Paralympics 2008

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Melanie, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

The Beijing 2008 Olympic Games will be a unified sporting celebration. Planning and staging the 2008 Paralympic Games, which will be held from August 27 to September 7, 2008, will be a major priority of Beijing Organizing Committee of Olympic Games (BOCOG). The venues for the Olympic Games will also be fully accessible and cater to the special needs of Paralympic athletes. The budget to put on the Paralympic Games will be underwritten by the Chinese government and the Beijing Municipal government. The level of support and services provided to Paralympians will be the same as those provided to Olympians.

For more information try http://www.beijing-2008.org

Do you know anyone who has been or indeed will be a Paralympian?

2. N/A

N/A New Member

I dont know anyone who ever has .
    But good look to everyone who is entering.
    I have great respect for all the Paralympians keep up the good work.

3. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Are there any Martial Arts on the programme?

4. Melanie

Yep - the same as the normal Olympics, Judo and Taekwando. :)

5. soctt03

soctt03 New Member

Yep! One of my former tutors took part in the 1988 Seoul Paralyompic games in judo.

6. Melanie

Really...wow...how did he get on and what was he competing in?

7. soctt03

soctt03 New Member

I think (??) he told me one of his ears got ripped off during 1 of his bouts and he had to have it surgically re-sown on so I reckon he wasn't able to continue. Thankfully he didn't have any lasting damage as he was deafblind (through Usher's Syndrome), also he was my best tutor at college too.