Palm Strikes or Nah?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Pretty In Pink, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Saw a video of cross fitters doing palm strikes on the bag with MMA gloves on. I can't help but feel it's a way lesser technique. with the only benefit being smashing someones head off a wall by palming their forehead.

I'd rather throw punches and kicks and risk a break than throw a palm strike. What say you MAP?

2. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I think there’s a place for both and depends on the target, angle etc
    I can certainly hit things much harder with an open hand than I can a closed fist (no gloves)
    Of course there is technique to open hand strikes so they need to be studied/practiced etc

3. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

With gloves on? Marginally useful for short range GnP if you're not allowed elbows. Otherwise pretty much nope.

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You mean like without injury? Potentially. The only targets really are head and body though unless you're suggesting palm strikes against things like shields or something?

5. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I've seen people literally slapped out of their shoes before. Open hand striking can be effective.

Vince Millett, ned, Travess and 3 others like this.
  6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Do not underestimate palm strikes.

I teach them and have had small female students stop great big dudes dead in their tracks during scenario training

axelb and Vince Millett like this.
  7. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Yeah without injuring myself
    Generally good for upwards strikes to the head (chin is a good target, but most places are accessible) and ribs. There is a benefit if you’re transitioning after the strike to a grab of course

Also arms are good for grip stripping and I agree with the others about slapping

8. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

For a class of people who might have no training in how to make a proper fist and align their wrist, I would be getting them to do palm strikes too. Too much risk of someone injuring themselves otherwise.

9. David Harrison

I've hear that before, but I have a hard time envisioning how that works. If you get someone with a palm strike, they tend to move away from you at some speed. I'm presuming you're talking about head shots? I guess it's a bit more feasible with a lapel grab, but it would have to be a weak palm strike...

10. David Harrison

The obligatory...

11 seconds in:

and:

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

In theory I like palm strikes but know that I've had too much conditioning (watching films, boxing MMA, etc) and training to use the fist that I'd more than likely punch on instinct.

12. David Harrison

You've got more angles of attack with a fist too, so you can just go for available targets on instinct without having to think about whether to use a fist or palm. That kind of thinking capacity just isn't available under pressure.

Fists can fit through smaller gaps in someone's guard than a palm too.

13. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I'd actually argue that there's at least as much risk of injuring the wrist with a palm strike as with a punch. I think the big difference is in protecting the hand bones (palms are a lot more durable than knuckles, especially if you hit something hard like an opponent's skull), not so much a difference in protecting the wrist.

14. David Harrison

Not if you're impacting with the heel of the palm, only if you're impacting with the "ball" of the palm (to borrow kicking terminology).

15. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

The only "real" self defence situation i've thrown a strike was a palm strike to the face , which didn't actually make full contact , but , it made their head move backwards quick enough that they lost balance/momentum and backed right off.

Smitfire likes this.
  16. ned

ned Valued Member

An 0pen palm to the side of the head can easily perforate the ear drum even at relatively low force ,whilst looking fairly innocuous.

17. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

True, but in my experience that's a somewhat easy error to make. Or maybe, since I lack flexibility in my wrists, it's an easy error for me to make. Either way, I'm much more likely to mess up my wrist doing a series of palm strikes than I am working all evening with punches.

18. David Harrison

Yeah, it's especially easy to do on a heavy bag. Bags aren't good for practicing palm strikes really.

Do you bend your fingers down into a half-fist when you palm strike? You can pull the hand back further when you do that than if you have your fingers straight.

19. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I do. Even so, I personally have exceptionally poor wrist flexibility. Some days it's hard to even get my palms flat for push-ups. (Ironically, my fingers are exceptionally flexible, and so I often do push-ups with my wrist straight, resting my weight on the "ball" of my palm and the pad of my thumb, with my fingers bent "the wrong way" 90 degrees, like I'm keeping a golf ball tucked in my palm while doing the push-up)

20. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

My Sifu would often say "Hard against soft, soft against hard". We use palm strikes in Wing Chun, especially against certain targets. Palms are a great way to break someone's nose or ribs without risking breaking your hand.