oversensitive/downright ridiculous behavior

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by forever young, Oct 31, 2011.

1. forever young

forever young Valued Member

Ok felt the need to create this thread after glancing over chadderz last thread, a simple throwaway remark was made and people instantly jumped on it and start asking for name and shame and also chadderz started getting the spanish inquisition about how normal it was for blackbelts to roll with the students after simply saying he felt it was cool to have the opportunity to roll with the instructor.
    I have mentioned in a thread myself about rolling after a meal and also a few comments about isotonic drinks and was subjected to stupid comments.

seriously people wtf? the current vibe/feeling stifflles discussion which is afterall what this is about. I left this boad once as it was getting ridiculous and tbh after recently revisiting i see nothing has changed. seriously get your acttogether people or you will never have any decent discussion or half decent levelguys as they dont need to be grilled over statements that simply are not worth the time or are obviously throwaway comments.

eg if i feel isotonic drinks help me and i state this am I really expected to produce studies and evidence backing this up?

I would understand if I was making unreasonable claims or selling something but c'mon dudes really?

obviously this is one example but there are many instances of this type of 'calling out' behaviour which I feel is innapropriate and unnessecary.

just something I have noticed and continue to see throughout :confused:

again I am stating this as I see it, if you expect me to start trawling threads to post examples your going to be waiting a long time,

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

If there is a problem with any thread, or reply within a thread, then use the report function, then the MOD Team can take a look at the offending remark and decide collectively on any necessary action.

By biting back you feed the trolls. If you feel a thread has beed derailed, then report it. The report function is completely anonymous.

Threads like this do little to help the mater.

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Or sine we know regular MAPpers are not trolls we can give a reasonable response.

surprisingly no one has responded to my black belt comment after the name and shame... which makes me think they secretly agree.

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I asked that question out of genuine curiosity - it was hardly a malicious question.

The impression I got from the thread title/first post was "wow, a Brazilian jujitsu instructor sparred with his students!!!!" which made me think "hmmm, is this unusual then? I thought BJJ prided itself of being a practical, down-to-earth style without all the trappings of ego that sometimes come with martial arts classes". If instructors refused to ever spar with their students, that would've lead me to revaluate what I believed about BJJ. Simple as that.

5. Mangosteen

Oh a classic case of internet translation where the content lost all emotional context and was interpreted by the reader with their own emotional content.
    Ego is a big thing eve in BJJ. They say they don't but they do.

Lowest ego i've seen - female bjjers

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

And that is exactly the kind of thing that sets off arguements.

Opinion is fine, but what have you achieved with that post?

7. Mangosteen

Good Point
    Okay. i shall elaborate.

At a starting level ego is a big thing. We all understand that.

Yet even at higher levels its still there a little.
    See the thread on this years ADCC:
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104692&highlight=year+leglock

From what i've seen with female bjjers is that they accept their physical strength disadvantages a lot more than guys and focus on technique heck load more. They really aren't bothered about tapping out because they're used to people just strengthening through them.
    Therefore they begin focus on technique a lot more.

8. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I'm not exactly sure what a name and shame is but any disciplining that needs to be done can and is done by the mods who do an awesome job of keeping the peace here on MAP. No they can't be everywhere at all times but they do a great job as they read through every single post.

9. sony

sony Valued Member

I think it's rather legitimate to bring up the matter of how discussions are conducted here, how people react to postings (no matter whether I agree with the op or not) - even or rather especially when the things that disturb the op are below the threshold of violating the TOS. So I find an answer like "if it's against the TOS, report it and we will look into the matter; otherwise shut up" a bit funny. The OP was not criticizing the mods, not accusing them of being lazy with controlling the forum, he was just making an observation regarding what he considers bad discussion-culture (nothing to do with reportable/bannable offences).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It was totally a legit question, the context of the thread wasn't really, "Wow, A BB rolled with me". More of "Wow a BJJ BB rolled with me and I learned a lot, and I'm just at the beginner level"

I would've put it in the title, but it wasn't catchy :p

11. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

First and foremost remember this is the internet which, unfortunately is devoid of facial expression, intonation, inflection and emotion. I can't tell you how many times I've watched simple comments errupt into exercises in typing hard simply because someone forgot a smilie and accidental offense occured.

Many of us have had this happen to us - myself chief among them I'd wager. Tone/attitude and obstinance set my teeth on edge and are often wrongfully perceived. I've reacted to several posts from those I consider solid cyber-friends only to find out later that I simply misunderstood the intent so I can speak from experience here, its far easier to take a moment, send a PM or ask in the open for clarification or explanation than it is to react and then apologize later.

I've sent a few "Have I done something to get you angry with me?" PMs which have led to clarification and understanding where it would have been simple to just attack the perceived threat and come off looking like a jackass.

Always allow for the loss of intent from the poster to the post via the keyboard. Ask before you anger and I think often times you'll find that the people hear are simply seeking answers to curiosity rather than a reason to type hard at you.

12. Bigmikey

I really LOL'd at that :D

13. Pretty In Pink

Yeah this isn't a dig at the MODs, they do there job well enough, it comes down to the invasiveness of the remarks/questions for small comments.

Lack of teh communicationz IMO.

14. Kid Moe

Kid Moe Peace that don't belong

:bow1:

15. Bigmikey

'Zactly home-slice, egg-zactly! :D

16. Pretty In Pink

Yeah, not to be off-topic, but what happened to Zaad? D:

17. Bigmikey

He was naughty and big brother was watching. He's got himself a 3 day time-out.

18. sony

sony Valued Member

What did he write?

19. Bigmikey

No idea. But if you check the banned members list it gives a general explaination as to why he's on the naughty stool.

20. sony

sony Valued Member

Yeah, I saw that and was curious - couldn't find any bad postings (anymore), though.