Peek a boo boxing

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by the artist, Feb 18, 2015.

1. the artist

the artist Valued Member

Hi guys
    I wanted to ask about the peek a boo style. I am thinking of trying to use it because I think it suits my style of fighting which is counterpunching and cause I am a small person. 165cm tall, 170cm reach and 68kg. So I was wondering:

1- can PAB be used in MMA?
    2- is it really suited for smaller fighters?
    3- with slipping I watched mike Tyson slipping and I think that he does not use his lower body (legs) when slipping and only moves his upper body to the sides but my friends think that he uses his lower body too. So how do u think he slips?
    4- for my height, weight and reach can you suggest any other fighting styles or fighters that style might suit my body? (Can be any style, does not have to be counterpunching)

Thanks

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Not effectively.
    It's suited for fighters with good head movement and good timing.
    I think you are not Mike Tyson and trying to emulate 20 year old Mike Tyson will get you knocked out.
    There are loads of short fighters (for their weight) in MMA - look at how they deal with reach disadvantages. But for a featherweight, you're about the right size.

3. the artist

the artist Valued Member

I am not trying emulate any body, I am just trying to figure out what style of fighting works for me the best based on my body shape OR based on some issues that I have. So I try to look for good fighters who have similar body or who had same issue as I have for example I have reach issues so I looked at fighters who had the same problem and looked at how they overcame it. In mike tyson"s case he was slipping to the inside, so I try slipping.

4. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I can't help but feel that if you are that height and weight, your striking in mixed martial arts would probably be best if clinch based.

5. holyheadjch

Why? He's average size or slightly taller than average for the weight classes he will likely be fighting in.

6. holyheadjch

He was slipping on the inside with huge gloves that let him cover up effectively.

If you're going to look for existing successful strategies, you should at least look within the sport you are hoping to compete in.

7. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

5'4" at featherweight? that's quite small.

8. the artist

the artist Valued Member

That is why I am asking you guys if you know any fighters or any fighting styles that might suit my body shape wether it is from boxing , kickboxing or MMA. Because even though boxing is different than MMA. I look at the style of boxers or kick boxers since there is kickboxing in MMA, and try to take their style of fighting and make it work in MMA. If a style does not work I leave it but many things I do from watching boxing in MMA has improved my skills.

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Honestly ask your coach he knows your game better than anyone, a variation of peek a boo has been used in MMA, called (crazy monkey) its similar in that you shield up and slip punches (or ride them on your arms) but it is mainly used to close the gap effectively by grapplers with minimal striking skills in amateur events although Rodney king teaches it as an effective way of striking as well as closing the gap, you don’t see many people outside of his gyms using it, so take that for whats its worth

10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

TJ Dillashaw, Frankie Edgar, Domnic Cruz are all small guys. Lots of movement is key!

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm no expert in MMA, but it seems to me that whether Tyson used his legs or no, you'd want to. His legs weren't targets. Yours will be.

12. holyheadjch

170cm reach is there or thereabouts. And depending on his body composition, he could get down to bantamweight.

13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You don't "pick" a style so much as develop one. You are far too inexperienced to be stressing about this tbh

14. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

What Hannibal said.

I used to try and emulate other fighters style. I did their work outs and tried their signature.moves etc. It turns out "my style" closer emulates my instructors, and often times someone at a tourney will ask if I Trained under x. Because I move like him etc.

Keep training. You will come into your own in time.

15. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Crazy Monkey was a very popular stance for a while during the early days. It got phased out as everyone's striking game evolved.

Stay in the gym, listen to your coach and keep sparring :)

16. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Perhaps, but that is an assumption i wasn't willing to make.

17. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Although he was a heavyweight, i think one of the best examples of a small guy doing well as a striker in MMA was Igor Vovchanchyn, who had a rather unusual style of counter striking, often while backpedaling.

http://fightsgoneby.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/striking-of-igor-vovchanchyn-part-1.html
    http://fightsgoneby.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/striking-of-igor-vovchanchyn-part-2.html
    http://fightsgoneby.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/igor-vovchanchyn-part-3-bear-slaps-and.html

I don't think trying to emulate his style is the wisest thing to do, as he was rather undeveloped by today's standards, but hopefully you'll get a few good ideas on how to be an effective striker with a significant height disadvantage (as Vovchanchyn was about 5'8" with a 5'8" reach, but fought at around 235lb)

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

He also had concrete fists!

My wifes fave MMA fighter ever too

19. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

True, but even despite that, he won punching exchanges on the regular, so if you lacked the power, you could opt to building your cardio to a point where you can hopefully light a guy up for 3 rounds as he chases you.

20. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

When I was striking, I used CM as a way of getting used to being hit and just learning how to spar.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015