pa kua chang

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by AmericanFighter, Jul 14, 2008.

1. AmericanFighter

AmericanFighter Valued Member

does anyone. Here train in pa kua or bagua I have ben for about 6 months now and would like to talk to someone about it a guy told me to post here

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  2. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

You want to talk to someone about the art or about a guy in the art?

3. AmericanFighter

the art park has trained so many people I am interested in how some others teach it. do you train under Jason?

4. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

check out the IMA forum, you'll find more on bagua there.

You are refering to Park Bok Nam ? sorry if I've spelt it wrong. Is it Cheng style you practice?

I only cross train/ have crossed trained a little bagua. Why not post a bit about your training on the IMA forum, it can get a bit quiet over there, and it's nice to hear about what other people are doing / training, who with etc.

5. wujibu

wujibu Valued Member

I've trained bagua for quite a few years.
    I've trained and seen several different styles, so if you have any specific questions, I might be able to help you out. :)

6. AmericanFighter

yes I see park at summer camps but I train with someone that is local in louisville ky

if you ever see park never say anything that could be misunderstood as challenge to him.

Once people were sitting around with him and they were talking about how to kick a chair up in the air like Jacky Chan does. " One person said you have to kick it at an upward motion." park replied " No you actually kick it down." the other man replied " no you can't do that!" Park then stood up kicked a chair in to the that persons face then while he was stunned park kicked him in the balls and walked out. Moral of the story never challenge Park Bok Nam or say Pa Kua Chang is like tai chi

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  7. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Sounds like a bit of a doyle to me... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't want to learn from someone like that.

8. AmericanFighter

Well he's the best and he is actually a good guy but he learned the style traditionally in china and he is huge on respect. If you chalange him he will take it personal like he did with the guy I just told you about. Most people forget what martial arts is really like because it has been so americanized. Read the book the fundamentals of Pa Kua Chang if you want get a feel for how harsh the training is in china. Its not as bad in the us but park does push respect and discipline in a huge way. remember in china this was a lifestyle not just a fighting art.

as I said before I train with a guy that trained under him and is a certified teacher but I would have no problem training under Park if he was closer.

here is the website
    http://www.pa-kua.com/
    the FYI tab will give you a preview of the style

I have tried several different styles and I think this is the best

9. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

My bagua teacher was trained in China, in the traditional way. And he manages to not be a pratt.

If he takes things so personally, it sounds like he has unresolved issues. Like I said, I wouldn't train with someone like that.

10. kingoftheforest

kingoftheforest It's Good to be the King

Wow somebody (Park) has an ego going on. Never had a teacher that temperamental before myself. In fact I've never had a TCMA teacher who made us wear outfits or even bow to him. Most of my teachers were down to earth regular guys who said temper and ego were for kids, and fighting was for self defense (life or well being threatening situations) only.

My teacher trained with Shi Pe Shi and Adam Hsu. And while you can say Bagua is not like Tai Chi it's not wrong but not really right either.

Bagua, Xing Yi, and Tai Chi are all relatives of each other. Sun Lu Tang wrote some great books on each one.

I'm not exact on Adam Hsu's lineage but I know Shi Pe Shi trained under Sun Lu Tang who trained under Dong Hai Chuan.

As far as Bagua goes we focus on the Eight mother palms, proper stepping and circle walking. As well as applications for these.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  11. wujibu

wujibu Valued Member

Park sounds like a nut.
    Also, I don't agree that he's the best.
    There are many other teachers who have better bagua than him. :woo:

12. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Hsu's PK is Yin Fu's.

Park trained in Korea.

Sun learned from Cheng,T'ing-hua.

If someone has good stuff and is willing to teach it I'd study with him,even if he was a so-and so in some ways.Not an uncommon situation in many paths of learning,whether music,law,trades or MAs.

"Take his jutsu and leave his do" was a translation from the Japanese I once read in regard to such situations.

13. AmericanFighter

park is a good guy and a great teacher as long as you dont disrespect him

14. snake_vs_crane

snake_vs_crane Valued Member

You saw this happen AmericanFighter?