Pain in shins

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by madknight, Jan 29, 2009.

1. madknight

madknight Valued Member

Well I've been feeling a bit of pain in my shins the past little while when I do activities like running/jogging, walking (flat surface and up or down hills), and skipping. It doesn't happen every time I do these activities but I notice it every now and then. It's not much pain, very slight but I don't want it to be one of those things that turns into a bigger problem if there are anyways to fix the problem now.

The running and walking and such I notice it on pavement and the skipping is done on a matted floor where I do Kickboxing.

So if you guys could help and give some solutions to the problem I would really appreciate it.

2. righty

righty Valued Member

Does it only happen when you wear shoes/barefoot?

Is it an ache or does it only happen when there is weight or impact on the foot?

Both legs?

Where in the shin? At the front, a bit to the side etc?

Did you do much running/jogging/skipping before you started MA (which I notice you have only been doing for a number of months?

To get a good diagnosis you are of course going to have to see a doctor. Right now it may not be much, but if it gets worse or continues you are really going to want to.

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

In a word (or two) Shin Splints. Welcome to hell.
    First things first, stop running, a couple of weeks on the table now will save you a couple of months further down the line - stress fractures are no fun.
    Chances are you have flat feet. But to check, we need to do the footprint test. Instructions are at http://www.wikihow.com/Use-the-Footprint-Test.
    The right shoes might not be enough; they aren't for me. You can get off the shelf orthotic inserts (insoles) that work to correct your stride. I haven't found a set that work particularly well so far, but I hear amazing things about Dr Foot Insoles (http://www.drfoot.co.uk/). I'm getting a set at the moment, they are my last resort before I dig deep and commission some custom moulded ones.
    In the interim, treat sore shins with the RICE method and try to avoid running - especially downhill until you get it sorted.

4. Genkuro

Genkuro Valued Member

Run up, walk down?

5. holyheadjch

Ideally, or just be sure you down allow your feet to slap the ground as you run downhill.

6. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I used to get shin splints but I just ran more to strengthen my legs and they eventually disappeared. You may want to visit a podiatrist or something if it continues- it may be down to how you run, ie if you under or over pronate.You may want to look at your shoes too and whether they are right for you or not.

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

8. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Thats the kind of thing I was doing when I got them,seemed to help over time.

9. holyheadjch

You have to be careful with this approach though, I did the same initially and got me a bunch of stress fractures for my trouble.

10. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

If they are that bad then a visit to the gp would be worth a go!

11. holyheadjch

These exercises are of limited effectiveness if the shin splints are a result of a mechanical imbalance and can make things significantly worse if you are suffering from posterior compartment syndrome.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  12. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Fair enough, which is why it is obviously important to get a proper diagnosis on an injury before self-treating!

13. madknight

madknight Valued Member

Well yesterday it was an ache but I had just finished my Kickboxing class so that's probably the cause of the ache. The majority of the time it's the impact.

I think both feet yes, but I notice it more on my left foot I think.

It occurs more in the front I think but I can't remember for sure.

No I never really did any running/skipping before MA.

Well let me be more clear on the running. I don't run for long periods of time like your thinking. It's winter here, lots of snow and ice so I rarely run. I only run/jog if I'm in a hurry or need to get out of the weather. It's not a regular thing. Though walking up and down a hill occurs multiple times a day usually.

Yeah I have flat feet and I use to have insoles. Maybe it would be worth looking into again.

Do you think I should go see a doctor and get their opinion on the matter?

14. holyheadjch

If you know you have flat feet then you probably dont need to see a doctor unless it gets worse. If the pain becomes severe or the shins become very tender to the touch then you should get a medical opinion.

15. madknight

madknight Valued Member

Ok, I'll probably leave out the doctor unless the pain gets worse or it becomes a regular thing. For now what do you suggest I do? Maybe work on strengthening the muscles in my legs more?

16. holyheadjch

get some insoles in the shoes that you work out in, and ice them when they're sore

17. madknight

madknight Valued Member

I don't wear shoes when I workout. If I'm home and I workout I'm usually barefoot. I don't go to a gym or anything, and if I'm at Kickboxing it's always barefoot. No shoes on the mats and such are allowed.

18. righty

righty Valued Member

Did you get your shoe insert from a podiatrist or someone similar? Or are they just bought off the shelf.

As people have said it's likely to be shin splints or stress fractures. Both can be the result of training wearing inappropriate footwear and starting activities where you haven't been active before. The treatment for both is pretty much rest. But there are other, more serious things it can be, and I'm speaking from experience.

If it continues, definitely see a doctor, but try and see a sports physician if you do. They are basically GPs with more of a sports perspective.

19. madknight

madknight Valued Member

I can't remember where I got the shoe inserts. It's been years since I've worn them.

As I said before, I don't wear anything on my feet when I train. How long would it take for these things to heal while resting anyway? The idea of sitting around for weeks is really annoying...

20. righty

righty Valued Member

For kickboxing classes you don't really have a choice so you must go barefoot. But other training you really should get yourself and make use of a proper, supportive pair of shoes, especially since you say you are an overpronator (flat footed). If you haven't worn the shoe inserts for years I wouldn't bother too much about wearing them, but I would investigate where they came from further. If they are proper orthotics (from a podiatrist or some such) it's probably worth booking another appointment.

The time it takes to heal can vary significantly from person to person. And since you don't really know what it is either it doesn't help. Some people live with shin splints for years. But stress fractures can continue to worsen if you stress them.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009