Overtraining: A Crash Course...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Bigmikey, Oct 4, 2010.

1. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Since (about march this year) taking vitamin d3 I havent had a cold. When I feel im getting a cold I take 7500iu instead of 5000. I usually get colds quite a lot.

2. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

I've been going through some of this. I lift most days, and recently started training +3 times a week in martial arts. I'm considering cutting it down to lift on day, train another for six days and have a day off. I've been unable to sleep, I've plateau'd in lifting and Ive not been able to stop drinking water

So something like this

monday: muay thai
    tuesday: lower body
    wednesday: hung gar
    thursday: upper body
    friday: ninjutsu
    saturday: tai chi
    sunday: rest

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

You might just need a few rest weeks in your schedule. You cant train the same intensity every week.

4. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

yeah, had to do some adjusting, I've been bruising and getting blood spots under the skin whenever I lift, so Im actually adjusting for now.

Monday: Muay
    Tuesday: Yoga
    Wednesday: Parkour
    Thursday: Yoga
    Friday: Ninjutsu
    Saturday: Rest
    Sunday: At the moment its between capoiera or wing chun

I may try to incoporate a lift day depending how much I like either of the sunday classes, but muscle isn't really what Im interested in anymore

5. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Whatever happened to Mikey? Been ages since I've seen a post from him.

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Mikey is okay.

A couple of health scares and Jen, his wife, has also been unwell.

Mikey has had some trouble finding employment, but I believe has just started a new job.

He still posts on FB, but no longer posts here, as he felt the site wasn't run as he to his liking.

He tried to set up his own forum, but I don't think it ever took off.

Mikey is still a member and is certainly welcome back at any time.

It's a shame when any member leaves, but especially when they have so much knowledge.

7. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

He moved on a while back. Looking through his last posts might explain. I could pop him an email and try to entice him back? :p

8. ambersports

ambersports Banned Banned

Very thanks mikey

9. Dead_pool

Whats you actual aim?

10. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

well to break it down simply.

Yoga's for flexibility, core strength, peace of mind (the last being my highest priority since anxiety attacks have become a thing in my life lately, and who can train in MA with their head a mess, right?)

Parkour I do as an enjoyment thing mostly, but the workout it gives is nice, and it gets a lot of energy used up to help me sleep.

The Muay I find is helping my speed when it comes to strikes, and there's body conditioning and fitness involved at the class, which is quite different from Booj classes.

The Ninjutsu's my main style, though it too is becoming a 'love it because I enjoy it' thing.

Any other training right now is for enjoyment or giving me a new perspective on fighting. Capo looks like a really good laugh and it might compliment my yoga and parkour, but we'll see how that goes down tomorrow. I also thought I'd enjoy Iaido, but it didn't really click with me despite years of iai in booj'in.

Hung Gar, well, I always fancied learning a Chinese system at some point for interest.

I'm not planning on going competative or anything. Then again there's also the possibility of me having to rework this entire thing depending if I get more freelance contracts. It's all a bit up in the air at the moment where I'm at.

11. Dead_pool

Id hit the caporia, yoga and MT everyweek, and parkour when I had time and then take more classes of what you enjoy (I.e. more yoga or more cap etc) when you have time.

Edit I forgot ninjutsu, do the 2 or 3 you most enjoy and do them more if you can, once a week is not enough really to get anything but a passing feel for it.

12. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

HOWDY!

So.... who missed me? :D

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Haha, ask and you shall receive.

How ya doin' big guy?

14. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

For what it's worth, I've gotten horribly out of shape. I'll be basically starting from square one, and, if there's any desire, I'll gladly post pics and progress reports. At 46 this will be the hardest climb back I've ever faced. Two knee surgeries and an achilles tendon reattachment surgery (thank you very much Hapkido), will make it difficult but I'm kind of looking forward to the challenge.

15. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

The ninjutsu might be an issue there, since my instructors class is only on friday nights, unless I trained elsewhere at the same time (which might not be impossible, there's a class in manchester I was meaning to look at)

Wednesday 7-9.

That would put me at

Monday: Muay
    Tuesday: Yoga
    Wednesday: Ninjutsu
    Thursday: Yoga
    Friday: Ninjutsu
    Saturday: Rest
    Sunday: Capo

Something I will ask though. The Hung Ga, as much as I enjoyed, is a bit of a trek for me on the finances (Preston to Liverpool) which makes it somewhat of an irregular training location for the moment. Even if I only trained there once or twice a month, do I still assume it's not enough even if I train in my own time?

16. Dead_pool

5 arts at once is a lot to practise. Adding 4 hours a month of something else isnt doing that art or yourself any good.

You say yoga and ninjutsu is your priority. That do most of your training in your priority.
    And on rest weeks just do those.

17. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

You're a sight for sore eyes!

18. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Well, welly, well; don't look now but monkeys are on the wing. I reckon our man Crow warn't pullin our legs, then!

Someone resuscitated an old thread of yorn and it got us to thinkin what became of you.

Glad you are still amongst the living - hope you are in good health. The last post I recall from you, ironically, was some medical advice you had for me regarding septicemia - I was gone for a year and one/half or something after that. I'm still plagued ( no pun intended ), had another surgery half - year or more ago to get rid of it...I ... don't think it gone - but I'm at least giving lip service to getting back into training.

I know what you mean when you say "out of shape now" :(

How's the missus?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  19. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

Would training boxing for an hour and then muay thai for an hour 30 min each day be considered overtraining. Or should I just listen to my body?

20. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Listening to your body is always wise, flick back through this thread for warning signs your body might give you. Just enjoy your training and take a rest day or 2 if you feel you need it : )