Pekiti Tirsia Kali announcement

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Tagapagbalita, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Mmm! *grabs popcorn and soda and sits back and waits* :)

2. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

Breaking Bad

LOL! It's like Mr. White and Jessie from "Breaking Bad".

3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Breaking who? ;)

4. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

Ozymandias by Percy Bysshe Shelley

Ozymandias

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3dpghfRBHE"]Ozymandias - As Read by Bryan Cranston: Breaking Bad - YouTube[/ame]

5. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

Stay tuned!!!

For all the pop-corn munching fans out there, here's some new developments to this drama:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Tim Waid and his camp will have a pow-wow this coming weekend,
    so I think we'll have to wait 'til then for the Tim Waid apologia.)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  6. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

PTK Twilight Saga

Just as many Twilight fans supported the various characters in that love triangle (Team Edward, Team Jacob & Team Bella),

I wanna be on record here as part of Team Waid, having listened to FMATalk's recent episode of the man.

The man left the Marine Corps, went back stateside, then decided to up and go, leaving everything, returning again to the Philippines to train with GT Gaje for 5 yrs--2.5 of those years living with the GT himself. If that's not dedication, I don't know what is.

In that FMATalk episode, Tim Waid mentioned Tom Bisio--wasn't he PNG'ed by the GT himself? I'm wondering now, because of the many episodes of PNG'ings in the past, that this all may just be an organizational issue, ie. horizontal vs. vertical hierarchy/cult of personality.

7. Pat OMalley

I get the feeling that once someone gets really good and can then interpret it for themselves and instinctively have their own personality embossed in what they do and how they teach. I get the feeling they are seen as a threat in that they have become too good if you know what I mean. I get the feeling when they look like they are getting to that stage they are ousted.

Buso, McGrath, Waid. All top notch FMA practitioners in their own right.

Well that's a I can see. Plus I guess money may be involved somewhere. It unbearably boils down to the greenback.

8. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

Amor Propio

That's a very good point, Pat.

I was just talking to a buddy about how this PTK fallout is a leadership issue, regardless of the details this should have been handled privately, followed maybe by an "amicable" banishment--like a public letter of resignation or just simply an announcement of a new separate organization.

But to start this public drama with an intentionally viraled internet letter, it's just unethical, period--maybe illegal.

Every FMA group is a dysfunctional family, whether corporate size or backyard small, there's a lot to be learned from this falling out. Like they say, learn from your mistakes, but even better is to learn from other people’s mistakes.

That announcement is at best farcical, at worst a bad parody of the Jedi Council, it's even become an internet meme, people are emailing templates of that letter to one another, "This action terminating the relationship of" this and that, him or her, even Luke Skywalker got the letter. It's funny.

To me, the main lesson here is the inaction of the PTK Tuhons. As you've stated there is a clear pattern of behaviour regarding these oustings, of late and in the past. The biggest part of being both a warrior and teacher is moral courage--a man who stands for nothing will fall for anything.

There's a lesson here for all of us, not just PTK.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  9. Pat OMalley

Your Jedi Council analogy is good but as the great wise Master Yoda clearly states. Sith's two there always are.

So I wonder what new apprentice the Sith Lord has coming up the ranks ? As Darth Maul and Darth Vader are now gone.

10. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

the Sith Lord

I'm sure you're right, Pat and Tim Waid's camp is blaming the new apprentice. But if I were one of those 10 or so Tuhons, based on a pattern of behaviour that spans more than 30 years, usually involving uncalled for, unprofessional, unnecessary public shaming, shouldn't all this be obvious, I'd speak up--"This is all bs, I'm outta here!" The system maybe 'complete' and 'authentic', but the source is flawed in the head. Sith Lord.

11. Pat OMalley

It's a great system I trained in it my self years ago but when the powers that be behave in such a fashion it's time to leave the nest and build your own way. After all if you've trained it long enough they can't un-teach you what you've learnt and if they behave in such a way which has been happening for 30 years its time to go it alone. At that stage of your training you only stay out of loyalty you don't actually need them. In fact it's the head of the group that needs the top people as it is them who makes him look good. After all we judge a group by the instructors it produces not by its leader.

12. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

New and Improved

So true, but looking at the pattern of behaviour, PTK usually then undermines the banished, by claiming the complete and authentic system has been updated, and that there's new "technology" or "methodology" in place. Which begs the question, if this system is 400 yrs old, why does it change so often?

13. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

Yeah, but PTK led with this first. It should've been handled privately, then the public shaming, not the other way around, which is what this looks like.

I just hope something positive comes out of this little fiasco. When Daniel Foronda Jr. was ousted, the FMA community got "the Bladed Hand", not only that, but many published counterpoints to PTK's historicizing and other bs narratives. There's more interaction between Luzon and Cebu based FMA groups now.

All thanks to Daniel Foronda, we can only hope Tim Waid's ousting would be as productive.

14. Pat OMalley

Exactly you can't update a complete system it is after all complete. That's like adding something to everything or taking away something from nothing.

15. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

Neo just waking-up from the Matrix

This should all be obvious, but it's not.

As outsiders we have the luxury of reason, but for those whose only exposure to FMA is PTK under GT Gaje and Tuhon Tim Waid, I can only begin to imagine the cognitive dissonance being felt throughout PTK right now--like Neo walking up from the Matrix, pulling all those slimy cords plugged into his body.

1. This fb screenshot is public, but there are more thoughts being expressed online that are less than favorable towards GT Gaje and a lot more critical of how this affair was handled:

[​IMG]

16. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

A block doesn't threaten the opponent if he doesn't do anything. A strike does.
    And I promise that this is my last word on the matter.

Furthermore, PTKGO is NOT the only source of authentic Pekiti-Tirsia Kali as taught by Grand Tuhon Gaje. Case in point: www.pekiti-tirsia.net

17. shootodog

shootodog restless native

This is an interesting response to the topic of Tim Waid being dismissed publicly and unceremoniously by the GT.

BTW, how is this related to the topic?

18. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It isn't, so Kagete, stick to the subject please.

19. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

NO Camouflage Pants Required

You need more exposure with other FMAs, especially those that don't make a big deal about "the blade", to understand that there is no such thing as a static block that doesn't threaten the opponent if he doesn't do anything. That's just ludicrous!

I'm sure all this misunderstanding is connected to and can be easily attributed to the whole "mother art", "authentic", "complete", "ancient" bs narrative.

Study a "non-blade" FMA, I assure you you'll see the error of the concept you wrote above. Remember the progenitors of those "non-blade" arts picked up Japanese officers' samurai swords in combat. Food for thought.

That's Tuhon Uli Weidle's site, he's in Germany. And I don't think Tuhon Tim Waid ever stated he was the ONLY authentic PTK in the states--although it could be interpreted as such.

I think it's you guys' penchant for this rampant use of "authentic", "complete", "ancient", "mother art", that's the source of all this silliness.

The quickest way to be an atheist (or agnostic) is to study two religions. You guys are getting caught up in your own propaganda, go check out other FMAs & take a break from the silliness.

20. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

Let me ask you this, Kagete, did Tuhon Uli Weidle live in Bacolod, trained continuously with GT Gaje in the Philippines for 5 yrs straight?

I'm sure the quality of the art varies, when you actually live, learn and party with the source for 5 yrs straight, maybe that's the "authentic" Tuhon Waid is hinting at--all PTK Tuhons are equal, some are just more equal than others.

I've never seen Tuhon Uli Weidle move, but Tuhon Tim Waid seems to actually know his craft, proving those 5 yrs make a big difference.