Paralization?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Hapkido Student, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Hapkido Student

Hapkido Student New Member

Hi everyone. I was just wondering how dangerous hapkido/MMA is. I've never seen anyone get paralized , but my grandparent's keep telling me that the chances are like one in a million. Im kind of worried about it though. I really don't want to roll the wrong way or something and break my neck. Is this a possibility. What exactly does it take to be paralized? Thanks to all in advance. :)

2. Maverick

Maverick New Member

If you break your back or neck you can be paralised. It takes an injury to the spinal cord. It's a risk in any physical activity and one to respect, but not worth forsaking doing an MA for, as the chances of it happening are slim.

3. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

dont spar with people that do not care about others in the school. you can tell early in a school if its a macho man fest trying to show off to eachother, or if its somewhere where learning will take place and sparring can occur without having black belts vs newbs lol.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2005
  4. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

The chances are extrememly slim.

Chill out and have fun. And follow your instructor! Do these things and you won't be worrying about breaking your neck.

5. teutobod

teutobod New Member

Why worry?

There is great knowledge to be obtained through martial arts, you will experience the ecstasy of your victories and the agony of your defeats. The chance of being injured is very real though usually very remote if you practise correctly. But martial arts are NOT for the timid, you must overcome your fear. If you can't....

P.S. No offense intended but there are certain realities you must face in any martial art.

6. Gasg

Gasg Valued Member

There's probably much more chances for you to get paralyzed in a car accident or something, then by practicing an MA (correctly). I don't want to sound mean or anything, but have you considered the fact maybe your grandparents are just trying to scare you away from MA ?

Even if the chances are "1 in a million" that's pretty low to me. I mean, i could consider not doing MA if it was like 4 out of 10 or something, but come on, 1 in a million?

Meh, if you stop doing something because there's 1 in a million chance something bad might happen, you won't be doing much.

7. Hapkido Student

Hapkido Student New Member

hmm

Thank's to all. Yeah I don't plan on stopping martial arts anytime at all. I plan to make it my career in life. I love martial art's. Thanks to everyone who posted, I appreciate your opinions and thought's. i don't know my grandparent's love that I'm in martial art's.Ever since I was a little kid my grandparent's been encouraging me to get into it. They are the one's who taught me what martial arts is. I don't know maybe they are over protective.

8. Legless_Marine

Legless_Marine Banned Banned

The benefits of training in martial arts outweigh the risk of injury.

9. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

better breaking an arm in the kwoon then breaking your neck after getting raped and robbed on the streets. hehe

10. Fighter4Higher

Fighter4Higher Dark man of the unknown

..and I thought I lived in a bad neighborhood. :cool:

11. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Considering how many people have landed awkwardly and hurt themselves and all that yet not been paralysed I wouldn't worry

12. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

You could slip and break your neck walking down the stairs. There's a risk of paralysis in pretty much anything you do that involves physical activity, but you'd hope that your body is resilient enough to take a beating. Freak accidents do occur, but for the most part, if you're careful, then you aren't at serious risk of being paralyzed. Though if you're really afraid of that kind of thing, I'd refrain from doing backflips on trampolines.