Pekiti Tirsia Kali announcement

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Tagapagbalita, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

its called lost your trolley. Reading GT Gaje's post he's acting as though he is a dictator of some small obscure country and the commanding general of his own private army.

I think he now fully believes his own propaganda and had finally lost the plot.

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Perhaps it's time to just provide the link to the Facebook feed in question. People can follow it at their leisure.

3. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

What's really significant here, IMHO, is that by this time or earlier, someone would've challenged me, Pat, shoot, nasi, Hannibal, even aaradia, to some sort of hotdog eating contest. Something's amiss.

PTK is under martial law. I hope Tim Waid takes advantage of this opportunity. He won, and he did it by doing nothing. Brilliant. He knew exactly the old man's weakness.;)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQmpqvoEpws"]"Come to where the Flavor is."[/ame]

4. nasigoreng

nasigoreng Valued Member

Or at the very least threaten us with a gypsy curse.

5. shootodog

shootodog restless native

I could still challenge you to a contest. Chili frijoles and 21k run through Mt. Pinatubo in bare feet.

6. shootodog

Why would anyone want to challenge me to eat hotdogs? I say man up! Eat chili frijoles and race me in barefeet across the lahar fields to Pinatubo!

7. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

is it the island of Boracay?

You sir have obviously been to where the flavor is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is the island "where no one dares", the mysterious Island of Boracay?

[​IMG]

8. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

Is it only me, or is Gaje insinuating that Tim Waid's a boy?

Because I'm pretty sure PTK's affiliation with the Philippine jungle school was/is Tuhon Tim Waid's project.

The Tortal clan may have some ancient form of Kali or a Spanish fencing legacy handed down to them as part of the landed class in Bacolod, but

they're no indigenous survival experts, that portion of PTK came from Tuhon Tim Waid's USMC connections and his passion for the Philippine jungle school. Give credit where credit is due. Integrity.

9. kalimutan

kalimutan Valued Member

I don't remember the Tortals being spoken of as being a "landed" class. I have read that Conrado did some missionary work, managed some land for large plantation, and become chief of police at some point.

Grand Tuhon Gaje went to college and I believe he received a bachelors degree in business administration. During his time in the university, GT Gaje became friends with other students who came from the "landed class", specifically the Aranetas and Gonzaga and others. Its the genesis of his connection with the landed class in Bacolod and around Negros Island. I believe GT was also in a university ROTC program and received a commision in the Philippine Army after graduation and was a 2nd Lieutenant.

10. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

Land & Rank

That's a good point to differentiate, kalimutan. Whether the Tortals were landed under the Spaniards (hacienderos), during the American period, or after the Japanese occupation, I'm not sure--but I do know GT Gaje's grandfather owns hundreds of acres of land.

As for Gaje's 2nd LT rank, was it just as a reservist? Was he ever on active duty? For how long? Thanks.

11. kalimutan

kalimutan Valued Member

GT's grandfather managed hundreds of acres or hectares, he did not own them. There wouldn't be a reason for him to work as a police officer and later the chief of police if he did.

GT was on active duty. I don't know for how long. He had a command as a 2nd Lieutenant.

12. nasigoreng

nasigoreng Valued Member

looks like a perfect opportunity for Thn Rommel. All he has to do, as leader of the rescue team, is leave GT on the island.

13. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

on Nepotism, Plutocracy & Cronyism in Philippines

Not necessarily, just like GT Gaje is a "symbolic" Lt. Colonel of the Philippine Army, some landed rich fellow in the Philippines can be "Chief of Police"--it's usually the opposite of meritoracy in Philippines, if you're gonna assume, assume that first.

Can you confirm Gaje's grandfather did not own land? I have two buddies, former PTK, that say GT Gaje grew up in a plantation or farm owned by his grandfather.

Was he active duty in the infantry or in support elements? What was the extent of his experience as a 2nd LT? Thanks.

14. kalimutan

kalimutan Valued Member

Landed Gentlemen do not take the work of policemen. If you became one it's probably because you had a reputation for winning fights or stopping fights. And if you became a police chief it means you're also not just a fighter to be reckoned with, but someone with a brain. Although looking a police chiefs in the Philippines now, I'd say that's no longer the case. ha ha ha

GT grew up in a plantation, it doesn't mean it was owned by his grandfather. If GT grew up with a land owning grandfather, then why would he say that he grew up poor. They had some land, probably enough to do plant some for their own subsistence, not hundreds of acres.

GT related to me the story that he only had 10 peso in his pocket when he asked his first wife to marry him. His father in law said, to the effect that, how dare he (leo) ask for his daughters hand in marriage being he's so poor. Does that sound like a man raised by land owners? I think not.

GT Gaje is a self made man. PTK is his life work and I can't blame him for being over protective with it. When I asked him the question: who among his most senior students has the complete PTK, he said NONE! Not Rommel, not Tim, and especially not any one of the other 12 Tuhons.

GT said he commanded a crew and was assigned to patrol a certain shoreline for smugglers and pirates. I don't know where.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  15. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

Agrarian Reform

I agree, GT Gaje is a self-made man. But when it comes to GT Gaje's stories, I'm usually suspicious, as are others I'm sure.

Ask about the hectares of land owned by his grandfather, don't make assumptions just yet. Then ask about the agrarian reform laws in the early 1990s and again, in the early 2000s. Verify.;)

16. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

I'd assume if pirates and smugglers are involved they were in Sulu. Was he Army or Navy? Would you know the dates of service? Thanks.

17. shootodog

The island where only pekiti dares...please be spratley, please be spratley.....

18. kalimutan

kalimutan Valued Member

He was in the Army. I don't know the dates of service.

A few hectares is a huge property fyi, enough to have a decent farm, but not a plantation.

Land reform program started in the 70's. GT was already in NY by 1972.

19. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

Sakadas

Would you have unit(s) he served with?

A decent farm is not exactly poor either. But my point was that Gaje's grandfather came from the established class, how landed and when, you're correct needs some research--remember he spoke Spanish, not too many people speak Spanish in the Philippines, you have to come from a certain class, he wasn't exactly a sakada.

What Marcos did in the 70s was next to nil. Mid-1990s and mid-2000s was when people with land actually had to do something, ie. divvy it up into smaller parcels, or sell it.

20. kalimutan

kalimutan Valued Member

As to the Spanish that Conrado Tortal spoke, I do not know. Remember also that they migrated from Panay. Speaking Spanish doesn't mean you're from an "established" class. My grandma from my father's side was from an established class, she was actually Spanish born in the Philippines, and yet she hardly spoke any Spanish. My grandmas family owned huge tracks of lands in the Cagayan region, they were Spanish land owners.

My mom's family were also from an established class even before the Spanish got there and they continued to be in upper class even during Spanish time. Some members of the family spoke Spanish others didn't. Speaking Spanish doesn't mean you belong to any "established" class.

You don't know if Conrado was or he wasn't a laborer. He wasn't an engineer or a doctor or a lawyer that's for sure. How he picked up Spanish, who knows... but he was a missionary for the church and traveled. So, perhaps he picked up Spanish from being involved with the church. A lot of Filipinos are really good at picking up different languages easily.

I didn't know that the measure of being in the "established" class was the ability to speak Spanish. I'm filipino and I don't speak Spanish, never learned it growing up. Old folks sometimes spoke Spanish, but to what level, I don't really know. Perhaps they were just broken Spanish and because we don't really know Spanish we don't really know the difference between broken and proper Spanish. It's easy to say... "he spoke Spanish." I say Como Esta (kamusta) was that Spanish or spaglog?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013