Pacquiao vs. Algeri set November 22

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Saved_in_Blood, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Chris Algeri is an unknown and put himself on the map with his boxing lesson over Ruslan Provodnikov after a hard first round. He's a kickboxer turned boxer.

Now that bob arum has run out of guys for Manny to fight, he is putting him in with this guy. The problem I see is that Algeri even if defeated will only make Manny look bad. The fight IMO will be lucky to sell 350k PPV's as well. It's a lose lose situation for Manny.

Algeri is an excellent boxer with good movement, 6 ft. tall and with excellent hand speed as well as an excellent jab. Not a lot of power, but enough apparently that he could keep Provodnikov at bay for most of their 12 round fight.

I cannot find any highlights that are worth watching on youtube, but Manny may be in for a very rough night, and if he loses... his career is over. Not a fight I would have taken if I were Roach.

I will pick Manny by robbery.

2. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Well, now that's certainly an interesting one to mull-over. There must be some 'hidden' benefits for Pacquiao in this fight that we are not seeing.

Whatever we think of Arum's business ethics and so forth, he's not a fool. There's to be something for [Arum and Pacquiao] besides a lack of contenders - something that offsets possible lackluster PPV's and so forth.

"Manny by robbery" ? Well, I canna say 'robbery' isn't an epidemic, lol, but I don't think Pacman wants a W tinged with that sort of thinking

3. puma

puma Valued Member

I think Manny is going to steam-roller him, I really do. I was getting my hopes up for a Pacquiao-Khan fight. Oh well.

4. Saved_in_Blood

Have you gotten to see any of Algeri's fights? Manny doesn't steamroll anyone anymore since he's been off the juice.

Also notice that Manny admitted Rio's hurt him in their fight. Manny got taken off both of his feet by Bradley and admitted he was hurt then as well... they are taking lighter punchers each time out.

5. Saved_in_Blood

But think about it... who does arum have left? He talked about a possible match-up with Alvarez... is he crazy?? Obviously or IMO at least that was to generate some interest. Who does arum have left for Manny to fight? Bradley and Marquez are old news, and even if they were to have a "rubbermatch" with Bradley, he got a torn calf in the last fight with Manny and has 2 more months of rehab. Marquez is apparently "asking for to much", which IMO is stupid considering that it's fair that he did beat Manny fair and square by KO.. so no questions about a decision that time. I can't name all of TR's fighters, but there really are not many left. Supposedly Manny was going to fight Ruslan, but that of course backfired and the judges finally made a good decision and Chris won it. A guy like Algeri is a dangerous because what does he have to lose? His style is an absolute nightmare for a guy like Manny IMO... but we'll see how it goes anyway.

6. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Well, that's only due to the never-ending, ridicules row that's been going on between Golden Boy and Top Rank, as you know!

Funny, Arum had said last month that the field of candidates for Manny was opening up due to things supposedly thawing out a bit between Arum and La Hoya ( but its not just them, there's more than a couple of lawyers involved who won't quit sabotaging the thaw-out, methinks )

As you mentioned, Arum had previously thrown around Provodnikov's name - He'd also mentioned Cotto - but he's obviously "spoken for" now.

Hmmm.... yeah, man...its stacked to overflow with contenders, lol.

Ja, Algeri will give Pacman fits, but I see Manny grinding out a unanimous decision here. A bad style for Pacquiao, yes; as was Lara's for Canelo's.

7. babagua

babagua New Member

Algeri is just huge. I watched a few videos of him training.. This fight will not be easy for the Pacman.

8. puma

puma Valued Member

I think Algeri is in way over his head here. I think he'll find that out very quickly. I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit the deck somewhere in the first 2 rounds. Then I think it just depends on whether Pacquiao decides to finish him, which if Algeri decides to just try and go the distance rather than win, may not happen, but I think it will. I can't see Algeri getting through this. It may be fairly short. Then of course everyone will bang on about the Mayweather fight, which is where it will be Pacquiao's turn to quickly learn he is in way over his head. Watching Floyd torture him will be like watching a kid pulling the wings off a fly one by one. Unfortunately he will make Pacquiao go through 12 rounds of that.

9. puma

puma Valued Member

Fairly predictable. Good promoting though. This was always going to be a mismatch, but they got people beliving Pacquiao might be in trouble, therefore making this win seem better than it actually was. Algeri is a brave dude.