patellofemoral syndrome...HELP!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Moi, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

A friend of mine has been diagnosed with this and can no longer run. Anything that can be done in any way either short or long term that might help?
    Any help will be much appreciated :)

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

obvious link is obvious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patellofemoral_pain_syndrome

3. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Is this the same thing as housemaids knee?

I had it about 15+ years ago, got some physio and home exercises to do, about the only time I've had any NHS treatment for a work/sports related injury. Usually they just don't care/postcode lottery

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

That's why I thought I'd try here. Damage from running in this instance.

5. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

The main issue is the instability of the patella and its relationship to the femur.

Short term: I would recommend not running, put a brace on it, and use ice and heat as I hope your friend's doctor already instructed.

Mid term: Once the initial pain is reduced to a tolerable level, your friend should start stabilization exercises. These are fairly simple exercises but they must all be performed or your friend will cause more harm than good. The idea here is to exercise, separately, each of the four main directions that the leg can move: flexion (of the HIP, not the knee), extension, adduction (move toward the middle of the body), and abduction (move away from the middle of the body). These need to be done SLOWLY, with a focus on proper form in order to retrain the muscles to stabilize the area. You will also need to do some gentle flexion/extension of the knee itself, but the hip exercises (with the knee straight!) will work the main muscles that stabilize the knee joint.

I could go into more detail, but that would put me at risk of establishing a doctor-patient relationship. The information I have provided in this post should be more than enough for any competent physiotherapist or sports trainer to be able to show you the exact exercises needed.

This is a long, slow process because tendons and other connective tissues do not have as much of a blood supply as muscles, and there may have been damage to the tendons or other connective tissues in the joints involved.

Contact me via PM if you need more information.