Out of the Badlands

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Steel Accord, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Steel Accord

Steel Accord Valued Member

As much as Into the Badlands is probably one of my new favorite shows it's eluded a spot other "favorites" of mine usually occupy. Never when I watch it do I think, God I would want to live there if I could!

Now on the one level this is not surprising as it is a feudal society where the only masters are regents and senior clippers and the only valued virtues are strength and loyalty whereas compassion and wisdom are punished; everyone else is either a cog or risks the life of a nomad.

Still, it's a meritocracy where talent in the martial arts is a much more respected skill set. You'd think I would find that at least a little appealing.

In all honesty I kind of have thought out a place of where I would fit in this world. Mostly because I do it almost without thinking with a lot of stuff I watch. I'd probably be dead in the pit as a colt, but if I lived I would be a clipper. Mostly because I know myself well enough to know that loyalty, fierce loyalty at that, is a trait I posses. I would seek no hire on the totem pole though. Much as I admire it in others, I'm not a very ambitious person and would just be happy to serve.

What about any of you though? Where would you fit in this world if you were born to it? Would you be a cog or clipper? Escape to the hard life of a nomad? Maybe even aim for the top and become a Baron?

2. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Isn't it a post-apocalyptic show? Job done, I'd say.

3. Steel Accord

Steel Accord Valued Member

Not really, it does take place after an unspecified collapse but it's more "dystopia" than "post-apocalypse." There are slight differences between the genres.

Second of all, how is it "job done?"