Pacquiao-Rios

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Sandninjer, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Canelo also has 40 some fights, so those who make the "he wasn't ready excuse" need to remember that. What they mean to say is "most of his opposition either sucked or was WAY passed their prime". Trout was a good win, but Trout isn't a heavy puncher, and isn't a supreme boxer either. Canelo has now fought and lost to the best... there is no shame in that, but he needs to now keep his opposition at the A and B level. No one C-fighters.

2. Saved_in_Blood

He also got a few broken ribs against cheato as well from what I had read.

3. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Damn I have never heard that. But I guess it makes sense. Cheato ;) came in at 17 lbs heavier that night as well. But served him, his orbital bone and his eye socket right.

4. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

He wasn't ready because those 40 odd fights were NOT with ... :hail: HIM...or anyone within close proximity.

5. Saved_in_Blood

Well that's true, and people try to say oh pressure fighters give him the hardest time. Really? The last I looked I didn't see that. Intelligent pressure such as Cotto is the best you will get, or perhaps Golovkin, but I don't think that is a fight that will be happening any time soon. I do think a fight with Martinez is a real possibility though.

6. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

I think Martinez is too much for Canelo to handle right now. I had long wanted to see Martinez and Mayweather but the difference in weight is fairly significant.

7. Saved_in_Blood

I meant Floyd vs. Martinez actually. Canelo and Cotto seems to be the next fight to get made. Khan is a smokescreen, Garcia is possible, but I don't know if he's ready to take a loss just yet, Manny and Bradley will likely rematch because both are with arum and that whole thing isn't going to get worked out and the rematch needs to happen. That doesn't leave a lot of options for Floyd and from what I had read, Martinez has an open schedule.

Floyd won't fight him at 160 though. That's just to high of a weight for him. Sergio claims he can come down to 154 comfortably, so if that's the case, then we'll see if that fight could be made.

Fighting Khan will get Floyd slaughtered by the media and everyone including myself.

8. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Ah. Totally in agreement about Khan, and most others feel this way as well. Martinez is a fairly big guy and I have always loved his style. The way he ended Paul Williams was identical to Pacquiao laying out Hatton. A long time ago I had posted on this forum that he was one of the people I'd like to see Floyd fight, but I didn't realize Martinez was willing to come down to 154. Unfortunately that's going to be a big disadvantage for him. Floyd is already great, and for guys to jump up or down weight classes JUST to fight him puts them at an even greater disadvantage.

Moving on, what do you think about my theory of Martinez having been dodged by most great fighters? I don't think he was able to make himself very marketable.

9. Saved_in_Blood

I think Martinez, and his promoter did the best they could to make the best fights they could. The problem is that Martinez isn't a villain, but isn't the super outgoing nice guy such as manny (though Sergio is a good guy IMO), so there was no real flash. I think he was hoping he would get some respect by just showing off his boxing skills, when you have guys like Judah who get shot after shot because of Judah's past which he now seems to have put behind him.

He actually said he would come all the way down to 150 lbs for manny or Floyd a while back. However, Sergio isn't a big MW compared to some of the other guys out there. chafatz doesn't count since he gains 20-25 lbs in a day because he's so lazy in training. He got a thorough boxing lesson and then landed a lucky punch in the 12th and based on that feels he deserves a rematch... I don't agree.

With Golovkin being at 160, he will be the new king of that division, though I don't think Sergio would avoid him.... I've also seen some things in Golovkin that make him look much more beatable than most think.

I've always said if Floyd goes up to 160 and beats Sergio... it will do wonders for his already stellar legacy. If he fights him at 154 it's still a good win but you will still have those "what if's" about it.

10. belltoller

Floyd's already reachin at 154; not exactly a large WW. If Floyd went to 160 what is Sergio going to be on fight night?

Now GGG has what it takes to power through Floyd's defence, but Golovkin is a large MW at that, so there's no way that [GGG/Mayweather] would ever happen.

I really don't have that much of a problem with Khan from a purely entertainment aspect.

11. Saved_in_Blood

Golovkin also has said he would move down to 154. What the deal is with all of these MW's trying to now pick on WW's is beyond me... but it seems to be a trend now. They all want that payday.

12. belltoller

Yooooooooouuuu ... got it!

Tell me the truth, though; would you step into the ring with Floyd (no handicaps, straight up ) for a piece of that pie? :D

13. Saved_in_Blood

Having never been in a ring? Yep, still would and bet I could give a better head butt than Ortiz

14. belltoller

but can you bite like Mike?

15. puma

puma Valued Member

These two comments made me laugh!

Other than the money, obviously, surely there is no gain for such a big guy to challenge Floyd? If they win, it just looks like bullying, picking on the midget. If they lose, which they almost certainly will, it's embarrassing being slapped about by, er, a midget. Couldn't think of another way to put it. they should be challenging their weight group and upwards, like Mayweather, not people below them.

16. Saved_in_Blood

Oh yeah, i'll scratch,claw, bite and even grab some testies for a few million. That would go a lot way in helping the poor, and making sure my son is set for his life.

17. belltoller

I for one am a happy camper knowing I won't be getting into the ring with YOU!

18. Saved_in_Blood

HA!