Pen and Sword

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by ladyhawk, Oct 10, 2002.

1. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

Is the pen mightier then the sword or do they support
    and justify each other?

Thoughts anyone?

2. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Easy answer. Which would you prefer to be hit with?

As a metaphorical thing though its hard to say, I'd say that the sword is probably mightier, as the threat of the sword will overwhelm the pen any time.

3. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

I kindda think we use them to justify our actions.

OK, we justify fighting as defending our constitutional rights
    but these rights didn't actually become our rights untill they
    were put in written words.

Then we go back in time to the 10 commandments and Thou shall not kill.
    Written words that are difficult for the logical mind to justify with fighting.

An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. (not sure if that is the exact wording)
    but written words that speak for themselves.

4. energyboost

energyboost New Member

pen is mightier than the sword cause the pen signs papers that sends swords to war

5. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

But the sword at the throat of the person who signs the papers holds much more power, since the signer is then under their control. And if you take the sword away and merely hold it in sight, you've still got the control. Eventually you can put the sword away and there will still be fear of it.

As for the pen, when its gone that's it.

6. Spike

Spike New Member

The weilder of the sword will die eventually he may change the cause he fights sword, the sword can be bought, when words are written they are almost their forever.
    The pen decides who gets the money, the sword will need money before striking

7. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

The pen writes the orders the sword follows.

The sword may kill the writer.

Yet without the writer the deeds of the swordsman are never recorded, and without the swordsman there is little to write about?

8. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

The sword has but one use. The pen has shaped and expressed our thoughts and ideas about almost everything. In a literal sense, of course sword is dangerous, that's common sense. But what about the expression of the pen?? It too can be dangerous to some causes. Charles Darwin's words were expresses through the pen, and continue to battle religion. Words have been written and shared that have started revolutions. The bible continues to be one of the most influential books in history, and although it has instances of use of the sword it is the words that stay s strong. A sword can spread fear, a pen can shape a world.

9. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

Words can and are interpretted differently and this sometimes creates conflict........enter the sword.

10. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hmm i remember in magnificient butcher Sammo hungs master had one fighting scene with pen... :D i guess pen is mighter...
    ok seriously enuff...
    i think the things i wanted to say hav already said by sooooo venerables here ;) ...i'll keep quite who knows this keyboard can be mighteir too :D
    -TkdWarrior-

11. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

Speaking of keyoard, now a days many people are very brave hiding behind the keyboard. The sword shows it's true colors
    and commits itself to it's cause.

12. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

so that means keyboard is mightier it can even hide u beind itself...
    yay...
    -TkdWarrior-

13. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

Can the pen make a committment without being backed up by the sword?

14. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

Can the pen make a committment without being backed up by the sword?"

it all depends on who is holding it...
    politically it cannot make without backing up..
    theoritically it can make
    practically it depends on person...
    it's tough question...
    i m just 21 yet...will not even gotta marry in next 4-5 yrs(at least)
    then' probably i'll say about who's mighter... ;)
    -TkdWarrior-

15. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

I think the pen can have more influence than the sword, because after the war is over it's up to the artist and authors to record history and from a few things my sensai has told me it's not always recorded as it happened. I would also consider the pen the art of diplomacy and nowadays I think the pen is stronger.

16. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

TkdWarrior, my young friend,
    don't depend on marriage to give you answers to tough questions.

17. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

lol ladyhawk...if u notice i was just tryin to be humorous...it's hard to be that way on net...
    i m not depending on marriage anyway :D
    if u put me as an example n i put my words(for pen) then i'll stay with my words forever...judging myself...i'll stick with my pen(who'll write words) too...
    but we cannot define by personal views...
    -TkdWarrior-

18. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

Is the pen and sword a comparison to intelligence and strength? If so I would go for the pen. I would rather outthink my opponent then outmuscle him, altougth for som reason I always try to use brawn over brains when I grapple, I really have to learn to stop that it just gets me tied in more knots then when I started :D

19. Dragon_Princess

Dragon_Princess Princess Available

I'd rather be hit by the sword than the pen, so I'd say the sword is mightier.

20. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Sounds fair. If you wanna test that then I'll bring my sword, you bring your pen. :D