Pagoda freestanding wooden dummy?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Greyskull, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Greyskull

Greyskull New Member

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

3. Greyskull

Greyskull New Member

Cool. Interesting design considering its not made out of wood.

4. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

Have you used one of those dummies before? I've only ever used "live" dummies - the ones mounted so there's some play to them when you hit them. My Sifu doesn't particularly like "dead" dummies, but I've never used one. Hannibal, have you used both types? Can you discuss the differences in how they feel when you use them?

5. Hannibal

The feedback is different, but I have to remephasise I use mine for JKD not WC per se so my structure and requirements are different.

The freestanding dummies allow for better zoning and angling, and I will also "take the back" as if wrestling it. The downside is if you give it a "good 'un" there is quite a bit of travel, but I would argue this makes it slighly MORE realistic as a response rather than less.

6. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

The Pagoda dummy linked has two hole in the base plate. Seems it is intended to be bolted to the floor. Might want to call the supplier and ask to be sure. Holes in the floor could be an issue for some.

7. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

Thanks for the input, Hannibal, and welcome back.

I know very little about JKD, so I was curious as to how you used the dummy.

8. Hannibal

I "freeform" on it a lot. That is a personal thing rather than a JKD thing though...as I rule I just hate forms, even in equipment/pair training!

I will move in and out a lot, using kicks to bridge entries, or even "blast in " . As well as the usual pak/lop/jao etc I will also use guntings (from FMA), elbows, knees, locks...anything I would set up from close in

My Sifu is actually bringing out a DVD on how to use the dummy, and we have a dummy being made to our association specs in development

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAluGHKGLc4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAluGHKGLc4[/ame]

Notice how he "floats" as distance in between actions on the dummy, and there is some Tai Chi/JKD?FMA style moves at the end of the demo

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  9. Kenko Enso

Kenko Enso Valued Member

The amount of distance he covers in such few steps is amazing. And it doesn't look like something the average person would do where they'd throw their weight around to get more coverage. Very intriguing to me.

Out of curiosity, aren't there wooden dummies where when you strike a peg that section will spin around so you have to block an oncoming "arm"?

10. Hannibal

Singh is something special alright!

There are a few spinning dummies. Warrior dummies make them, but I have never used one. The strike me as a bit "gimmicky", but that might be a bit harsh wthout having gone hands on

11. Kenko Enso

Kenko Enso Valued Member

I've always been fascinated by them because of Jackie Chan movies I watched while growing up. Are the free standing dummies better than the wall mountings that just have the arms sticking out?

12. Hannibal

Definitely. The wall mounted ones are a compromise that fit into the "better than nothing" category

13. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

No... go with these guys.

http://www.ulti-mate-wooden-dummies.co.uk/ultimateportablefreestanding.html

These are by far the best dummy makers in the uk, for quality and sheer variety. You have a host of customisation options from size, dummy type, wood, width, colour etc.. Traditional dummies.

I got mine from them and its just a beauty. I shopped around for a long time, and checked all the sites linked in this thread, go with ulti-mate.

14. Hannibal

Nice looking dummies those!

15. ned

ned Valued Member

I am making my own dummy from a telegraph pole(was being used as a post on a barn i was renovating).i have the plans in an old Randy Williams book i found;mook yan joang and mui fa joang ,vol 3 of a series he did.
    I plan to have a base plate that can be fixed outside to a post or to a moveable base in my shed

16. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

I have the Ip Man free standing portable from ulti-mate, I too searched for a long time until speaking to Steve at ulti-mate, they are with out a doubt superb and worth every penny.

Even though it is free standing, it does move from side to side and backwards so you do get feedback instead of striking a solid unmoveable object and the beauty is there is a dummy suitable for every style, build and budget at ulti-mate, gets my vote 100%.

17. Greyskull

Greyskull New Member

Hi old timer

How long and wide is your dummy? I am looking for a dummy but do have a lot of room.

18. old timer

My dummy sits in front of the patio doors and my girlfriend doesnt mind so thats a bonus lol!

Mine is the traditional frame which is 650mm wide x 1080mm deep including the leg. They also do a modern frame which looks more compact. The three types of stands are at the bottom of this page http://www.ulti-mate-wooden-dummies.co.uk/ourrange.html

19. Greyskull

Greyskull New Member

Thanks, I'll certainly look into this

20. old timer

Found a picture of mine from last christmas, excuse the tinsel, it was my girlfriends idea and she also named him "woody".

Attached Files: