Overheating - Thermal Paste?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Princess Haru, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

So my laptop is getting worse - I watched a dvd the other day and had two power breaks, also popped an icepad under after elevating to keep the air a bit cooler - and I feel it's time to try replacing the thermal paste on the CPU/GPU but have a couple of questions:

1. There are a lot of options for thermal paste. Is Arctic Silver 5 really worth the extra few quid? Or any other brands like Antec

2. Can you really buy the isopropyl alcohol cleaner at a pharmacy?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3gx6c62D7I"]How to Remove and Apply Thermal Compound [Updated Tutorial] - YouTube[/ame]

2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I've installed Core Temp. So far I can see on sites such as MAP the temp is around 67C but running Youtube its upto 85-90C, at a max of 100C

3. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

1) If you're an overclocker and need to squeeze out as much heat as physically possible, then yes. For normal applications, no.
    2) Yes.

Before you go this route however, check that there is no dust clogging up the laminations of the cooler, and that any fans are working properly. Those 2 things are common causes of overheating.