Paging Giovanni or any Other Chicago Area MAPpers...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by dormindo, May 8, 2013.

1. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

I'll be heading up to Chicago in the near future for a short visit and want to continue my weight training while up there. To this end, I am asking if any of you Chicago area MAPpers know of any good gyms (bonus points if it is near the southwest side) where I can get in my squats, presses, deadlifts, etc. I already know where I'll be getting in my roadwork, so I just need this one missing piece.

I'm already searching online, but would certainly appreciate the recommendation of somewhere on site.

2. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

hello dormindo!!!

i'm sorry, i don't know the southwest side very well. i'm sure there's more than two quality gyms in the city, but these are the only two of the ones i've been to i would recommend for a serious lifter.

http://www.quadsgym.com/ (north side)
    http://bucktownfitness.com/ (wicker park/bucktown)

no contracts, pay as you go. solid equipment, or at least there was when i worked out at either place last.

i wish 'big mikey' was still around. he'd probably know a good place or two too.

where are you getting your road work in? the lake?

if you do by chance make it to bucktown fitness, pm me: coffee's on giovanni.

3. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Thanks, Giovanni! I'll look into these tonight--particularly Bucktown. If I do end up going there, I'll be sure to let you know.

As far as being a serious lifter--well I just started out last December and had much of what I was doing derailed by the last few months of school (in the tail end of the coursework phase of the PhD program). So, I'm still a newby, but taking it seriously.

Roadwork will be by the lake with my sister in law and her friends who are training for a half-marathon. On days that they won't be training, I'm running the track at the school new my in-laws' home.

Thanks again for the quick response!