Pain after an intensive workout?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by mani, Apr 18, 2005.

1. mani

mani Valued Member

Hello guys,

I recently have started using dumbells (8kg) to strengthen my arms, and to be honest I find these quite a challenge as I am quite a skinny guy and so have skinny arms. I do about 10 sets of around 10 reps, and around the 6th, 7th set I do find it very difficult, but the next morning I feel no pain in my biceps (I workout at night) and they feel as fresh as they were before the workout last night.

However when I do my normal press-ups which I do on a regular basis around 100 with intervals, the next morning I feel quite considerable pain in my upper chest area, although I have been doing press-ups on a regular basis for some time now.

Does this mean I am not training hard enough on my dumbells?, although I already find doing 10 sets quite a challenge. I also have started taking a weider protein shake while doing press-ups and dumbells and are of 17 years of age if it helps. Should I alter my training programme in any way? Should I feel pain after a workout?

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  2. seikido

seikido New Member

If you stretch and warm up properly, you shouldn't feel much pain after a workout. It could be that you can more easily stretch your biceps than your pecs and shoulders (I assume you stretch before and after a workout), but 8kg is a little light for biceps strength training. Can you up your weight and lower your reps? What you're doing is building muscular endurance, but if you want strength gain, you want to work in a range of 3-5 sets of 6-8 reps of heavier weight. Don't go too high, since you just started, but to give you some idea, I'm a girl, (and like most girls fairly weak in the upper body), for my biceps I like to do 3 supersets (one immediately following the other) of a 30lb barbell (12 reps) followed by 20lb dumbells (10 reps each arm).
    Your body gets used to your workouts, so it will help if you can switch up your program a little--dumbells, barbells, preacher curls, etc. for biceps. Check out ExRx website for exercises.
    On another note, strong biceps are not as useful for MA as triceps, so keep working your triceps with press-ups, dips, and other exercises as well as your biceps. You'll probably feel sore the first few times you've had a new workout, but then your body will adapt and you'll feel less sore/not sore at all after workouts.

3. mani

mani Valued Member

Thanks for the advice Seikido, I'll give 10kg dumbells a try with a lower number of reps.

4. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

Um, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but your program sounds pretty shocking... from what I've heard of it anyway. But, I'm assuming you do no back exercises? What about legs? Shoulders? Trust me, you sound like a beginner (sorry) so biceps should be the least of your worries, especially as a MAist. Do a search here (along the lines of 'program') you should find what other people have said about a good balanced workout, as I couldn't really be bothered regurgitating it all for you. But if you have any questions or problems finding information through the search, let me know and I'll put in some effort :D

5. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

It sounds like your dumbells aren't heavy enough to do anything decent with so check out the H+F resource forum for guidance on exercises like dips, chin ups, pistol squats, handstand press ups, planches etc.

Sorry to break it to you - dumbell curls are pretty pointless mate.