Outward pointing knees

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by flaming, May 31, 2007.

1. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

This is a much better answer, thanks.

Am I reading that correct? You're saying that no amount of stretching and strengthening will address postural issues?

2. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Ignore the eedgit who is trying to recommend Tai Chi as a serious remedy to a physical issue.

Go to a doctor and ask them, if it is of concern they will refer you to a physiotherapist or pediatrist both who know about these things. Me.. my knees go SIDEWAYS when I lock out the legs while standing however when I asked the physio he was just like 'Everyones different, it's not a problem'

3. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Ive lookd at peoples postur this week and it appears everyone nearly has anterior pelvic tilt. Even football players, do football(soccer) players in this country not lift weights or something?

4. TheCount

If you are really concerned about posture etc take a session with a physio. The worst that can happen is they tell you you are healthy.

5. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

No, that is not what I am saying. What I am saying is that the body and mind are intricately linked, so even though you may correct the problem via stretching and strengthening, you are bound to repeat the problem as you are not consciously aware of why and how you have caused the problem. If you were aware of it, literally been able to feel the processes involved, this problem would not occur in the first place. Bringing the body in to ones awareness on a greater scale mitigates many such problems, as one is a lot more aware of tension, relaxation and the difference between the two. In turn this not just about posture, it is about movement too. The more control you have over your body the more you can get out of it, understanding tension and relaxation is key. In my experience this is the best way to go about such problems, I don’t see why one would not want to specifically train ones awareness to a greater degree, seems like ignorance to me.

Speaking of ignorance, thanks for the personal attack TheCount, maybe you should take the “o” out of your name, I think that would be much more accurate. :p

6. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

uhm, been there, done that, think it's rubbish. if it works for you, great, but I don't see it getting much play in the H/F forum.

you're better off with a good physio or doctor any day.

7. TheCount

Thats the 8th time you've said that. Not necessary.

8. Kralk

Kralk Valued Member

Yeah then mix some forgs legs, batwings and rabbit blood on the night of a full moon and it will cure you.

If your worried about it do the sensible thing and go see a physio.

9. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

My knees also face outwards when locked, physio said its not really a problem, but was recomended not to do squats.

10. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

If that’s your opinion, then fair enough. Out of curiosity, how long have you been there and done that for?

No, that’s the first time I’ve said that. But I will say that 7 more times if you keep insulting me.

And you experience with IMA is what?

11. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Guys, back off with the personal attacks and bickering please. Let's keep it civil.

12. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Long enough to realize I wasn't gonna try it a second time. Spent too long using t'ai chi to "rehab" my shoulder (about a year, didn't work, needed surgery anyway), and it was worthless. Wasn't about to waste the time (or money) on some mystic mumbo-jumbo to fix my knees when I knew what the cause of the pain was and was simply able to move to a less kicking-oriented art.

Of course, once again you'll tell me how with "proper" instruction I wouldn't have had this problem, and I'll tell you that tcc is nothing more than death by boredom for me, and we'll go back to not commenting to each other just like in my "I started BJJ classes" thread.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  13. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

LOL... very true! :D

I am sorry your experience is such, but IMO I think whoever you studied tai chi with wasted your time, but you knew I was gonna say that. :cool:

On a similar note, I had a shoulder injury which I tried to rehabilitate via chiropractor and osteopath, this was at a time when I was taking a brake from my tai chi training for a good 9 months and was mostly playing with kettlebells. After 3-4 months of treatment nothing improved. I went back to some internal training and fixed the problem in 3 days. Nothing mystical, just awareness and relaxation.

Good luck with the BJJ!

14. TheCount

What I think the IMA'ers are trying to point out is if you maintain focus and bodily control you and force the weak muscles to work thus evening out imbalances and improving your posture etc.

However this is the first thing a physio will show you how to do and you don't have to spend x hundreds seeing them over the course of a year to do it. They show you once, give you a check up or two problem solved. That is of course if it is a problem.

Oh, did I mention Physios are qualified to comment about this sort of thing :\

15. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

And that is really the root of my issues as well. How many TCCers have a formal education in anatomy, physiology, etc. Hell, how many MAers have one? I see lots of advice handed out by folks who aren't qualified except on the mystic side of things.

16. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Never been to a physio before myself, but, it sounds like a good way to go about it. The principle I go by is that if you don’t get to the root of the problem, it will always tend to come back, symptomatic relief is likely to be only temporary. Unless we intimately know our faults and mistakes, we are bound to repeat them, or something like that.

17. TheCount

inthespirit.. your contribution has just degraded into burbling.

The concencus is if the OP is concerned they should see a Physio who is infinitely more qualified to diagnose and tret him than a Tai Chi teacher. Topic Closed?

18. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Huh? Maybe it just seems like burbling to you due to your level of intellect?

I never said that a tai chi teacher is more qualified to treat the OP than a physio. I said IMA is a good investment for your future health as it will give you greater awareness of your body so that you may prevent and mitigate problems by yourself.

With something like taiji or any other IMA, one has to know, be able to feel and use ones own structure in a very distinct way, otherwise ones IMA is superficial and most likely useless. Of course this is not equivalent to a formal education in anatomy/physiology. Likewise, experiential understanding and knowledge of ones own structure is a useful tool and this is something you cant get through exercising your intellect. IMO neither side of this paradigm is complete without the other. In my experience my own knowledge and work has helped me a lot more than any doctor. Then again, maybe I’m not seeing the right doctors. ;)

What is the mystic side of things?

19. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

A) Awareness of your body =/= ability to diagnose or treat sports-related injuries (or any other malady for that matter) suffered by someone else. You may be able to do it on your own, but you are absolutely, 100% unqualified to be handing out advice to anyone else.

B) I'll avoid answering your question as we'll begin the ages old debate on "chi" and "meditation" and all that other fun stuff which has been done ad nauseum on MAP. Hardcore TCCers believe in it, I don't, and that's as far as I'm willing to take it. I don't believe in Chi Kung, Nei Kung, or any of that other stuff. Sorry, not buying into the whole "hold you hand in this position, make this breathing sound and you can heal this part of your body".

C) Actually, I will answer your second question. As you put it "awareness of relxation." Having done TCC under a qualified instructor, I don't believe it. You can say what you want abouit his ability, but the fact of the matter was IT DIDN'T WORK. The breathing techniques, meditation techniues... that's all mystic mumbo jumbo. My personal trainer is a lot better at fixing things, go figure.

20. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Yep, I agree with you to a certain extent and I don’t normally do it, and I don’t think I did it in this thread. The point I did/am/was trying to make is as in my last reply to TheCount.
    Thank God for that. But I will say that many different IMA folk, believe very different things, saying they all believe in Chi and such is a generalisation.
    Fair enough, different people, different experiences.