Parking ticket

Discussion in 'Celebrations!' started by Aegis, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I should be less proud of this fact, but I got off a parking ticket that's been hanging over me for several months today. Stubbornness and the ability to find really bizarre parking laws really works in the long run.

I got an apology and everything.

Of course, the best part of all this is that now I can park in that same spot whenever I like and any tickets they give me will be automatically null and void. Sweet!

2. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

LMAO!

nice one!

3. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Did these "obscure parking laws" involve beating the crap out of the traffic warden, by any chance? :D

4. Aegis

Nope, just pointing out that in the legal sense the councils are not allow to charge you for violating lines/bays that don't comply with the various Road Traffic Acts (and associated documents) according to an obscure court case from a few years back.

The interesting thing is that any non-compliance invalidates the tickets, even if you can still make out the intention of the lines.

5. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

I don't understand, but YAAAAHHH!! I hate parking wardens!! :)

6. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Did that in Leeds a few years ago, the council correctly repainted the lines a week later. I accused the chief constable of West Yorkshire of obtaining money by disception, cc.ing my MP and the MP for the area. That always seems to help.

7. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Tut tut. In my opinion you should like use proper designated parking bays and car parks and pay what, I'm sure you'll all agree, are very reasonable rates... ;)

8. Aegis

There's no payment needed for the area, and the "bays" are so faded that they're literally impossible to see unless someone points out what they're supposed to be. In addition, the end is purely arbitrary: no further blocking of the pavement occurs for parking there, nor does it get in the way of cars. The really stupid thing is that it is legal to park OFF the pavement in exactly the same spot as where I was given a ticket for parking ON the pavement, so impeding traffic is apparently what they want you to do... ;)

9. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

My dad demolished a dangerous wall as a Civil Engineer with Glasgow council, he then parked for several days on the single line next to it as the parking restrictions sign had been removed along with the wall and returned to the department who enforced parking restrictions. When he got a ticket he chalenged it immediately and pointed out he had a reciept for the reeturn of the sign and no replacement had been made.

10. Chimpcheng

That's the same thing here, you'll get a ticket if you park with your wheels on the pavement but it's okay if you park on the road blocking traffic... :confused:

Also, get this, my friends wife dropped him off at work and was only away from her car for 5 minutes when a traffic warden pounced like a ninja and took a picture of her car. Fortunately, before he could go further, someone stopped to ask him for directions, to which she promptly got in her car, drove 2 foot and parked on some double yellows. The traffic warden was unable to do anything.

Now when I quizzed her on this (I always thought parking on double yellows was a no no) she said that only certain traffic wardens can ticket you for parking in a bay and only certain ones can get you for parking on double yellows.

Ahhhh, all the fun of the fair... :D

11. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Correct town and county (or contract wardens/parking wardens ) do bays and police/court appointed traffic wardens do double yellows, urban clearways, etc.. thye can even direct traffic but I haven't seen one do it since I was a boy.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  12. xen

xen insanity by design

that has got to rank as one of the most stupid examples of brainless beauracracy i've come accross.

clearly they have to divide responsibility to avoid over-taxing the average traffic wardens cognitive prowess

:D

13. Chimpcheng

You tell the difference between the wardens thanks to the colour stripe they have on their caps. I wasn't really listening as I was busy still being astounded by the cheek of my mate's wife driving off from the warden as he was distracting and parking on double yellows mere feet away...

14. Aegis

Technically speaking if you drive away before they give you the ticket or put it on your car, you get off scot free. They might try to send it to you through the post, but the act of driving away before they complete the ticket issuing process actually invalidates it, and the burden of proof lies on them to demonstrate that they did it correctly.

Laws can be fun sometimes :D

15. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

The service engineers in my company all park on yellow lines as there are far fewer traffic wardens than there are wardens of the council/private companys.

16. Chimpcheng

When I take the car out into Newcastle on a Saturday I park in a manned car park which charges only £3.50 for the whole day (whole day being about 12 hours), the same will cost you big bucks in an NCP one. So not a bad deal at all.

On a Sunday I park on single yellow lines round the back of my Si Fu’s restaurant for free gratis. However, if I park on the same single yellow lines on any other day I face a ticket… Outrageous!!!

17. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

at youngatown state university they have little trolls that there only job is to walk around the parking areas and give out tickets for line violations and for not"properly" displaying your pass. if your pass is on your dash and not hanging these weiners will ticket you.granted they sell passes to every student ,but there is'nt enough parking spaces for all students, so it's like feeding time at the zoo trying to actually find a spot let alone worry if your an inch on a line. done with rant sorry :eek:

18. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I hate traffic wardens
    I especially hate the ones where my parents live - cranky retired people with nothing better to do than boss people around. Last time I went to visit, my friend and I went to do some shopping and one of these old gits gave me grief over parking TOO CLOSE to the kerb
    I imagine much parking fun will be had when I move back there