Performance Wushu in the Cage

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by TheMightyMcClaw, Nov 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

At the recent Detroit Bullshido Throwdown, I did a couple of MMA fights with some other members. The rules were standard MMA rules, plus no knees or elbows to the head, no knees to the body on the ground, and no heel hooks. Full contact, but wearing 8 oz MMA training gloves instead of normal 4 oz gloves.
    I had, prior to the Throwdown, made promises to fight someone using performance wushu techniques.
    And I did.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saTleRQoftM"]Round 1[/ame]
    Round 2

And I won. It was with a triangle choke, but whatever.
    So anyways, to all you Chunners, Choy Lay Futties, Tanglang Boxers, and Bagua-Zhangists.... time to hop in the cage. ^_~

2. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

BSCLF

I cant speak for other clf schools just my owen the buck sing school, it works best in the street gloves an rules only dilute it and we dont wrestle. If we end up on the ground then eye gouging knees and elbows work well. If we do enter the ring there are only a few kf techniques that you can practicaly use
    it becomes more like kick boxing.

3. TheMightyMcClaw

And that is precisely the type of played-out jive I was satirizing.

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

:rolleyes:

5. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

Ha Ha .... loved the pose at the beginning. And the tornado kick......

keep doing what your doing man.
    Have fun and train hard.

6. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

How funny would it have been if you'd accidentally caught him with that torando kick and knocked him out? Then you'd have out satired yourself!

7. GSHAMBROOKE

BSCLF

I wasnt giving you jive as you put it thats the same as bs yeah i was telling you how it is with us and that guy threw a stupid kick and wush dosent belong in the ring anyway i tried fighting in the ring once but cant get my head around the rules makes me think to much other students ive known have done very well any way im not critisizing do what you do best.

8. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Oh you've come to the right place. I do rather recall certain people falling over themselves to claim to be the real representitives of kung fu - Sifu Julian Dale, Sifu Ben, Sifu Steve Burton. And the others.

Humbly, I refer your challenge to where the buck actually stops - the self proclaimed kings of kung fu.

Where'd they go!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  9. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Basically what you're saying is that you can't fight for real, and your KF is no good.

10. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

MMA allows a lot of stuff. In MMA sparring I've used palm strikes, ridge hands, ect. It can be used, you just don't know how to use your KF in a real situation.

11. DEATHskull

DEATHskull TKD Bearfighter

Score one for Wushu! Good job man!

12. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Yes, great job TheMightyMcClaw!

13. beknar

beknar Valued Member

And you kept slamming and slamming him on the mat. Damn. BAM! and then BAM! Not too heavy (trying to kill each other) on the striking, no one got hurt too badly, and you guys are still friends right?

At least you didn't get thrown on your face. That always ruins a guy's day.

14. TheMightyMcClaw

Wush(u) doesn't belong in the ring? But oh, then what was that video your eyes just beheld?
    Wushu 1. Not wushu 0. :p
    If I can use performance wushu, by far the hokiest and fakest of Chinese martial arts, in a full contact environment, then why can't you use real CMA in the same?

15. TheMightyMcClaw

Man, the guard slamming was the best part. I can totally see why MMAists don't bother with guard passes. :p
    He was actually hitting me pretty hard. That head kick had me seeing stars, and that hook he caught me with left a really cool looking bruise on my face.
    I, of course, was intentionally eschewing real striking. Not that I have any real power generation abilities to speak of, anyway.

16. GSHAMBROOKE

BSCLF

I agree that they should take up the challeng but why dont you challenge them for real no rules no protection set it up in a school the doors get shut and the only rule is when the other person gives up or cant fight back then you shake hands and that is that, thats the way we use to solve challenges.

And as for my kf being no good its saved me from serious injury or maybe worse on more than one occation and as far as all this challenging gose personaly im over it but im shure there are plenty of hot heads in the clfbsg that would take you up on it but they wont know if you dont tell them not every one is on map.

17. Omicron

Omicron is around.

Forget your KF, I think it's your punctuation that's no good.

18. GSHAMBROOKE

b

Yeah you're right cant argue with that my spellings not allways good either ill try to remember to check it in future anyway im not perfect far from it.
    Every ones got to be good at something i've only ever been good at two, Kung Fu and cooking, school wasn't really one of them and i only learnt to use a computer three years ago.

My apologies:)

19. Mr. O

Mr. O Valued Member

lets throw a cat among the pigeons! I cant really see anything wushu like in that vid apart from a big jumping spinny kick thing! oh and your stance at the start!

kudos for getting in the cage like, well done there though!

20. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Great stance(before the fight started) and good job in the fight in general. Loved the vertical lifting throw in the first. Based on your title though I expected to see some of the modern wushu actually work. You never came close to landing any of the tornado kicks and you nearly got your landing leg kicked out from under you on the first one and the slow motion butterfly kick, why. By the way that's not really a kick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.