Padilla and sons kimonos

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Stevebjj, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

2. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Only 3 sizes?!? That strikes me as a bit odd...I fired off an email to them to see what they have to say. The prices are great, the quality sounds good, but I worry about buying a gi tailored for someone anywhere between 5'-5'8" and 130-160 lbs.

3. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

I'm a fairly average size, so... there ya go. I couldn't resist the sales pitch on that blog, so I ordered one. I'm such a gi whore! :)

4. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

Hehe... Jason (the author the above blog) is a part of our BJJ club. I'm thinking of switching from Atama to these for our club gis.

5. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

Great link, Steve.

That looks very tempting - about $15 shipping to the UK, which is damn cheap if I read that right: comes to $95. Will have to look into that some more, as that seems TOO cheap. Might not have entered it in right or something.

Depending what my bonus looks like this year (presuming I get one), I was going to get myself a Vulkan so I didn't have to worry much about cutting weight (not that I have to worry much now, but meh). However, this looks so cheap that I reckon I'd probably get one of Joe's too.

Would be good if he started taking paypal, as I never use credit cards (spending money I don't have makes me uncomfortable), but thats a small point.

6. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

The blog was right about customer service. Shot him off an email, already got a response, seems like a very nice guy to do business with. I should be placing an order this weekend :)

7. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Ah... small world. Honestly, if he weren't so effusive, I wouldn't have bought it. As it is, based upon his review, I wouldn't be surprised if this gi alone doesn't get me another stripe on my belt! ;)

8. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Slidey, I might double check that shipping. Is it $15 worldwide? Because I paid $15 for UPS Ground and I only live up the West coast from him.

I'll let you guys know what I think when it comes in.

9. slideyfoot

Yeah, it seemed far too cheap for international delivery. I did a test run going through the checkout process, putting in a UK address, and the shipping stayed at $15, but perhaps that was a glitch, or maybe it would come up with a different price at some point later on (though the only step left was to put in credit card details).

10. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Got the gi yesterday and had time to wash it before class. They don't come preshrunk. The instructions advice drip dry, but I like to live on the edge and threw it in the dryer at low so I could wear it last night. It didn't shrink overly much. The jacket fits fine now, but I do have some room for it to shrink up a little more. The pants shrunk up quite a bit and are perfect for me now, hanging to about an inch above my feet. I'll be sure to wash it on cold and air dry from now on so that it doesn't shrink too much more.

I don't know what it looks like to you guys, but from the pictures I thought it was going to be a well made but heavier gi, along the lines of the Gameness Platinum Weave or the Atama double weave. I was very happy to see otherwise. It's light... comparable to my Gameness Pearl or the Koral. It's extremely soft and pliable, which is in stark contrast to my HCK. (Yes, I'm a friggin Gi whore)

I took some ribbing from my coach who'd never heard of the brand before. I told him that the sharks would make me roll better. He wasn't convinced. :)

Anyway, I have no idea how this gi will wear over time, but my initial impression is very good. I have no regrets on buying this gi and it will definitely get worn often. The only thing that would make it perfect is to add lasers to the sharks' heads.

11. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I know, moderate threadomancy here, but I got mine on Thursday, washed it Friday, wore it Saturday. Didn't shrink much, and much like you I tossed it in the fryer. Looks good, the price was excellent, and I even got a call from Mr. Padilla on Saturday asking me what I thought of my purchase! Great guy, brown belt trying to do some business with a sport he enjoys, really good customer service.

I definitely recommend him. No question about it.

12. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

what size did you get, and how does it fit?

13. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Will have to check the size. I gave him my stats, and he shipped me what fit. I think it was a 3 in his size charts. Fits great.

14. slideyfoot

Just thought I'd add my recommendation: my gi arrived about a week after I ordered it (which is pretty good considering I'm in the UK), under £60 even with shipping. Like everyone else has been saying, great customer service (lots of polite, professional emails, and he offered to phone me to finalise the order - I'm happy enough with email, but thought it was cool he didn't mind the international call).

I washed mine once at 30 degrees then drip-dried, and seems to fit fine (size 2 on the Padilla sizing). Just got back from my first class wearing it - easily the most comfortable of the three gis I currently own. Not as covered in patches as I'd expected from the pic on Smash Pass, either: just a couple of shark logos dotted about, rather than huge patches on the arms and legs.