always include gouging people in the eye.) It shouldn't include that stuff really if you're capable. Protect everyone - including your opponent.

Eg - Problem: drunk guy punches at your face. Solution: Blind him for life by attaking his eyes. Outcome: Jail. Decisoin: Justified.

18. jspicer

jspicer Valued Member

:rolleyes: those wiley BJJ guys. I too get frustrated, I train in JJJ.

I got nothin against BJJ, but it seems that alot of the BJJ students (and teachers) are extremely arrogant.

just my experiance.

may i ask who you train with in JJJ?

19. jspicer

jspicer Valued Member

haha understandable for sport, however when your defending your self. id rather not let them even touch me. the moment they lay a hand on me pain happens any way possible. if i can break there arm good, fingers? fine. if i have to bite them. so be it

hahaha :D

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  20. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Neither are dependable fight enders.