Parents against Kickboxing!

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by chevelle2291, Jul 25, 2005.

1. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

reply..

Believe it or not, soccer was considered more dangerous than even boxing, which is said to be worse than kickboxing. More head trauma resulted from head butting the balls then from being actually hit repeatdly in the head. I will see if i can find the link to that study again. Now there are, various types of kickboxing, may i add. Firstly, there are forms where you wear gear and dont. I suggest wearing the gear at first, as it really is a pain(literally) when you dont and could cause some pretty bad injuires. After you get more advanced, and your coaches agree to it, then thats up to them and you if you want to conitune to wear it or not. With kickboxing, American kickboxing, anyway, you can expect to experience bloody noses, sprained wrist, broken hands, broken legs, broken feet, or any combintation of these listed, plus many more. And above all, exhaustion is a key factor, endurance is a must have, that is built up. Although, there is also the non-competitive factor which you may choose to follow.

2. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

Fortunately for me, i have both a car and money so if they don't like it i can say SCREW YOU!!!

3. Mufty

Mufty New Member

My advice is keep up the Shaolin Kung Fu sounds like you got a good teacher.

'Sparring is like Cheese'

Addictive too much is bad for you.

4. Enough money to buy a house when they chuck you out? lol

5. Bograt

Bograt Banned Banned

Thanks for pointing that out Norm hope you enjoyed your visit to your nans?

But believe me the amount of students at my club who miss training due to a football injury is so unbelievable.

6. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

LOL!!! NOT YET!!! But as long as i'm spending my gas money driving my car using my time and my money to do it, they won't stop me, if it dosen't burned them much, nothing ever becomes a major issue.

7. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

reply..

lol im also with you tekken :p My parents essentailly after a while had the attitude, that I could do wahtever I wanted so long as I could pay and get there. This, was also of course after they saw alot of it themselves lol.

8. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

I think more parents should have an attitued similar to that, i mean if the kid REALLY wants to do something, ha! good luck stoping them, but most parents don't condone or allow some things (like taking an MA for example of this thread} because it costs them money and time, not so much as it would be them not liking the idea.

9. |MT|omar

|MT|omar Thai Boxer

my parents were like that too when i first wanted to take up Muay Thai, they came along to some of my 1st classes and saw it wasn't what they expected (blood, gore and violence :p)

1 thing that seemed to work for me was when i said "So you dont want me doing Muay Thai... what if i did Karate or Taekwondo... i'd still be getting punched or kicked" but yeah, i've played sport my whole life so they kinda just had to accept it, although they'd prefer that i stuck with basketball

10. Hehe - my parents will take me :) I used to give some sob story about how I would quit and waste everything if they didn't :)

Now, I'll just say "I'll get a bus if you want" and they still take me :p

11. SideySid

SideySid Valued Member

I wanted to do Karate ever since I was knee high to a grasshopper, after being influenced by Karate Kid etc. Even back then I understood the whole respect and dicipline aspect of it all, and although not being a violent child my parents would not let me join a class of any sort (as well as judo which I argued could only be used in self defence).

Time passed and I always dreamt that when I was old enough I would. Then when the desire restirred in me I was 20 and just split up with my fiancee, and I wanted to exert my emotions. I took up an MMA class, which opened up the MA world to me which I was always fascinated with.

Then one evening walking back to my car after a night out I was set upon by five attackers after my mobile phone etc. I defended myself and used one as their heads as a starting block to run away, only losing a few posessions on the way.

My mum and dad was then "glad" that I had trained in an MA after that, as I was able to defend myself. Thats when they realised what is was all about.

Yes, there are kids out there that shouldn't be allowed to train IMO, but I would hopefully put faith in the instructors to spot the ones that will only use
    what they learn to create trouble...

12. chevelle2291

chevelle2291 Valued Member

San Shou coming soon!

Hey guys,

I don't think I'll be needing to fing a kickboxing club because apparently a big mixup with my Master not being interested in sparring. I asked him at class yesterday about San Shou schools in Illinois (Shaolin Kickboxing) and he said that he knew it and would be willing to put together a San Shou class if he had a group of students willing to do it. Then, I asked if there would be any sparring and he said no. I then asked what we would be doing and he was like "fighting, of course." LOL. Apparently he isn't interested in sparring because he likes freestyle fighting with only Kempo gloves on, lol. So, I'll get a group of buds from my Shaolin class to do it (I know of at least five interested) and then my San Shou class will start up most likely within a month or so....(Smiley)