Pangamut or Filipino boxing ?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by diablo despacio, Dec 6, 2004.

1. diablo despacio

diablo despacio New Member

Hi

I is new to this forum, but not new to MA.

Can anyone enlighten me Pangamut or Filipino boxing ?

To me they seem two different entities. Maybe i have not been exposed to 'proper' pangamut or Filipino boxing.

Respect :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I didn't think there was a difference. I'm not sure that either are specific styles. For example, I know that GM Cacoy Canete's definition of pangamot is a blend of his experiences in karate, boxing, judo...

Anyone else?

3. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Panantukan and Filipino Boxing a basically the same thing, one is spoken in English and the other in a filipino Dialect.

Pangamut I am led to beleive is the name used for the FMA by the Visayans at the time of the Spanish Invasion of the Philippines.

Filipino Boxing? if you are of course talking about Filipino Boxers Boxing style, this can be different from say and American Boxer or English Boxer, in what many call Western Boxing, but lets be honest here it is not Western Boxing is it, it's English Boxing really, but like all sports the english invent, everybody else just seems to get better at it than them;)

reagrds

Pat

Last edited: Dec 6, 2004
  4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

What the hell. What say we pull out all the confusing vocab. ;)

As I understand it, empty hand FMA gets described as pangamot or (in our school's case) mano mano.

Filipino boxing (whatever that means) is called panantukan. Wrestling is dumog. Kicking is either pananjakman or (in our school's case) sikaran.

Then there's a filipino style similar to kickboxing and taekwondo called sikaran. And a filipino style similar to muay thai called yawyan.

Did I miss anything?

I'm not really convinced that most of these represent specific methods. The sikaran and yawyan styles not withstanding. I think they just represent an acknowledgment of the need for punching, kicking, and grappling.

We learned sikaran not as a specific style with specific conventions. We just learned to integrate kicks in with what we were doing. Granted, there was a kick I hadn't learned in taekwondo. The cross kick or sipa.

Likewise, panantukan (Filipino boxing) could probably very legitimately be considered Western boxing with the possible inclusion of any or all of the following: guntings, elbows, knees, low-line kicking, etc.

Clear as mud. :)

Stuart

5. Pat OMalley

And twice as mistly:D But that is the FMA for you. Don't you just love it when it is clear and simple:rolleyes:

regards

Pat

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Meh. We'd probably all be terribly disappointed if it were cut and dry. ;)

7. ryangruhn

ryangruhn Valued Member

Let us not forget the specific styles of each and what part of the Philippines they evolved out of.

8. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

yes, sometimes we speak of the same thing but is expressed in a different dialect. these things leads to confusion to which is which....but basically, their roots and basics are all but the same. the difference they offer from one another comes from the arts' innovation, evolution, and development as a single entity given that they we're all practiced from different islands and provinces.

9. shootodog

shootodog restless native

let's just put it this way: fma empty hands (striking), with or without feet. may or may not call itself panununtukan, mano mano, suntokaran, suntukan, pangamot, cadena de mano, etc. if they offer it, then take it. some systems of fma believe that the fight will take on the forms of weapons, empty hands, and ground work. these systems therefore offer it all. what will set the empty hands aspect of fma from others is it's flow, it's attitude, it's "ummphaaarrrrghhhhaaaahhhh!" (who knows this? if you know what i mean, you know what i mean).

Last edited: Dec 8, 2004
  10. Pat OMalley

"ummphaaarrrrghhhhaaaahhhh!"I know what you mean, know what I mean:D

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Forgetting that would require me knowing it in the first place. You'll have to enlighten me first. :)

Obviously, I know that different words evolved in different parts of the Philippines. There are an ungodly number of dialects, right? But are you saying that different methods of empty hand evolved in different parts of the Philippines? My perception was that it was more individualized than that.

Stuart

12. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

when the only thing we can express are letters in cyber space then what the heck, let's talk about vocabulary :rolleyes: round and round we go . In the end would you not say it's all a matter of personal prefference?Too bad we're limited to words but the future should bring video clips for discussion on what we can see ? :)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2004
  13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I hope so. I'd love to see examples of empty hand beyond the usual clips of hubud drills.

So let's try this: If you were formulating your own empty hand FMA practice, what would you include? Would it look essentially like boxing but with gunting and the occassional sipa added? Would dumog play a big role? Go crazy.

Or for those of you who already practice a big empty hand component, describe it. I'll do likewise when I've finished tucking into this instant noodle lunch of mine.

Stuart

14. Pat OMalley

But until then I am affraid we are stuck with the written word:cry:

But soon we will evolve to video.

All hail the great Bayani, he is the one who can see our future:D:D:D:D:D:D

Regards

Pat

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Credit where credit is due. I can see the present. In the area immediately surrounding me anyway. It's not much of a superpower, I realize. :)

16. Pat OMalley

Well within my group, along side the weapons aspect of the training we start the students off with the basics of punching, kicking and trapping, we will use the hubud drills to help them form a base at first but then move them on to a more free sparring aspect.

As they progress they will move more on to the locking and lock flow techniques coupled with takedowns and wrestling techniques.

At senior level it gets very interesting, seeing two senior guys or gals sparring your will see a wide veriaty of manouvers including, kicking, punching, knees, elbows, takedowns, traps, locks, guntings, poking, pinching, slapping and biting, with or without weapon. Obviously a certain degree of control is shown by those who are sparring, but it is this time at senior level they try to hone their skills to use whatever works for real combat.

I could write a whole essay of the areas and techniques we cover just on the empty hand side of things, another on the weapons and yet another on how the two relate to each other, but I am not that boring.:rolleyes:

regards

Pat

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Oh, that'd be far from boring my friend.

Still eating cup-a-soup. Write more later. :)

18. Pat OMalley

I heard on the news the other week that apparently they science bods are busy developing what they call Internet 2, which they say can down load information 10 times faster that the Highest Broadband today. Apparently some university's in the US are already gearing up for it and it is costing them millions of $.

But just when it will be available to us poor old general public we can only guess, but when it does come video confrencing on forums they say will become a normal every day occurance.

So as I say all hail the Great Bayani:D for I think he has seen our future, but mind you gone will be the hiding behind a user name, we will soon be able to see if everyones actions can speak louder than their words, worrying for some me thinks;)

regards

Pat

19. Pat OMalley

Mmmm that soup smells nice:cool: , maybe it would be better placed in the article section of MAP, I see when I have the time and the inclination. you never know, one day I may be bored:D

regards

Pat

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yeah, I think it would make a fantastic addition to the articles section. I've been meaning to submit an interview with GM Cacoy Canete to that section myself.