Pacquiao-Marquez IV

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Sandninjer, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

LOL. Will you watch it? Will you purchase the PPV? What are your thoughts on part............. 4?

Although I won't deny Pacquiao has no one else left to really fight, but a 4th showdown is a bit ridiculous. I would have gone for Garcia next at least, just to keep Amir Khan quiet about how Roach doesn't teach any self defense. Then again, there would be virtually zero revenue generated from Garcia's corner.

Fact: I was an avid Amir Khan and Manny Pacquiao fan until each of their last fights.

I was with Amir when he lost to Peterson on the cards but losing to a low-grade fighter like Garcia simply because Amir kept his guard down the entire 4 rounds he was in there went to show how clearly amateur he still is at heart and will never be great. Pacquiao, on the other hand, who has this whole new born-again Christian thing going for him decided to soften up on his opponents because rearranging their faces like he did to Cotto and Margarito is non-Christian of him. At least, that's what he thinks. I'm happy he's taken this new religious awakening seriously. From personal experience, I know that it can make you a much better person. But when fight night came, Pacquiao literally kept the audience and all his fans waiting for half an hour because he wanted to finish watching the Lakers game that he bet millions on. That's a lot of disrespect to his fans and to me. Didn't make it any better he basically held back on Bradley the whole night yet still managed to make it appear as a one-sided fight to 99% of the world. As we all know, that didn't flow with the judges.

Either way, I don't like this Pacquiao and I hope that Marquez finally beats him on the card. Roach already said he doesn't have any new ideas to implement. Marquez on the other hand, he can.

I definitely won't be buying the fight. If anything, I might go to a local sportsbar and watch it for free. Pacquiao claims he is going to go back to the old fighter he was when he wrecked Hatton, Cotto, Margarito and others before them and that his entire training camp will be in LA this time, not flying back and forth to the Philippinnes like he always does.

If the old Pacquiao is back, I see big trouble for JMM. If it's the Pacquiao as of late, I'd prefer and even predict JMM to win by split decision.

What are your thoughts?

2. puma

puma Valued Member

It's a joke! He hopes Marquez will one day get too old! For me, this is no win for Pacquiao. If he wins, well, age and tough bouts have finally caught up with Marquez. If he struggles or loses to Marquez, again, then people will have to question whether Pacquiao was ever as good as made out to be. Or did he get the right fighters at the right time - or more importantly the right weight?

There are loads of fights out there. Fight Cotto again at HIS weight. I don't believe that Pacquiao would beat the Cotto who turned up against Mayweather. And why on earth would he not want to KO Bradley? Where is the competitor in him?

What drug tests are in line for this fight by the way? Has he finally accepted to do things properly?

3. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

I wholeheartedly agree with you except for the Bradley part. I thought about him moving up in weight to fight Cotto and I was VERY surprised at Cotto's performance. I already respected him a lot as a boxer before that fight and that one just blew me away. I've noticed Mayweather has trouble mostly with Latin-American fighters, ie, Miguel Cotto, Oscar De La Hoya, Jose Luis Castillo, but a shame he was able to outmatch JMM the way he did (which can be argued in JMM's defense). It's too bad he hasn't fought more Latino fighters though. I think the whole issue with him not wanting to go back and KO Bradley was because of the poor decision. All the money in the fight pretty much came from Pacquiao, why give Bradley the opportunity again when he doesn't deserve it? I think it's also about self respect and I agree with the decision.

4. puma

puma Valued Member

I don't know. I think if it was me I would make a rematch with Bradley first to erase all doubt. But then, there is the same issue with Marquez I guess.

Have I heard right that Brook has turned down a Bradley fight?

5. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

He did?? It must be new, I'm usually all over ESPN's boxing website. Interesting, I wonder if there's a solid reason behind it.

About Bradley again though, I don't think there is much doubt though. Even most boxing analysts believe so as well. I think there's far more doubt than Marquez, and now that I look at it from this perspective, I actually think Marquez was a much better decision for his (Pacquiao's) reputation.

6. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Nope, I have no interest in Manny-Marquez 12, or whatever number this is.

Unless he's fighting Mayweather, I'm not even interested in Manny.

Manny versus Ricky Hatton, and everything before that -- yes, double yes, he was my boxing god. I was 100% a fan as he came up the ranks. Loved him.

The last few fights, though, are wrong. There's something wrong with boxing, we all know that, but the Bradley win sealed it for me. There are too many crooks, and I can't not think that Manny (and Bradley, for his part) got rich off it. I'm not saying the earlier Manny fights were rigged. The Hatton knockout was unquestionably legit, for example. But his last few outings were not the same.

There's something different in Manny, and you put that next to the blatant insulting crooked Bradley fight, and I'm not interested anymore.

7. dimitris

dimitris Valued Member

Agreed for the Bradley fight

8. aikiMac

What doubt is there in the Bradley fight? :dunno:

9. MaxSmith

MaxSmith Valued Member

I think the Bradly fight was just another example of the same kind of terrible decisions that happen all too often in boxing. I honestly don't think there was anything more sinister going on behind the scenes. Bad calls and combat sports pretty much go hand in hand.

10. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

I agree for the most. It's still hard to take in that THREE judges could make such a terrible decision but it's still too surprising for me to completely rule out the possibility of a fix.

11. MaxSmith

MaxSmith Valued Member

Not sure that I agree but can't honestly blame you for thinking that way.

As far as the OP goes I totally agree, not very interested. Manny is in a hard spot though, probably wants a few more big fights/paydays before hanging 'em up and the only interesting one seems to be impossible to make.

If I recall he recently said he would even settle for a lesser PvP split, like 45/55 or something to that nature.

12. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Yup, they've apparently placed it in Mayweather's hands now. I have a feeling he's gonna make another excuse again though.

13. Teflon

Teflon Valued Member

Excuse? lol

14. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Mayweather's made way too many illegitimate demands for the fight to happen. First the whole issue with Olympic style drug testing which arose when talks of Pacquiao and him became more serious (obviously because he acknowledge's Pac's power). Then after crying about that for so long, Pacquiao's camp agreed to completely give in to his Olympic drug testing demands but he started saying he wanted a 60/40 split, and then decided he was "generous" by going 55/45 instead. Whether either party deserves a slightly larger portion is kind of irrelevant to discuss though, because when you delay a megafight for a year to two years, especially when you're both already out of your prime, is just petty.

Boxers make excuses today and hide behind saying, "It's a job, I have to make money". But you know what? If it was only about money, then why become a professional boxer to begin with? Becoming a pro boxer means you become a celebrity and that means you become responsible for entertaining your fans. It's not your team's job, it's not just your promoter's job, it's not anyone else's job, it's YOUR job as a professional athlete to entertain your fans. Otherwise, just go work as a boxing analyst or announcer or something. I'm just saying, it was real petty of Mayweather to delay the fight for so long because of a mere 5% difference. Yes that 5$ would be a lot of money to people like us, a few million bucks, but a few hundred million total revenue is what we'd theoretically be looking at and most importantly, something priceless: legacy.

The fight has been in Mayweather's hands for nearly 2 years now. The Pac camp met all his demands yet he always finds new things to cry about.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  15. puma

puma Valued Member

Pacquiao didn't meet all of his demands. And what was the big deal being asked to do a drugs test? That made Pacquiao look real dodgy in my eyes. Why even hesitate if you have nothing to hide? And why lie and say you are scared of needles when you have given yourself a tattoo? Why say blood tests weaken you when that clearly isn't true? Mayweather is undefeated. Pacquiao isn't. Mayweather has been on top for a long time. Mayweather doesn't challenge for a champs title at a weight lower than the title is held. Why does Pacquiao deserve 50-50? I just think Bob Arum knows Pacquiao has no chance whatsoever, and wants to milk the cash-cow for as long as possible. I think he is to blame personally.

16. MaxSmith

MaxSmith Valued Member

I tend to think Mayweather wil out point him, but wouldn't go so far as to say Pacquio doesn't have a chance.

17. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

I agree & who cares about Pac Man v Marquez again. These are some of the issues that are killing the sport & reasons why MMA is the fastest growing sport in the world :(

Thanks,
    Tom

18. aikiMac

Ya, I sadly have to agree. A couple years ago I was on record as saying, even shouting, that Pac would kill him, but now, if this was the fight set for December, I would predict Mayweather on points. :( :cry:

I hate that this fight never happened. Three cheers for the UFC for making the good fights instead of dodging them, you know?

19. MaxSmith

MaxSmith Valued Member

Agreed.

People complain but there is a lot to be said for a single promotion over a group of disjointed promoters.

20. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

I completely agree. I was in the same boat as you. The old, destructive, dangerous Pacquiao, whom we got to see the glimpses of over his annihilation of the 17 lb larger Margarito is the Pacquiao that would have destroyed Mayweather and put his defense to the test.

However, as well all know, that Pacquiao is gone. I am going to watch Pacquiao fight in December (at a sports bar, no way in hell am I going to give them money for the fight) just to see if the old Pacman is still hanging somewhere in there. He himself promises that the old him will return to the ring but that could just be hype.

On the flip side, Mayweather looked good but extremely vulnerable against Cotto. I love Miguel Cotto, he's got a great head on his shoulders. He's slow and very traditional when it comes to his style but his aggression and pressure tested Mayweather's speed and defense. I haven't seen Mayweather hit like that in a long, long time, not since he fought De la Hoya I think?

Either way, both fighters Pacquiao and Mayweather appear to be on the decline right now but I would agree and say Mayweather's style would have him winning on points. It would be too technical, no one would be hurt badly Pacquiao-Marquez style, and would most likely turn out to be a huge let-down even if it did happen.