Pencak Dor

Discussion in 'Silat' started by jagoan neon, Feb 4, 2015.

1. jagoan neon

jagoan neon New Member

What do you know about Pencak Dor?
    try to read this article http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eating-holds-barred-martial-arts-contest.html, but i'm not sure that's an accurate information. I think it could be a No-Hold-Barred form of Pencak Silat, it could be an embryo of Professional Silat Match someday.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Video
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gcgl8TxNz2k"]Kumpulan Video "Pencak Dor Terbaru 2014" - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Somebody is bound to say it, so...

It looks like poor man's MMA. But, lest that sound dismissive or negative, I actually think that's a good thing. Whenever a stylist subjects himself or herself to a more permissive sparring format, things are going to look sloppy for a while. I think it's a necessary step on the road to applicability.

The early UFCs had lots of us thinking that everything we'd learned was pointless. But, as time went by, people came forward to show us that it hadn't been. It was just a question of developing a strong enough chassis (fundamental kickboxing/grappling) to bolt the more specialized stuff onto. Prior to Maurice Smith, for instance, we'd almost given up on the idea of high kicks being worth anything at all. But once he did the work of figuring out how they fit into the format, others began using them successfully as well.

I'm interested to see if the same thing happens with silat. Right now, the few takedowns in that video were all kinds of ugly. But once that basic framework is in place, I wonder if silat fighters will have more luck beginning to incorporate some of the less fanciful aspects of silat. A sapu leg drag here, a [insert silat technique name] there.

I think it could be good for silat.

Mind you, the bamboo cage, etc. might severely limit its appeal to a Western audience that's already split on "cage fighting."

Be interesting to see where it goes.

3. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

I agree it looks like poor man's MMA. However i sincerely hope that people first stick to what they learn in their own style and try to make it work in stead of using a basic framework based on boxing/kickboxing. It would be much more interesting to develop from the pukulan knowledge that some styles still have instead of just copying a different framework

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Honestly, I don't think that will work. If it did, that would make it just about the first combat art in recorded history to buck the trend. Basically every style taken into the ring winds up cooking down to something resembling basic kickboxing. If you're feeling cynical, you could suppose that this is because they weren't well taught enough in their style.

Personally, though, I think it's because that's a really logical framework. And those who accept it and make their home there are then successful in grafting more of their stylistic nuances onto it. Look at capoeira for example. You can now find people landing some pretty insane capoeira techniques in MMA, by incorporating them into a basic kickboxing/grappling framework.

5. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Agreed. There are different tactics and movement styles which can be used or needed outside of the ring depending on context. Inside the ring though the styles which have been operating in that context for the longest time are going to be best adapted to it. That shouldn't surprise anyone.

6. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

I agree with Sifu Ben that there is a ring context and out of ring context. In a sporting context MMA tends to be the format that is most succesfull now. Funnily you do see some changes over the years in that context. Slowly you see the Kickboxing skills becoming better in the UFC because to be honest i was never that impressed with the level of kickboxing there (sure they compensate by their well-rounded-ness.

But, sorry i'm getting off-topic there. Personally i don't go for the sporting context so basic-kickboxing skills doesn't do it for me, regardless of the respect i have for good kickboxers (and we have plenty in Holland)