Pacquaio vs. Alvarez being discussed

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Saved_in_Blood, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Apparently between arum and Oscar. I'm quite sure Roach is smart enough not to let his fight take that fight... and can you imagine what sort of catchweight would be proposed? Floyd did it at 152 and I thought that was just purely stupid. I HATE a catchweight fight. Why 2 lbs? Beat the guy at his weight, or you don't belong there.

Meanwhile, after having the scare in the 4th round and later where Bradley hurt Manny to the body Roach has decided that 140 is the best weight for Manny now :rolleyes: interesting now that he has no real power at 147.

2. puma

puma Valued Member

I think Floyd was just being awkward. He would have beaten Alvarez with no weight limit at all. I think Pacquiao should take this fight to prove he can be competitive with Mayweather. I don't think he can, and I don't think he'll fight Alvarez.

3. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I think you to mean "difficult"

I suppose I could see that. Its part of the ego thing for them oftentimes. Make the other bloke jump through as many contractual hoops as one can. Part of the submitting of an opponent - along with trash talk and the rest.

4. belltoller

I can't see that fight happening for said reason.

But now that line of thinking opens up a can o worms, donnit?

Seeing how absolutely one-sided Mayweather/Alvarez turned to be...

5. Saved_in_Blood

Have to agree... Alvarez beating Austin Trout was a good win for him, and gave him a very good boost for fighting Floyd, and Trout is a very good fighter honestly, so Alvarez likely felt like many of us did in that at the very least he could have given Floyd a lot of trouble, only to find out that Floyd's abilities were outerwordly.

Of course outside of the ring Floyd acts like a moron, but there's a lot of guys who are probably like that on tv and would be a lot of fun to actually be around, so who knows. I can't say I'm impressed or care much for the cars, the jewelry and all of that flashy crap though.

6. puma

puma Valued Member

I am impressed by that! I'm shallow and want everything Floyd has got! Not too keen on his jewellery, but he can give me a few cars!

7. belltoller

I've first divs on his Bentley Mulsanne - though, without the rest of it; the Mansion, the clothes, the butlers - it'd seem out of place having it.

8. Saved_in_Blood

I haven't seen anything else about this fight being discussed. There's really no reason for it. Alvarez would have to come down in weight and after the scare Manny had in the 4th with Bradley the word is Roach wants his to move down to 140.

9. belltoller

No, have heard no mention of Alvarez. I've heard that Ruslan Provodnikov's name is being bounced around Top Rank due to it beginning to look as if Marquez isn't interested in doing a 5th chorus.

10. Saved_in_Blood

I don't know if Ruslan is a good choice... the guy can definitely punch and while his skills are limited, he could be dangerous for Manny at 140 if indeed he does go down from WW.

Marquez would only take the fight for the money, before he had a burning desire to get that win he knew he deserved. arum wants the fight in Macau and while that would help Manny as far as not having to pay taxes in 2 places... Marquez certainly would not get any sort of decision if it came to that.

11. belltoller

You are correct regarding Pacquiao taking a risk for a KO with this one. One of Arum's choices, this Russian, though who knows.

Marquez's alleged feelings were that he's beaten Manny 3 times already and has been robbed twice!

I'm not sure if I agree with that....but that's the thinking from his end.

But I think he'll end up doing it.

Would be nice to have some new blood, but that's not how things work.

12. Saved_in_Blood

I'd have to watch the second fight again, as I felt it was very close... but I definitely feel he should have gotten the nod in the 3rd fight. He completely outboxed Manny and made him revert back to his old double jab straight left combo much of the time. It was only a matter of time before someone took advantage of his lunging straight left. I'm surprised Marquez, being the very smart boxer that he is took so long to actually get that.

13. belltoller

Edit:

Besides, Alvarez is fighting Laura in July

As I'm typing this, watching the replay of Showbox's Stevenson/Fonfara - some nice fights and Stevenson just gained himself another fan. Whew...Fonfara has some surprising resiliency and quite a chin - I'm watching Fonfara take some massive shots - both body and head. Just unbelievable he hasn't been KO'd yet (11th round) He even downed Stevenson, but I missed that. Furious pace in the 11/12th - especially given their wgt class.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  14. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

It's not that surprising actually. Manny was too fast to get caught like that before, but he slowed down enough that Marquez could catch him in that fight.

15. Saved_in_Blood

Saw it too, Fonfara took a knockdown as well earlier and then put some punches together finally and put him down. I liked how Jim grey asked him about kovelov, LOL Stevenson gets Ko'd for a week if he fights him. He won't though Stevenson was an hbo fighter and so is kovelov, that fight got close and Stevenson ran for showtime.

16. Saved_in_Blood

I don't think that was it, Marquez worked on that shot his entire training camp, there are videos of his sparring and doing it.

17. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Pacquiao has been doing that his entire career. I'm sure people were aiming for it all the time, but his freakish dashing speed didn't allow people to hit him properly like Marquez did. And they definitely tried.

And being the counter puncher that he is, I doubt he needed 3 fights with the same guy to figure out that he should've been aiming for that shot.

Pacquiao slowed down just enough to be able to get caught by that shot.

18. Saved_in_Blood

So it was that little bit of slowing down that allowed Bradley to knock him off both feet with the same shot too? On a side note... don't you think Roach, being 4 or 5 time TOTY that he is wouldn't have spotted that and said "hey, let's do something to keep you from getting put to sleep at some point"?

Edit again: Perhaps this is why the fight with Floyd never happened... what's Floyd's favorite punch? How much faster and better is he than even Marquez?

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  19. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Floyd doesn't punch through his targets though, so that won't happen. But he would beat Pacquiao black and blue though.

Roach may have thought the same. "He is too fast to get caught anyway". Who knows?

20. Saved_in_Blood

agree, I think Roach is a good trainer... I don't think he's as good as some, and he does certainly deserve credit, but like any trainer, he's good at picking the right opponents as well, I feel like Cotto with him is a better match for instance. I think that with a different trainer early in Manny's career he would have been a more complete fighter in that they would have tightened up his defense and got him working more combinations with other boxers rather than just throwing the 1-2 1-2 a lot. Manny's a great fighter, I just feel with better defense he would have been even better.