Palm stick weapon

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Narrue, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

A very ancient weapon which has been used all over the world, in ancient Greece, the celts, in India, japan, South east Asia is a short stick with a double point.

It became a religious symbol and monks used them to defend themselves when they could not carry other weapons. Its called yawara in Japan and dulo dulo in the Philippines but what do they call them in Indonesia?

Probably my favourite weapon as I think it more usable in todays world i.e. could be replaced with a steel pen, torch etc

Attached Files:

2. SteveBioletti

SteveBioletti Valued Member

A mini-maglite torch is just as good!

3. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

I know ;)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gL6ZNDzVxk"]Tactical Flashlight and Dulo Dulo Defense Drills - YouTube[/ame]

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I know this doesn't constitute "exhaustive research." But a quick scan of the Wikipedia entry on silat weaponry doesn't list anything like the palm stick. Closest I saw was the toyok or tembong (stick). But the description sounded more like something akin to a baston or olisi ("eskrima stick").

5. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

There's a smaller one we use called the kanching stick.

6. SteveBioletti

SteveBioletti Valued Member

Also known as a yawara bo or Kubotan

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I believe there's a Korean term for it as well (dan bong?). Sadly, none of those really address the OP. :)