Perfect Circle - Imagine

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Tika, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Tika

Tika New Member

I just heard the Perfect Circle remake of the lennon song Imagine. Good time to remake it yes, but darn that remake is JUNK.

Dont get me wrong, I love perfect circle. But "Imagine" is one of those songs that just really gets me going. Right now is a great time to remake it, I just dont think perfect circle was the best band do to it. It seemed basically mono-tone, and did nothing for me. Anyone else hear it?

2. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

No I haven't heard it. I would suspect a good band to do that as a remake would be The Blues Travelers. Although it would loose the soft flowing of the words. But this reminded me of a song by the late and great Stevie Ray Vaughn and his brother. The song is Tick Tock.

3. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

i liked it, i thought it was very atmospheric, but i never really liked the original, so i'm biased.

4. Furikuchan

Furikuchan New Member

Aargh.
    I ADORED Perfect Circle's remake. It has turned away from the Yoko Ono-inspired hippie ballad into a desperate, depressing, sarcastic cry for help void of any hope that is so beautiful it made me burst into tears! ONLY Maynard could have pulled that one off.

5. Tika

Tika New Member

wow...Im surprised. Well, glad SOME people liked it:). I guess Im one of the only ones who actually likes the old version.

6. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

I LOVE the new version, sorry Tika. Gotta go with Maynard's voice. . . . . . absolutely amazing. . . . . .

7. Stan O'Kella

Stan O'Kella Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

I'm with you Tika, the original is the best version, by far. The one by perfect circle is ok, it lacks imagination in the reworking of it, does nothing to set it apart from the original. The simplicity of the instruments and Lennon's pure voice mean the original is so much better.

One of my favourite songs, and always will be, just not the newer version.

8. Tika

Tika New Member

alright stan! good to know im not the only one! ;)

9. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

i tend to like modern music a lot better than old stuff. i think tool are ten times better than the beatles, and maynard is way better than john lennon, otherwise i'd be listening to the beatles every day instead of tool. just my opinion though.

10. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Same here. I believe that Maynard truly gave the lyrics of "Imagine" a definitive sound, that he really captured the atmosphere of those words.

11. Tika

Tika New Member

hehe dont get me wrong guys... I love tool...perfect circle... deo..black sabbath...queensryche... the used...you name it...I just think lennons version had more emotion to it.

12. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

i can agree with you a bit there about the emotion. because it's his song, no one will ever sing it with the same mean as him. i just don't like it that much.