Patterns?

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by JiuJitsunOOb, May 12, 2013.

1. JiuJitsunOOb

JiuJitsunOOb New Member

Hey Everyone

New here. I have a quick question. I just started jiu jitsu and went to my first class last week.

In Taekwondo they have patterns and it seems like they have something simialr in Jiu Jitsu. Where you go from right hand to left waist up to make a fist, left hand from left ear to make a fist in front, then step forwards ect ect ect hard to explain but I know the sequence.

What is this called been trying to look online to nail the sequence but not sure what this is called I'm using youtube and ultimatejiujitsu dot com or whatever it is to get the sequence but can't find it there either.

Someone please help

thanks

2. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Sounds like a Knee BAAAA

Are you sure this is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu that you are learning from YouTube?

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  3. righty

righty Valued Member

You won't find much on BJJ drills on youtube. Well the issue you will find is that there are plenty out there and each club will use it's own drills.

Just go to class (lots of them) and forget about youtube for now as it's more likely to confuse you as a beginner rather than benefit you.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

That doesnt sound like a brazilian JJ kata, whats your new school called?

5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

BJJ Kata by Jason Scully

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXjP50SOwK4&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXjP50SOwK4&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

but seriously, what BJJ school you at?

6. JiuJitsunOOb

JiuJitsunOOb New Member

Yes they're called Kata I study Traditional Street Japanese Jiu Jitsu.

The club has their own Youtube videos of the whitebelt syllabus.

The kata although probably "not important" I want to demonstrate I'm serious to the club. I'm practicing my kata daily and a few techniques daily. Although I have no one to practice with I just really think about techniques so when I'm at my session I can demonstrate that I've been practicing and hopefully progress.

Edit: The reason I mention "Street" at the top was cos I found a great Youtube video talking about the difference between "sport" and "street" Jiu Jitsu so I asked my sensi which one do we do. The video (I'm unsure if I can link to it) comes from the Gracie Academy over in America. The two guys demonstrate and discuss the differences between sport and street and to be honest. The sport although great for competitions probably wouldn't help me in real life suitations.

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  7. mattt

mattt Valued Member

This is the Brazillian JiuJitsu forum, it is a very different art. Totally unsuitable for the street.

You can certain strive to self study, but I would suggest you relax into it. Taking something from class once you have a grasp of it and practicing rather than hoping to shortcut via online help.

Online might help more a little further down the line.

Keep going to class, be polite, pay attention and try to empty your cup so you are able to absorb as much as possible is a great way to show you are serious.

8. JiuJitsunOOb

JiuJitsunOOb New Member

Okay. I'm sorry about the wrong forum should it be "Jiu Jitsu" forum I post in?

9. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Jiujitsunoob, I think one of the difficulties you're having is that there is more than just street and sport jiujitsu. There's also brazilian and japanese jiu jitsu. Japanese jiu jitsu is traditional street jiu jitsu that morphed into brazilian sport jiu jitsu, that then morphed into gracie traditional brazialian jiu jitsu (for the street, yo) and also sport brazilian jiu jitsu, and also there's japanese sport jiu jitsu that is not traditional but also useful for the street. I hope that makes everything clear.

10. JiuJitsunOOb

JiuJitsunOOb New Member

Now I feel like I'm back at square one :bang:

I think I'm comfortable at street traditional as long as I can enjoy myself, have fun and learn and defend myself in a real life situation. I think I'm cool.

I've tried avoiding mcdojos and clubs that are only interested in winning trophies.

11. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Maybe, but honestly your Jitz sounds like some guy made it up recently, so help with patterns will be tough since other people might not know what he has decided to invent.

12. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Send us the URL for a quick witch hunt if you want it checked.

13. JiuJitsunOOb

JiuJitsunOOb New Member

the url of the club?

To be honest the website has no information on it to be honest. but doing my investigations asking questions, observing the sensi's attitudes comparing it to my friends dojo.

Lets put it like this, one of the instructors had his grip on me the wrong way the other sensi (the head of hte club) came running up told the sensi off and told him to do it properly. Just by that I can see the head sensi takes it very seriously.

Compare that to my friends dojo he is black belt within 1.5 years.

I know in Brazilian to be black belt takes years (from wikipedia Brazilian jiu jitsu belt system) I know it is all to do with personal progress ect but 1.5 years sounds like profanity removed all time!?!??! Excuse the language.

MAP has a no swearing policy. Please watch the language.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2013
  14. philosoraptor

Nothing wrong with winning trophies, sign of doing well in a sport. Sport training is pretty awesome for allowing you to practice your techniques, full speed, against an opponent who is trying to practice them on you. Personally, I've enjoyed my time training 'sport' jiu jitsu, and was better able to defend myself while I trained at a competition oriented gym.

15. JiuJitsunOOb

JiuJitsunOOb New Member

Hmm so many conflicting opinions online it is hard to know what is best.

16. philosoraptor

It's mine. My opinion is the best. No, for real. Wait, where is everyone going?

17. mattt

mattt Valued Member

If you are happy that is all that matters. Personally, the school sounds a bit iffy to me, but I like my Japanese Jujutsu to have proper lineage.

Rank is a hard one to judge on, in Japan you can get Blackbelt in a year. In some schools overseas you have to wait years, but that doesn't mean you aren't learning crap.

You seem serious about wanting to train right, be aware that you might or might not be in the right place for that. I say this as whilst there are lots of nice people teaching in clubs that sound like yours, they aren't always the best examples of the art.

The big red flag for me is that it is traditional 'street' jujutsu - the word street doesn't fit into jujutsu (though the concepts do) and my concern would be that someone learned some jujutsu to a low level, couldn't master it and decided it was flawed and set up his own school to address the flaws in that system.

Thing is there probably weren't any flaws in that system, just that he didn't invest the time/acquire the necessary skill/have the ability/etc to get good.

That is most often the case with new traditional street ready jujutsu.

18. mattt

mattt Valued Member

You can just listen, and take it into account and keep figuring it out til you find what is right for you.

For perspective, I lived in and trained in Japan with Japanese teachers, and also train in sports based Jiujitsu (the Brazilian version) my opinion, which is way better than Philosoraptors is that both done well are excellent, both done poorly are terrible.

And unfortunately there is more crap in the westernized Japanese Jitz than in the Brazilian Japanese Jitz. Its a long story as to why, but boils down to competition keeping ranks more honest, VS some chap who makes up his arts, buys sokeship, declares them too dangerous to test and then perpetuates his nonsense to new students, both in person, online, and via telephone lessons.

19. JiuJitsunOOb

JiuJitsunOOb New Member

For me I'm not about rank or belt. Again, just learning. But that is interesting to know. PS; did you get my pm?

Okay I should probably clear this up. After watching this [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e864iZ4sB8Q"]video[/ame];

PS; I posted the link. If I get told off, I get told off.

After watching this I facebooked the sensi and asked directly "One quick question I was going to ask you tomorrow cos it was late. Is this jiu jitsu sport or street jiu jitsu" he said out of the two defiantly street, traditional Japanese self defence.

So perhaps he was not saying it is street perhaps he was just saying out of the two.

20. mattt

mattt Valued Member

You won't get told off for posting a link, it helps, normally... though I am not sure what you are saying by posting that link.

That is Brazilian Jiujitsu guys talking about a more self defense version of their art, it is different again from what I would call good Japanese Jitz, it is closer to the hybrid stuff that I would be wary of.

I haven't tried Combatives and its probably a better example of that neo-traditional jitz than many out there, simply because the teachers have solid training in their primary art, which I do value. They have a sense of realism from that, despite the irony that a contrived rules based sport shouldn't be realistic, the level of intensity is very good.

So yeah, if you are training with the Gracies in combatives then you are probably doing OK - but I don't think you are.

Lineage is key, what is your Instructors Lineage and Resume/CV for training?