Paul Taylor Ussd

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by flyingleopard, Aug 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

Howdy!

I have many, many pages I could copy and paste where Grandmaster Kuoha has answered these questions but I bet he will appear on here soon enough to answer you.

Do any of you know who Dr. Ronald Perry is? He was professor Chow's closest friend, advisor, and physician for MANY years. Grandmaster Kuoha is going to Hawaii next month and interviewing him for a DVD that is designed to answer these questions, and others.

It does seem that even when Grandmaster Kuoha comes on these forums and answers all this stuff, it quickly crops up again, usually in rumor form.

Here is what I believe to be the key to all this stuff:

What Bill Chun Sr. learned and taught was very different from what Professor was creating and teaching in the 70's and 80's until his death in 1987. A huge portion of our system's techniques are based on the 6-10 and 11-15 sets. These were designed well after Chun had been out of touch with Professor and they are based on multiple assailants defense and are not learned until one is going from Nidan to Sandan (Not many in Kara-Ho).

Between the documents from Dr. Perry and Patsy Chow stating Grandmaster was the true and only heir to the Kara-Ho system, to the audio tapes of Professor (which I have personally heard) that state this same fact, as well as other VERY damaging comments from Professor about other kenpo big names, I just don't know what else to say.

I am always asking Grandmaster to come on here to shed some light on these issues but I will not continue as it seems to not make a difference to some of you.

Go to a Chun seminar, then come to one of our black belt classes and we can demonstrate some 6-10's. You will notice a big difference in the movements and emphasis in technique, not better or worse, but different. They teach early Kara-Ho from when Professor just broke away from Mitose, we have what professor innovated through all the years after Chun left- MUCH changed during the 70's and 80's, again not better but definitely different!

Can anyone of you verify if you have seen any of our criteria from above Nidan? If you have/do you will see Professor Chow's innovations in the later years, this would also illustrate how professor Chow was sharp as hell until the very end. These techniques are pure vital point street defense-- (I think Grandmaster Kuoha even has napkins from a Chinese restaurant, where Professor Chow would impromptu design these multiple attacker scenarios)

On the rare occasion that someone posts on here (who is not active Kara-Ho) it is usually someone who never made Shodan as a student or a transfer black belt who never made probation (Learning white to BB criteria) so even these individuals have not seen or felt these techniques.

Is it possible that some of you want to believe that Chun has the "complete and pure Kara-Ho" because your lineage comes through those early lines in the 50's and 60's? I might feel that way too, had I come from one of those branches.

Professor was a major innovator, obviously- To think what he taught in the 50's and 60's would be the same as what he taught without change up until 1987 is just silly in my opinion.

Dunno if this helped but I feel better :D

Last edited: May 28, 2006
  2. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Thanks for posting the reply. I was told last week that what you are saying is true. The person that told me this knows GM Kuoha and said he is the real deal and that it was like those that trained with Ed Parker at different times in his life. Though all were under Ed Parker, Chuck Sullivan looks different than Tracy who looks different than Planas who looks different than Chapel who looks different than Tatum etc. etc. It largely depends on when they trained with him. All are different, yet all are legitimate Parker students. The same can be said of Kajukenbo and Sijo Emperado there are various methods that were developed at different times in his life and all are legitimate though not the same.

So what you're saying makes perfect sense. Also, as I stated above, I am not in any way trying to cast aspersions on anyone here, just trying to get answers first hand. If GM Kuoha has answered these questions elsewhere, I'd be interested to know where I could find them. I am also looking forward to his dvd. I DO hope that he will continue to post on these forums as first hand info is all too valuable to the Kempo history. Thanks again.

Dan Weston

3. kickingfist

kickingfist New Member

And thats why when grandmaster fred villari takes over USSD all the ditrict manager will be replaced.
    This is probably why mattera has to sell out to villari?

"dont let morons run your schools"

4. fightingninja2

fightingninja2 New Member

:D To funny!!!!

5. KGS BBS

KGS BBS Valued Member

WILLIAM CHOW: The Lost Interview
    by Jim Perkins

In 1986 I spent five months in Honolulu. One reason I moved there was I hoped it would give me an opportunity to meet professor William “Thunderbolt” Chow. I’d trained in the Alo system of Hawaiian kenpo (the late Ron Alo was a second-degree black belt under Chow), and having heard many stories about the man behind “Chinese kempo of kara-ho karate,” I was excited about the prospect of meeting him.

Before I knew it, there I was at the church fellowship hall where he taught, handing him a letter of introduction from Alo. The professor was short yet thick and strong despite having had a serious gallbladder operation a few years earlier. His fingers were as big around as my wrist. When he finished, he tossed the letter onto a table and growled, “Yes, I know Alo—and I no like him!”

With that, he pounded the table a few times, and it nearly collapsed from the beating. I tried to calm him down, but he walked away and began teaching. Only two students were in the class: Walter, a yellow belt, and Jacob, a black belt who wore a kung fu uniform. A few visitors in street clothes tried to persuade me to leave with some rough language and chair kicking, but I refused and stayed to watch the class for the next three hours.

At the end of the night, everyone left without even glancing my way. I went home disappointed and called my teacher. He thought it was amusing that they had threatened me. I asked: “Why are you laughing? He hates you, too.”

Alo laughed even harder and told me to go to the next class. Against my better judgment, I returned two days later and was greeted in a different manner. They were all shocked to see me, especially Chow. It hadn’t been an act; he truly didn’t want outsiders from the mainland exploiting the art he taught. However, because I did come back, they believed I wasn’t as much of a “howlie” (Hawaiian slang for white person, meaning “toilet paper”) as they had thought.

At first, it was difficult to speak with Chow because he seemed so mean and ornery. However, my thirst for martial arts knowledge and history drove me to pester him with hundreds of questions, many of which he would ignore, smile or just shrug off.

Chow finally saw the sincerity with which I had asked about his life and his art. One evening, he showed up at class with two grocery bags full of photographs—his photo albums, I guess. He started pulling out old pictures and telling me about them. He had snapshots of everyone from James Mitose and Adriano Emperado to Ed Parker and Nick Cerio.

That night, the conversation was more like an interview. I wrote down all I could remember as soon as I got home. The following is the transcript of that lost interview from 1986. Keep in mind that Chow was a very emotional person who held grudges—some deserved and others probably not. He was a true character with a one-of-a-kind personality. The things he said reflected how he felt at that moment, but they may not always have been an accurate representation of his true feelings.
    —J.P.

Black Belt: Professor ... how did you get the title of “professor”? What exactly does it mean?
    William Chow: (a little disgusted) It means I am the professor. What do you think it means? I am professor Chow!

BB: Well, I mean I don’t understand how to get that title. How would I get to be a professor?
    Chow: (very disgusted) Oh, you wanna be a professor, eh?

BB: No, I was just wondering.
    Chow: You want to be a professor? Good. All you have to do is start calling yourself professor Perkins, OK? You a professor now. Tomorrow, professor Emperado is going to visit you, though. You know ... visit. Then tomorrow, if you still around, I will visit you, and that will be a bad thing!

BB: No, I don’t want that. On your flier it reads, “Professor William Chow, 15th-degree black belt, Chinese Kara-Ho Kempo Kung Fu.” So you’re a 15th degree?
    Chow: Yes.

BB: Well, I know you’re the head of the system and all, but I didn’t know there were 15 degrees.
    Chow: What’s the most you heard of?

BB: I’ve heard that 10th degree is the highest.
    Chow: Right. So if everyone else is 10th degree, the professor is 15th.

BB: Oh, I see. OK. Do you have any pictures of Mitose in there?
    Chow: (digs for a minute and pulls out a bundle of black-and-white photos, then hands me one showing a big Japanese man in a white gi and a black belt) See this man? Big guy, huh?

BB: Yeah. Is that Mitose?
    Chow: No, no. Mitose little. That his bodyguard. Big man. Judo champion of all Japan.

BB: Hmm. He looks mean.
    Chow: (proudly) Yes. I knock him out in 20 seconds!

BB: Oh. Uh ... cool.
    Chow: See this one? (hands me another picture of a large Japanese man) Another bodyguard. I knock him out in 30 seconds. He think he tough, but he not tough.

BB: Hmm.
    Chow: Here is Mitose. (hands me a picture of Mitose and the previous bodyguard, then half a dozen more of Mitose with Chow, Emperado and others)

BB: Wow. These are incredible! So you got your black belt from Mitose?
    Chow: (upset) No! My father my teacher, not Mitose! Mitose a con man. He use me to make himself famous. He show me, I show him, that’s it!

BB: Really?
    Chow: Yes. Mitose talk good, that’s all. He set up demonstrations all over Hawaii. He talk, and I show!

BB: Really? What kind of demonstrations?
    Chow: Oh, he break baseball bat over my shin.

BB: Oh, man! How did you do that?
    Chow: That’s nothing! It’s a trick.

BB: It was fake?
    Chow: No, it’s real, but it’s not kara-ho. It’s just a trick.

BB: Did you ever break a bat over Mitose’s shin?
    Chow: Ha! No. It would kill him. Mitose think he’s very good, but that’s why he have bodyguards. He afraid to get beat up. He have a lot of people who wanted to beat him up. That’s why he went to prison. A con man.

BB: Wow.
    Chow: (pulls out another old photograph of himself and Ed Parker) You know who this guy is?

BB: Yeah, Ed Parker.
    Chow: (upset that I recognized him) Yes, that right. Parker big shot on the mainland, right?

BB: Oh, yeah. Everyone knows him. They call him the Father of American Karate.
    Chow: Well, I tell you something, and you remember this: Elvis Presley is the King of Rock ’n’ Roll; and Bruce Lee, he the King of Kung Fu, yeah?

BB: I guess.
    Chow: (loud and clear) Ed Parker think he the King of Kenpo, but he wrong! There is no King of Kenpo. There is only the professor!

BB: Yes, of course. But I don’t think he thinks he’s the king.
    Chow: Yes, he does.

BB: But he’s one of your black belts.
    Chow: No, he’s not! He tell people that to make himself look big. Everyone says they black belt under the professor just to make money.

BB: So he didn’t train under you?
    Chow: He trained under me, but he only make it to purple belt. He work more with professor Emperado than me. Go talk to him.

BB: When you retire, is there someone you want to take over your system?
    Chow: Yes. There is only one man who know all of kara-ho system: Jacob. (points to his 29-year-old black belt)

BB: What rank is he now?
    Chow: He’s the only one who know everything and is best teacher ever, but he doesn’t want any rank from me. He refuses. He been my student since 5 years old. I told him he has to take over, but he says no. He only learn because he loves me, doesn’t want any rank.

BB: Then how about me, Professor?
    Chow: (trying not to smile) No.

BB: When I go back to the mainland in a few months, who can I go to to learn true kara-ho?
    Chow: You go see Nick Cerio. He my black belt and teach you kara-ho. I’ll call him for you.

BB: OK. I guess Alo doesn’t teach true kara-ho. He’s kind of changed to his own style. Is that why you don’t like him?
    Chow: What? I like Alo! He needs to come see me more. You tell him.

Photo 1: William Chow, circa 1984
    Photo 2: Chow with Ron Alo in 1982

About the author: Jim Perkins is a Nixa, Missouri-based free-lance writer and a sixth-degree black belt in keokin kenpo.

6. kickingfist

kickingfist New Member

Cool interview but isnt this thread about paul taylor?

7. natkungfu

natkungfu Valued Member

He got to pass all the villari masters and run ussd with mattera the greedy little monkey.

He was only a 2nd or 3rd dan when he left with mattera and ussd.

8. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

He was actually a 4th but rapidly jumped to 5th.

9. shaolinmonkmark

shaolinmonkmark Valued Member

i find this funny!

Quote from above:

BB: Then how about me, Professor?
    Chow: (trying not to smile) No.

BB: When I go back to the mainland in a few months, who can I go to to learn true kara-ho?
    Chow: You go see Nick Cerio. He my black belt and teach you kara-ho. I’ll call him for you.

The style i still learn today, NOT FROM USSD!!!

Glad to hear he was talking about Cerio.

10. Gufbal1981

Yeah Baby!

11. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

It was Nick Cerio and Master William Chun Sr. who together, and do either of them then, or the new and improved group believe!...No I don't think so.

Gary

12. Gufbal1981

HUH? I am not following you here...

13. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Combination of post on Danjo 62nd

14. Gufbal1981

And what did that have to do what I was commenting on?

15. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Well, I guess I should have not, hit the quote button :saz:

Sorry

I was just commenting, get a grip.

Gary

16. Gufbal1981

I'm sorry...maybe you shouldn't have quoted me. Maybe you should have quoted Danjo...it would have led to less confusion on my mind. Maybe you should get a grip...

17. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

awwww. Give the old bugger a break. The interwabs are a scary place for our seniors. As are microwaves, remote controls, and running water. :Angel:

and as a side note: The emotocon selection on this board BLOWS! I really wanted to put Bam Bam Bigalo at the end of this post!

18. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

LOL, no I just need, to not use my finger, on the mouse. Click click.

19. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Computers, you forgot, the mouse!

20. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

Nah. Your generation had mice. Except they carried the Black Plague.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.