Pencak Silat Cimande Macan Guling - WTF?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by slipthejab, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

No disrespect, but I doubt it very much.

2. nasigoreng

nasigoreng Valued Member

you're probably right.

3. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

:rolleyes: Yet again we confuse kembangan or pulut with the 'ol blah blah real fight chestnut :rolleyes: C'mon the clip isn't saying 'do this in a fight' :rolleyes:

TBH we could say much the same about a long winded kata or a fancy kung fu form couldn't we :)

Maybe it aint all about the physical movements but a little more to do with expression and state of mind. :D

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Hmm... I'm not exactly sure I follow you here.
    I still don't get what's the point in throwing yourself on the ground like that.
    If someone had said it represents a sacrafice throw or something similar then I'd get it... but frankly it still looks like a big flopping fish. One minute he's standing... the next the flops onto the ground.

In simple english... what is the point of that? The intent behind that move is...? :confused:

5. Wali

Wali Valued Member

If you give the exact time that you are referring to in the video, I'll see if I can see what context that would be possibly used. In many silat styles, you get in close, clinch onto the leg(s) and drop your weight, bringing your opponent down.

I'll await your reply.

6. Gorka

Gorka Valued Member

Hi everyone,

I'm happy to see that this presentation clip reveals some reactions.
    Actually, it's me who took most of the material on this video.
    About the "form" of the young guy with all the knee's crossing and the ground attitude, it's a free form flow in which the silat player plays freely with different traditional posture of the style and with his inspiration. It's not a codified form.
    It's more kind of free flow dance than a effectiveness demonstration.

This is pure traditionnal Pencak Silat school coming from the rice fields around the small city of Serang.

I hope you'll understand better this clip with this small explanations...

wassalam
    Gorka

7. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

I train in MMA and study some Silat as part of my training. I have found, on occasion techniques from Harimau, and other Silat forms to be of great use. I don;t know the technical terms as my Silat exposure is these limited to short seminar sessions and occasional diversion in our JKD classes when my instructor wants to compare a different perspective with that gained from Jun Fan, so i'll describe as best I can.

We often practise a technique that we refer to as "Shooting the tunnel" basically a "Single Leg" takedown that, once a hold is found on the target leg is turned in to a rapid spinning takedown. Believe me this has proven to be of excellent value against people who try and sprawl a little too late, as it all but negates the strength vs strength aspect fo treying to pursue and maintain the takedown.
    Putakapala (sp?) turns up in my MMA sparring regularly too as a clinch defense/takedown, and really freaks out a lot of opponents.

Many of the basic techniquea from the first 3 Jurus that we are taught find application constantly during MMA and even Muay Thai Sparring.... Simple trasp and limb disruptions that disrupt the rhythm of your oponent giving you openings that might otherwise not be there.
    Silat is an art that I would esperately love to study as a standalone art but my Gym no longer offers this (my schedule is insane anyway, up to 16 classes a week on top of my 9-5 job), at present I have to make do with salvaging individual techniques from the short periods of Silat exposure I have and pluggin them into my current fighting system.

It works really well, every Silat session I find soemthing new to use, dor some new application of another techinique that is mirrored in another style I have studied. Don't knock it till you;ve actually tried it.

Seriously Sgt-Major you sound like one of those people who says "Trapping doesnt work in the cage/ring/street/whatever" It does, mybe you just can't recognise it yet.

8. Sgt_Major

For your information, I studied Silat for 4 years as my sole art. How long have you studied silat?? hmmm?

9. SCP_Kensei

Read the post, it answers that question.

I havent doen much Silat at all but I still have found techiniques applicable to MMA.

Maybe it's just the styles I have been exposed to.

10. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Some years back when I worked out in a MMA gym I found that Silat helped my grappling skills (especially standup grappling) quite a bit. My wrestling sucked, but it didn't suck nearly as badly as it would have otherwise.

11. tim_stl

tim_stl Valued Member

variations of many things in silat exist in freestyle wrestling. most of the nelsons (quarter, half, three-quarter) are called putar kepala in silat. i've done variations of a whizzer, single leg, ankle pick, fireman's carry, flying mare, etc. in silat. the difference is in the 'delivery system' (to borrow a phrase from a particular mma exponent). silat wants to avoid wrestling with an opponent.

also, the clip looks like silat to me. some of the harimau movements are very familiar.

tim

12. Pekir

Pekir Valued Member

Sgt. Major,

I guess you're not stating that 4 years is a long enough time to comprehend silat or one of the silat styles for that matter?

Pekir

13. Sgt_Major

4 years is a drop in the ocean for any MA, not silat specifically. All Im saying is that in a fight outside a training mat, a lot of Silat techniques I just wouldnt use.

14. SCP_Kensei

But there are those you would right?

15. Monyet Nakal

Monyet Nakal Valued Member

I'm not affiliated so please don't consider this an advert, but IMHO the video "Kali Tudo" put out by the Dog Brothers does a fine job of opening the mind up to how to begin integrating pentjak silat principles into an MMA/Sportfighting arena.

I've lent my copy to some friends who were fairly hardcore about preaching MMA and very vocal and disparaging of traditional arts (pentjak silat in particular to me since they knew it was my background) and it caused almost all of them to rethink their position on it. (at least all of the ones willing to have an open-mind and be honest)

16. Sgt_Major

not so much techniques, as concepts.

17. tellner

tellner Valued Member

I can't off hand think of a single movement from Sera that I wouldn't use in a fight. How and when depend, of course, on the circumstances and my understanding.

18. Aiodan7

Aiodan7 Valued Member

Hey Sgt Major

I know this may be an off topic but your photos are excellent, you have now caused me a serious bout of home sickness

Aiodan7

19. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

Exactly my point. Why would I train 'techniques' that are useless? For cultural reasons or out of respect? If I don't understand the use yet it's because I don't have complete understanding of the movements and underlying principles and I have trust in my teacher to reveal their 'secrets' later on. Some people are so quick to dismiss the movements and techniques of their style.

I do agree however that in an MMA environment (a sports environment that is) some techniques might not come in handy, but then again I don't practice sports.

20. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

A "technique" is a specific idea of motion designed as a response ... it is reactive in nature and is limited by it's design criteria.

When we learn a bunch of "techniques" it's akin to having a "Problem Solving Manual". Go to page 47 to analyse the sequence of beeps and lights and determine what to do. It is an process reactionary to a narrow band of stimuli.

When we go beyond technique, we sometimes discover general principles.
    Principles are much more useful than techniques because we gain a deeper level of understanding.

In general, it also appears to me that meaningful answers will be forthcoming when the initial question is couched in the language of respect. I think this is missing in the genesis of this thread maybe ... Slipthejab? Or maybe I misunderstand.

FWIW, the kembangan presented has flow, is dynamic with expression and above all has heart.

Thank you Mas Gorka for sharing your experience! You are a true friend.

Salam,
    Krisno