Personal distance record :)

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by E-Rocker, Jun 21, 2015.

1. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

About a month ago, I started running two or three times a week, just because I felt like changing up my fitness routine a bit.

Because of an old injury, my left leg is much stronger than my right, so running is somewhat challenging.

Yesterday, I ran six miles, which is by far the furthest I've ever run. I am really happy about this.

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Well done! :)

3. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

Thank you!

4. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

Congrats :D

5. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Nice work!

I clearly remember how pleased I was to run three miles without stopping when I got back into running, and how far it seemed. Six miles would have been like running to the moon and back!

What was the furthest that you had run before that?

6. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

Thanks!

I don't know exactly what the furthest I had run before was, but I think it was roughly 3.5 miles. Since I started my recent running adventure, I've been using an app that tracks my runs using GPS, which is how I know the recent run was six miles. Looking forward to my shift ending, so I can get out there again.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  7. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

GPS apps are in my opinion a great encourager for the beginner runner, and if it wasn't for mine, I'm not sure had have managed this distances that I have.
    If you are married or have a long term partner, suggest to them that they get you a GPS watch for your next Birthday, then if you ever start to feel that running is no longer for you, you will have the extra encouragement of the "I didn't just spend £200 on a stupid bloody watch, for you to sit at home on your lazy ass!" sermon... TRUST ME!!! Lol

Well done, and keep up the good work mate...

Regards,

Travess

8. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Most smartphones have gps chips in them now and there are dozens of apps for tracking runs. Plus, the batteries last longer on a phone than on one of those watches. I see no value added by a really expensive, battery hungry watch, where you need to manually upload the gpx files to your computer.

9. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

I personally found the GPS on my phone to be vastly inferior to that of my (Garmin) watch, with distance to time ratio often being affected by numerous 'signal drop off points'

Travess

10. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I love my Garmin watch. It appeals to my need to track things and allows me to programme various interval sessions. Plus I'm a technophobe as far a phones go, so don't have (or want) and smart phone.