Passing closed guard whilst protecting the face

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Dunc, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Hi

I'm trying to join the dots between my BJJ and TMA training & wondered if any of you guys could help me with something that I'm stuck on

A lot of the time when passing the closed guard I find myself exposed to punches & kicks or I put my face in easy grabbing distance of my partners' hands. (In TMA letting your opponent reach your face, ears, throat etc is a big no-no)

This is particularly the case as I transition to side control for example

A lot of the MMA passes fit the bill in terms of safety, but I can't make them work so well with a gi

So I'm trying to find 2-3 reliable options that work for both a gi & a no-gi situation whilst keeping me safe from an opponent who's not playing by the rules

The standing passes seem to fit the bill pretty well and there are a few transitions that keep your face away from his hands. However, I find that with bigger opponents & a gi the risk of getting tangled and swept is quite high so I'm trying to find a couple of alternatives...

I've been working on my non-standing passes, but I find that I consistently expose my face to their hands in the transition after opening the guard

Any ideas?

Thanks loads

2. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

The answer is to improve your standing passes, since they're the ones that generally work on decent opposition big and small.

Lots of times the actual attempt to reach face-wards would expose them to obvious counters, so I think you're setting an unreasonably high bar by avoiding positions where they might even attempt it. If I'm mounted low, an opponent could reach up and try to gouge my eyes. But if he did, I'd break his arm, so it's not a good reason to avoid low mount.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

In MMA we use a good one. You pin your opponents wrist to his opposite hip, the other hand holds the elbow. From there, you can hit and elbow, and of course, standing pass.

4. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Can I just ask, are you controlling the wrist/sleeve when rolling? Hannibal posted this great clip when I asked a not dissimilar question earlier this week:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxLHBaDgyu0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxLHBaDgyu0[/ame]

5. Dunc

Most of those look tight

I'll try with a gi - thanks

6. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I'd say if you are controlling the legs that you shouldn't worry about upkicks and that most of the time punches arent a threat as its hard to generate power at the angle they'll be hitting from and from being on their back. Any extension of the hands toward the face can usually be delt with by either pressing the arm away with your own head or positioning the head to mitigate against it ie burying into the far side neck/shoulder space or transitioning through kesa, reverse kesa and side control options.

Generally if people are sticking their arms out you can catch a shoulder or arm lock such as a kimura or straight armbar.

Elbow strikes would be more of a concern and you'd have to just eat them until you've established position and can exact revenge IMO.

Perhaps if you told us exactly how you are passing and where you feel vulnerable people could give options?

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

How "outside the rules" are you looking at? I have a standing based pass that involves headbutts and nutshots that I teach in my Apprentice Instructor curriculum

8. Knee Rider

Why am I not surprised? :p

9. Dunc

That would be great to see!

10. Hannibal

I will film an example tonight....there may be an example online from Vu in the meantime so hang on a sec......

11. Dunc

Hi

My go to methods for opening the guard are:
    - Control sleeve, stand to both feet, open his guard by pushing one leg off your hip
    - From kneeling, one hand controls his chest, step back & out with one leg and pop his legs open with your butt & free hand

Both work well for my purposes to open the guard, but it's the transitions to a dominant position that I'm having problems with (well other than sometimes getting swept with the standing passes)
    As you say punches from below aren't much of a problem if you have posture & kicks are relatively straightforward to control I find

Some people think of face attacks as requiring a straight arm and I agree if attacked in this way it's not a big issue

However, generally speaking if someone can elbow your head then they can also strike your ears or grip your face/neck (e.g. by reaching around your head). Both of which are problematic and quite difficult to defend against if the opponent knows what they are doing &/or has a strong grip

I find that I'm exposed to these kind of things quite a lot when moving into side control from my guard passes

Hope that makes sense?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  12. Knee Rider

Nice one Dunc, yes it makes sense. I actually use both those passes myself.

Where is your head when you feel exposed?

Re elbows: I think the elbows come more into play as they are percussive blows and come in and out quickly and sharply where as anything that requires a grap or pull such as a gouge to the face allows for a tactile response.

13. PointyShinyBurn

Are you worried about the hand on the far side of him when settling into side control? Any attempt to reach for your face there should be met with an immediate Americana/paintbrush like in the
    infamous John Marsh challenge match:
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW4vKszHhtY"]John vs. Kung Fu - YouTube[/ame]
    Still not completely clear which passes you're going for after you've opened the guard?

14. Dunc

Hi

Sorry I need to explain better
    It's these kind of positions that I'm trying to avoid

Attached Files:

15. PointyShinyBurn

The first one is completely fine, there's no way he can reach your face to do damage there in any way you can't take for the couple of seconds it's going to take to pass his guard. If you used double unders to get there, that might have been a bit unsafe.

The second one I would avoid, but more because of shots to the back of the head.

Not sure which hand you're worried about in the third one? The near hand is controlled by your body and any attempt to face-grab with the far hand is, as I said above, Americana bait.

P.S. I think you need to work this stuff live a bit rather than imagining where you might be vulnerable. Grabbing the face by reaching round and striking the ears are legal in MMA, so you should find someone willing to spar them with you.

16. Hannibal

Cannot find the clip...I will try and record one tonight

17. Dunc

Hi

I've sparred with these things albeit lightly, and the images are not the best examples (just found a few from a quick google search)

The 1st one is problematic because of the risk from a slap to the ear
    2nd one is neck shots & face/jaw grips
    3rd is a face full of fingers from his right hand & potentially a fish hook from the left

These things are not necessarily finishers (although they can be), but in my experience they do stop you applying pressure/closing down the space for long enough for the guy on the ground to counter

Hope that makes sense

18. PointyShinyBurn

Ear slaps do suck, but you're overstressed about them here. There's no way he can possibly target you with any power and it's pretty unlikely he can even reach,
    Yeah, I agree it's not a great position if striking is legal. Which kind of face grips are you worried about, though? Grabbing the chin is completely legal in all the grappling sports where you'll see that kind of position.
    You scrunch your face for a moment and then Americana him. He'll trade a half-second eye gouge attempt for a broken arm.
    Absolutely no way, you can trivially easily turn your head away even if he can reach and he's deepening your control on the arm leading to free GnP, near side armbars, neck cranks and sundry other unpleasantness.

19. Dunc

Maybe I'm over stressing about these things, but I have had them all done on me and, like most things if done correctly they do have an effect

Ear slaps really don't need much force, they do need a bit of space and freedom of movement, but they are really quick
    The jaw grips are really a problem when used as a fulcrum to drive the thumbs in. Again not a panacea, but in my experience, it stops me moving through in the way that I'd like
    It's not so much the gouging per se, strikes with the palm and fingers to the face don't need to be powerful to create some space

Either way, and rightly or wrongly, I'm trying to build a game that's effective whilst avoiding these kind of techniques

20. Knee Rider

I agree with the other comments so don't have too much to add other than to say: if you are keen to totally avoid those situations then I would recommend developing your half guard game from top. It's an excellent position for MMA in my opinion for controlling and GnPing from and also has a couple of very effective passes which leave almost zero potential opening for the sort of facegrabby slappy stuff you are fretting about.

I recommend developing half guard top control and practicing both the underhook knee slice pass and the far shoulder control pass (reverse kesa). If you can get someone to train with 7oz gloves too then even better!

Might slot into your game or might not (personally I live working from half guard in both nogi and MMA) but if not it'll still be a common position to find yourself in and you'll have potentially better/more fluent answers :)

Edit - obviously I mean you should seek half guard rather than the full pass. It's beyond easy to slot into half guard top once you have the guard open and one leg pinned to the mat.