Personal Dilemma

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by TonyMc, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I second that. Plus Peter is near by which I know you'll get more bang for your buck. I have one guy who travells a 4 hour round trip every week to train with me in the regular classes a 200 mile round trip. But he sees value in it. And yes he has a family as well as military commitments.

So as is said before you either want it or you don't.

Regards

Pat.

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I drive an hour or so to and from class, generally once a day, and yeah, commuting sucks. I'd say the bigger problem though, is the fact that you're only getting one 45 minute lesson a week. Warrior Eskrima doesn't seem that much further away, if they offer more frequent classes, I'd do that. Alternatively, you might try looking for some other martial arts that are closer to your area. In my opinion, it would do more for you to go to boxing/kyokushin/judo/bjj/muay thai/whatever class 4 or 5 times a week for 90 minutes each time, than FMA once a week for 45 minutes (not a comment on the individual arts involved, just on the class schedules).

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  3. Pat OMalley

It will admit 45 minutes for a class is useless hence I personally would look at other systems of FMA that are around the same distance. Peter Lewis is a top class instructor as are the Warrior guys. Mind you with Peter you not only get Bahad Zubu and Bakbakan but you also have to realise he became an instructor in Warriors many moons ago so he has a wealth of knowledge to draw from and is well respected in the Philippines. Hence I said you'd get more bang for your buck with him.

Go try him out I'm sure you won't be disappointed as he has turned out some classy guys over the years.

4. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

Many thanks, Pat. Yes, I have extensive experience of Warrior's Eskrima gained over almost 11 years as a senior representative of that art. At the time of my switch to Bahad Zu'Bu / Bakbakan Kali Ilustrisimo, I was a 5th Degree instructor in Warrior's Eskrima.

Tony has my details from previous contact and the door is open for him to take advantage of the offer for high grade instruction in the FMA!

5. Blue Cupboard

Blue Cupboard New Member

Peter, why don't you post some clips of yourself training / teaching etc?

6. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

What is it about FMA that you want to learn, the obvious question is are there other styles that can teach you something the same or at least similar? I'm not familiar with any FMA, so I can't really help there.

7. ned

ned Valued Member

must be kind if expensive hiring a hall for 2students.what about training outside?i used to train with a small group,we'd use a squash court in winter and the park as soon as weather permitted-no limits on your time either

8. Peter Lewis

Thanks for your suggestion. If I knew who was asking me, I might consider posting something! (I have a well-documented dislike for the use of pseudonyms!) :evil:

9. Blue Cupboard

Blue Cupboard New Member

Just thought you might want to substantiate your boasts of your knowledge experience and high grade instruction with evidence, let's see you demonstrate your teaching, movement and combative skills

10. Peter Lewis

Hahahahaha Nice try Blue Cupboard, but I was stating fact and not boasting! I certainly do not need to substantiate anything on this forum to you or anyone else. I have been around long enough for people here to know who I am and what I teach and where my authority comes from!

Concerning my rank / status, I represented Pangulong Guro Krishna Godhania from 1994 to 2005 and achieved the rank of Senior Associate Instructor (5th Degree) in Warrior's Eskrima (I believe that this remains one of the highest Warrior's Eskrima awarded grades in the UK). I am the senior active representative for Bakbakan International in Europe and was the first non-Filipino authorised by a member of the Romo family ( Grandmaster Yuli Romo January 2004).

My comments are directed at Tony because he is the one seeking FMA instruction and we have had private contact previously about the same subject!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  11. Pat OMalley

Blue Cupboard. Well being a member of the Philippine Council of Kali Eskrima Arnis Masters who HQ is based in Manila. A member of the Katipunab Global Council. Former Vice President of WEKAF. OH I could go on but don't want to brag ;) Peter's rank is bonifide to say the least. He is without question one of the senior FMA instructors here in the UK and Europe.

But don't take my word for it. Ask in the Philippines and they will tell you the same.

12. Pat OMalley

And you do you think Peter would be a founding and senior member of the British Council of Kali Eskrima Arnis Instructors if his rank and background was questionable.

I mean this is a council that has in its ranks the likes of GM Brian Jones, GM Bob Breen, GM John Harvey, Masters Shaun Porter, Eric Amada, Steve Tappin, Master Krishna Godhania and then some. As a matter of fact it host 95% of the UK's top senior practitioners many of whom are the leading practioners and instructors in their relative systems. Do you honestly think they would have him stand side by side with them if he was of questionable background?

So yes Peter is right he has no need to prove himself to anyone. Especially to someone who hides behind a pseudonym. ;)

13. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

Could you find some friends who might want to train with you, take them and split the fuel costs? you then don't have to worry about the costs and have someone who you can train with on a more regular basis closer to home =)

last year leading up to a big comp I was entering I was tryng to get as much training in as possible, my sensei only does 2 classes a week, so to get more in I was going to train at other assocciation clubs and some of those were 100 mile round trips, and I was doing those extra classes 2-3 times a week in the weeks leading up to the competition, it certainly does add up on the fuel bill >_<

14. Ansgar Eriksson

Ansgar Eriksson New Member

Hi - I'm new here so I'm not sure I should be posting in what seems to me to be somewhat of a heated conversation, but I'd still be very interested in seeing another great representative of FMA display their skills. I've only recently taken an interest in FMA (my background is somewhat different but deals with weapons) and have been really impressed by what is out there - especially Ray Dionaldo - Peter: is your stuff similar to his?

Regards

Ansgar

15. Peter Lewis

Hi Ansgar

Many thanks for your post and nothing heated here...just a need for some clarification, I guess!

The system of Ray Dionaldo is heavily influenced by Sayoc Kali, which although blade-based, differs from the Bakbakan Kali Ilustrisimo (Grandmaster Rey Galang) and Bahad Zu'Bu (Grandmaster Yuli Romo) systems that I represent. The latter systems having very strong links and direct lineage to the system of the late Grandmaster Antonio 'Tatang' Ilustrisimo.

Regards

Peter

16. Blue Cupboard

Blue Cupboard New Member

Lots of name dropping but no evidence of ability

17. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

And you are qualified to make such a statement because...?

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Why are you so interested in Peter's ability?

19. Pat OMalley

No name dropping just the people he trains with and the high ranks that recognise his abilities. So lots of credentials more like.

So what is your credentials? Do they match up?

20. Blue Cupboard

Blue Cupboard New Member

Evidence is a fundamental part of proving anything and everything ...