"Perisai Diri"

Discussion in 'Silat' started by bns85, Apr 21, 2010.

1. bns85

bns85 New Member

hello,

i have encountered a school in my area (sydney, AUS) teaching Silat Perisai Diri, from Indonesia

i know there are so many different styles of silat and likewise different focus in terms of competition fighting, self defence, magic, dance and so on

does anyone have any experience or comments regarding this particular silat system?

thank you

ben

2. Ducard

Ducard Valued Member

Greetings Ben,

I am not familiar with that style of silat.

There are some video clips of Silat Perisai Diri on Youtube.

When you get the chance visit the other martial art school in your area so you can compare and contrast better. You might meet an amazing instructor that will change your outlook on martial arts.

3. bns85

bns85 New Member

Thank you for your reply.

I have seen the video clips. I just wonder if there was anybody practicing this, or who has had personal experience in visiting a class or otherwise, could give their thoughts.

4. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

It is unusual in that they have punches/kicks which look like tkd. Completely upright, no ground fighting/locks/grappling. They even wear karate type clothing.

If it was not mentioned I would never suspect or call it Silat.

5. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

It is very definitely silat :).
    It is originally influenced by various styles of Chinese arts ... I'll have to do a little research to give you the definitive mix.
    It is a rather hard and appears to my eyes to be very linear. When I was in high school in Jogja, a flatmate was a practitioner of Perisai Diri ... and I remember then that my impression was that it was very tough and direct style.

6. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

http://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keluarga_Silat_Nasional_Indonesia_Perisai_Diri

There's an English one as well .. but incomplete.

Basically RM Soebandiman Dirdjoatmodjo the founder is from the Paku Alaman, area in Jogja ... his title is Raden Mas so he's related to the Paku Alaman kraton. Initially he learned the martial arts of the kraton as well as classical dancing.
    At a fairly early age he left home to accumulate silat skills and learned quite a few different styles. His adventures took him from Jombang in East Java to Minangkabau and Aceh on the other extreme.

He also studied Shaolinshi, with Yap Kie San ... that appears to be the Chinese connection.

That's it in a very basic nut-shell. He went on to receive honours from the Indonesian government for his dedication and contribution to silat.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

7. kilat02

kilat02 Valued Member

YO

this is the he Perisai Diri by Ruud van Weldam developed from the background of the Indonesian Pencak Silat. When Ruud van Weldam in 1958 came to the Netherlands, it appeared that many techniques of Pencak Silat is not suitable for the large Dutch. He expanded his style so much with such techniques from Karate, Taekwando, Kung Fu and Kickboxing. He also introduced the combinations of high and low positions and fighting techniques, which often yields unexpected and surprising attacks.

The Perisai Diri from Ruud van Weldam is a complete and energetic martial art, which the Dutch hardness and fighting spirit are linked to Asian elegance and flexibility. This is expressed both in self-defense techniques in different game situations.